More than 70 Industry Projects have been completed by the group, focused on solving practical industry problems in Supply Chain Responsiveness, Supply Chain Risk Management, Inventory Management, Scheduling and Process improvement. Major industry problems like Defect Reduction, Setup Time Reduction and Productivity Improvement have been solved in numerous industries. The group is interested in providing consultancy and training to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
Some of the focus areas and projects done are given below.
Supply Chain Risk Management
- Supply Chain Risk Mapping – Proactive approach to risk mitigation.
- Empirical Investigation of Supply Disruption in Plastic SMEs using Structural Equation Modeling (Accepted in Int. J. of Productivity and Quality Management)
- Development of Supply Chain Risk Mitigation Index using a Maturity Framework (Review in The TQM journal)
- Assessment of Supply Chain Risk mitigation capability using OM-AHP and DEA (part of the work is published in a national conference MISSA organized by PSG Tech)
- Modelling and Assessment of the Impact of Supply Disruption and Cost of Recovery using System Dynamics Approach (Accepted in Int. J. Industrial and Systems Engineering)
Assessment of the Cost and Impact of Supply Disruption for an Assembly
- Warehouse Analytics and Optimization
- Design of a Lean warehouse for a Heavy machinery manufacturer (Elgi Equipments, Coimbatore)
- Warehouse optimization using demand data analytics using ‘R’ – a case study-based approach (Accepted in Int. J. Business Information Systems)
- Warehouse simulation and optimization using Anylogic (Current project – Combined optimization and DES)
Design of a Warehouse
- Layout design optimizing pick rate with rack design, staging and checking areas, maintenance, loading areas, safety walkways, administrative areas and equipment parking.
- Given product flow dynamics and MHE requirements, the design should be done automatically.
- Dynamic modification of warehouse layout with product flow data.
- Inventory Analytics – Bibliometric Review and Bayesian Networks Approach to Inventory Control
- Development of a Model for Inventory Optimization using System Dynamics (Delphi, Thrissur)
- Delivery Service through an Integrated Inventory Mgt Model using a SD Model (IEOM, Bogota, Colombia)
- Criticality Analysis and Inventory Cost Reduction for High-Value, High Volume Spares (FSN/VED/ABC)
- Optimization and Scheduling of HAZCHEM Logistics with Time Windows: A case study (MILP)
- Agent-based modelling in Capacitated Lot Sizing Problem with Sequence dependent Setup time (Accepted in Int. J. of Operational Research) (Anylogic)
- Improving service levels through bi-echelon inventory positioning – A case study based system dynamics model (Elgi Equipments, Coimbatore)
- Inventory positioning in the supply chain – Current project – A simulation-optimization approach (using Arena)
- A system dynamics model with in-built optimization for inventory positioning
- Machine learning based Job shop Scheduling on MS Excel (python/ML/Excel)
Agility and Supply Chain Responsiveness
- A combined AHP and ISM–based model to assess the agility of supply chain-a case study (Int J. of Integrated Supply Management 7(1), 167-191, 2012).
- Modeling a responsive supply chain through exploratory factor analysis – COSMAR 2012 (IISc)
- Assessing the responsiveness of supply chain – SEM based approach (Int. J. Logistics Systems and Management, 25(4), pp. 558-579, 2016)
- Responsiveness Model of Textile Supply Chain – A Structural Equation Modeling based Investigation (Accepted in Int. J. Services and Operations Management)
- Assessment of Supply Chain Responsiveness using a System Dynamics Model (under review in JOM)
- Evaluation of responsiveness vis-à-vis system efficiency through data envelopment analysis
Process Improvement using Lean Manufacturing Tools
- Quality filter mapping – Foundry/Engine Assembly line/ Small Angle Grinders
- Productivity improvement through VSM and Defect reduction for an automotive component
- Process Improvement of Slim-3 Vertical Machining Centre Assembly Line
- Assembly line Balancing and Workstation Design for a Pump Manufacturing Industry
- Design and Implementation of a Cellular Manufacturing System (CMS) in a Pump manufacturing industry
- Implementation of Lean/Six Sigma in a Pump manufacturing industry
- Defect reduction in a tube rolling mill
- Conversion from batch to single piece assembly line in a pump industry