Amrita School of Business stresses the need for holistic education for those aspiring to pursue MBA program. Keeping in line with the principle that one's education should be for life, as well as for living, the curriculum has been designed and updated to provide for a balance between courses focusing on functional aspects for managing a business and personal aspects for managing oneself.
Learning at ASB is a synergy of unique teaching methodologies comprising of lectures, case discussions, seminars, presentations, group activity, business games, role plays, soft skills training, and field projects. A typical student day consists of at least three classroom sessions of seventy five minutes duration, one hour of hands-on experience in the computer centre, and at least two hours of course preparatory work (both individually and in groups) for every one hour of classroom session; requiring on an average, ten to twelve hours of total work each day.
Case Study Method: The case study method, a staple of the top B-Schools in the world finds extensive use in ASB especially in the second year elective courses. ASB is a member of the Harvard Business Publishing (HBP) as well as European Case Clearing House (ECCH) - the premier repository for management cases in the world. In addition to the use of management cases in classes, students have also been encouraged to write live cases in certain courses such as in International Business, where groups of students wrote up on the globalization experiences of companies in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Role Plays: Role plays find extensive use in courses such as Business Communication, Organizational Behavior, Sales and Distribution Management, and Cross Cultural Management.
Business Games: The course Cross Cultural Management - also features a unique, and extremely powerful pedagogical device management games created by student groups to test and teach cross-cultural concepts.
Live Projects: Many ASB courses involve fieldwork where students interact with corporates and other institutions in course related live projects. The courses utilizing field based projects cut across the different academic disciplines. In some courses such as Marketing Research, the ASB alumni mentor and occasionally commission the project work. In general, the group projects have proven to be excellent tools to bring class-room learning to life; to connect the students with their alumni and industry; and to give an experience of the 'real world' dynamics to the students, many of whom have no prior industry experience.
Summer Projects: Every summer, first year MBA students undertake industry projects of 8to 10 week duration on various functional areas of management on company premises. This paves way for a confident landing in corporate assignments after their MBA Program. Students are provided a good exposure to interact with professionals from the industry on different functional areas, which enhances their caliber to face corporate placements. This year each student was assigned an ASB alumnus as a summer project mentor.
Value Education: ASB believes in imparting an education for life along with an education for a living. As a step in this direction, the course Self Awareness and Personal Growth is an integral part of the curriculum for both years. This course provides an opportunity for holistic learning. It also involves the practice of yoga and meditation to help tide over the demands of stress filled corporate life. In addition, a course on "Managerial Values and Business Ethics" is taught as a core course in second year. The emphasis on values of course extends much beyond the formal coursework - it is reflected in almost every choice we have made.
Field Trips and Industrial Visits: Faculty take active interest on scheduling field trips to bring in a real-life experience of concepts being covered in class. These field trips may involve local industries (in Bangalore), and overnight stays (such as in Chennai and Hyderabad).
- The minimum qualification required to apply for admission to the MBA Program is a Bachelor’s Degree (10+2+3 years of education) with minimum of 50% Marks.
- All the entrance Tests like CAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT, GRE, XAT, IBL-TOEFL*, IELTS* is required
- Degree in any discipline which is recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Those appearing for the final year of the Bachelor’s degree examinations may also apply subject to completing their examinations and viva-voce, if any, before 30th June 2017.
- Such candidates are advised to produce a letter from their college Principal/Head of Institution stating the examination dates, at the time of personal interview and/or admissions.
- Consolidated marks sheets must be furnished before Oct 31, 2017.
- Degree certificates to be furnished by Dec 31, 2017.
- If admitted student failing to meet the eligibility criteria, he/she will be required to withdraw from the programme.
- A minimum IBT - TOEFL score of 79 / IELTS score 6.5 is a must
- NRI and students of foreign origin are required to take the GMAT test (Maximum of five percent NRI and /or foreign candidates may be admitted through GMAT with a minimum score of 550) and they should process their application through Director - Corporate and International Relations, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritanagar P.O, Coimbatore, India.
- Candidates with appropriate industry experience will have an added advantage for admissions. Their work experience will be given due weightage (in terms of the company & the role they have worked and the duration of the work experience).
*TOEFL/IELTS score is not required at the time of application, required only at the time of admissions.
Names of candidates who are short-listed will be posted on our website, School of Business. Selected candidates will be called for a Personal Interview (PI) during the third week of March. Interviews will be held at Amritapuri, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai and New Delhi. The date and venue of the interview will be intimated to the shortlisted candidates by email and post / courier. Candidates are advised to visit our website regularly during the admission months. The list of selected candidates will be announced on our website, School of Business. The individual candidates will also be intimated by email, post / courier within 15 days of the PI. The selected candidates are required to pay the first installment of the fees within 15 days from the date of intimation of final selection.
The number of seats available for the 2-year MBA Program starting on 2017 is 60.
The School organizes a two week orientation Program for the incoming batches. This Program of preparatory studies is mandatory before students begin their regular curriculum. The exact dates will be intimated to the selected students after the schedule is finalized.
Every new batch at ASB also goes through Corporate Theater Workshops, that are popular, powerful theater-based workshops, which emphasize team work and self-discovery.