Activities at Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Amritapuri Campus
Every year the department conducts Faculty Development Programs, Workshops, co-ordinates Seminars and Student Paper Presentations to present the students and faculties with opportunities to exhibit their talents and improve their skills by having a healthy competition among their peers. Amrita brings about the best in each student by providing them ample opportunities to organize and co-ordinate many regional, national and international workshops, seminars, technical fests, participate in a lot of international programming contests. Students and faculty from Amrita have consistently been taking part in many contests and achievements at the global level and this persistent participation in such large numbers have acquired the praise of the co-ordinators.
Faculty Development Programs (FDP)Conducted
- A Talk on Energy efficiency Considerations in Power Systems by Mr.Narayanan A.M. and Talk on The Electric car and the renewable energy Sources- Hype or Solution? by Dr. Peter Magyar, December 2012.
- A three day faculty development program on Ethics in Teaching during December 5 - December 7, 2012.
- A three day faculty development program on Laboratory Experiments & Equipment Maintenance(as a part ofInauguration of Equipment repair centre) during November 29- November 30, 2012.
- A talk on Safe Switching for Operation & Maintenance by MR. Erling Hesla on November 14, 2012.
- A talk on Integrated Energy Management methodology by Mr.Jayakumar Nair on October 16, 2012.
- A three day short term training program on Smart Grid : Application and challenges during Decemeber 21 - December 23, 2010.
- A faculty development program on Lab Sessions on June 2010 and December 2010.
- A faculty development program on Pspice Based System Simulation during December 28 - 29, 2009.
- A faculty development program on Programmable Logic Controllers and SCADA on November 24 - 27, 2009.
Resources Persons: Research engineers from PROLIFIC Systems & Technologies Pvt. Ltd and Ms. Preetha P. K., Asst. Professor, EEE department
Hands-On Training: Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Ladder Logic Program and SCADA software
- A faculty development program on Power System Analysis Using ETAP/PSCAD Software during July 13 - 14, 2009.
Resources Persons:Domain experts from KLG Systel Limited
Lectures and Training:Load Flow Studies, Transient Analysis, Short Circuit Analysis and Transient Stability Analysis using ETAP/PSCAD Based Simulations
- A faculty development program on Power system Relaying during June 19 - June 22, 2009.
Resources Persons:Domain experts from Power Research Development Consultants (PRDC), Bangalore
Hands-On Training: On testing of different numerical relays
- A faculty development program on Soft Computing Techniques during May 13 - May 16, 2009.
Resources Persons: Senior faculty members of EEE Dept, College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram including S. Indulal, Francis M. Fernandez and G. R. Bindu
The FDP had both lectures and hands-on training.
Lectures: Topics covered -- Introduction to Soft Computing Techniques, Fuzzy Logic, Artificial Neural Networks, NeuroFuzzy, Fuzzy Logic Embedded Systems, Realisation of Fuzzy Embedded Systems
Hands-On Training: Introduction to Matlab, Matlab for Artificial Neural Networks, Matlab for Fuzzy Logic, Matlab for Neuro Fuzzy, Introduction to Labview, Labview (Advanced)
Outcome: The FDP was intended to equip faculty members with the latest soft computing tools useful for carrying out project and research work. Teachers from various Amrita campuses attended the four-day training.
- A faculty development program conducted by CCR during December 18 - December 19, 2008.
- A faculty development program on Mi Power Simulation Software during February 11 - 13, 2008.
Resources Persons: Mr.Selva Kumar, Engineer, Power Research and Development Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
Hands-On Training: On Mi Power Simulation software package
- A Workshop on Basic Electronics and Microcontrollers during May 22 - June 3, 2013.
- A workshop on Energy Resource Assessment and Simulation by S.R. Mohanrajan, T.Prabu & M. Jisma during April 26 - April 27, 2013.
- A talk on Energy efficiency Considerations in Power Systems by NarayananA.M. & Talk on The Electric car and the renewable energy Sources- Hype or Solution? by Dr. Peter Magyar on December 20, 2012.
- A workshop on Ethics in Teaching during December 5 - December 7, 2012.
- A talk on Safe Switching for Operation & Maintenance by Erling Hesla on November 14, 2012.
- A technical session by Infosys on Cloud + Services on November 9, 2012.
- A workshop on Secure It Conference during August 17 - August 19, 2012.
- An interaction session with student and faculty and with Prof. Josef Bigun(Professor of Signal Analysis, Halmstad University) on March 23, 2012.
- A talk on Recent trends in Power Systems on January 16, 2009
- A three day workshop on Circuits and Systems during October 20 - October 22, 2008.
- A talk on Electrical Safety on June 30, 2008.
IEEE INDUSTRY APPLICATIONS SOCIETY (IAS)
This is a Student Branch Chapter, officially formed on November 9, 2012 with eight members.
The Student Branch Chapter organizes technical talks by experts in the field of electrical and electronic engineering.
This is the Electrical Engineering Students' Association. The association facilitates technical visits / practical training / project work / employment of student members in R & D laboratories, industries and academic institutions.
It plays a pivotal role in organizing the distinguished lectures for the Department. The Association seeks to encourage team work and the spirit of self reliance among its student members.
Some of ELYZIA's activities include the following:
- Visit to Load dispatch center and Substation Students were provided the unique opportunity of discovering "cutting edge" technology emerging in the industrial sector. On November 5, 2009 final year students participated in an industrial visit to the State Load Dispatch Centre and Substation at Kalamasseri. Amidst their hectic academic schedule, these students also enjoyed the chance to relax during this excursion.
- Distinguished Lecture on Energy Conservation in Daily Life" Dr. P.S. Chandramohan, Department chairperson and former Director, ANERT, delivered a speech on energy conservation in daily life for all staff members of Amritapuri campus on February 2, 2009. A tele film, Energy Maman, was also presented. This session was definitely enlightening to all participants who learned about the importance of energy conservation and methods that can be implemented into our daily life.
- Workshop on Circuit Design ELYZIA, in association with IEEE students chapter, organized a workshop on Circuit Design for July 18, 2008. Students participated with hands-on training on PSPICE for circuit design. Br. Sridhar Babu, Asst. Professor, EEE Department, managed the sessions.
- Lamhe 2009 Farewell to Seniors A farewell function, Lamhe 2009, was organized by pre-final year students for the outgoing batch of the Department on May 9, 2009. The main attraction was the cultural program which included skits, speeches and games.
- Connect '09 Welcome to Incoming First Year Students Newcomers of the EEE Department were given a warm welcome by the Students Association, ELYZIA on July 30, 2009. This function helped to establsh a cordial relationship between senior students and first year incoming students along with providing information about the facilities and norms of the college.