Back close

Laminectomy Versus Laminoplasty in the Surgical Management of Long-Segment Intradural Spinal Tumors: Any Difference in Neurological Outcomes?

Publication Type : Journal Article

Thematic Areas : Medical Sciences

Publisher : Asian J Neurosurg .

Source : Asian J Neurosurg, Volume 13, Issue 4, p.1128-1133 (2018)

Campus : Kochi

School : School of Medicine

Department : Neurosurgery

Year : 2018

Abstract : Background: Previous comparative studies have shown that apart from lack of any significant difference in neurologic outcomes between laminoplasty and laminectomy following resection of intradural spinal tumours, spinal column issues such as postoperative deformities, malalignment, and adjacent level disease have also been clearly demonstrated to be quite similar for both techniques. However, there is no study yet that describes any difference in neurologic outcomes for long-segment intradural lesions as a rare subset of these lesions (in terms of number of spinal segments involved) following surgical management between these two techniques. Materials and Methods: This is a retrospective review of surgical treatment with either laminectomy or laminoplasty done for patients with long-segment intradural tumors at a tertiary health-care institution in India. Results: Out of over 167 patients surgically treated for intradural tumors during the study period, a total of 60 patients were included in the evaluation. The long-segment tumors were intramedullary in 22 (36.7%) patients and intradural-extramedullary in the remaining 38 (63.3%) patients. No patient in both cohorts had any revisional surgery after initial resection or any serious complications. The incidence of neurologic function remaining unchanged at the end of follow-up was similar between laminoplasty and laminectomy (12.5% vs. 11.1%). There was no significant correlation between the preoperative McCormick score and postoperative McCormick score ( > 0.05 at 95% degree of confidence; Spearman's rho = 0.028), suggesting that functional outcomes were not dependent on the initial neurologic status. Multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that : the two independent variables (Extent of surgery and Choice of procedure) were not significant predictors of the dependent variable (Functional outcome following surgery) (odds ratio = 3.836; = 0.071). Conclusion: This retrospective evaluation demonstrates laminoplasty not to be more or less likely to have any better functional outcome or need for revision compared to laminectomy in the resection of long-segment intradural lesions. A quality randomized controlled study on a much larger scale will be required to validate this finding.

Cite this Research Publication : C. U. Onyia and Dr. Sajesh K. Menon, “Laminectomy Versus Laminoplasty in the Surgical Management of Long-Segment Intradural Spinal Tumors: Any Difference in Neurological Outcomes?”, Asian J Neurosurg, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1128-1133, 2018.

Admissions Apply Now