The restructuring and deregulation of electric utilities together with recent progress in new and renewable energy technologies introduce unprecedented challenges and wide scope for power and energy systems research and open up new opportunities to young Power Engineers. Conventional Power system is redefined and power electronic components are incorporated along with the existing system. This includes flexible ac transmission, HVDC links embedded in the conventional ac transmission networks etc. Further, use of renewable energy such as solar and wind power, coupled with higher efficiency and conservation, will be the key factors to a sustainable world for future generations.
M. Tech. program in Power and Energy Engineering is intended to explore the above mentioned challenges and also initiate research activities. This program provides necessary theoretical background with a good blend of applied mathematics along with in depth coverage in analysis of power and energy systems. The core courses include sustainable, economic, efficient and reliable energy conversion, generation, transmission, distribution, storage and utilization of electric energy, including application of power electronics in power system operation and control.
Duration of the Course: Two years
I. Programme Outcomes
- Acquire in depth knowledge in design, and development of Smartgrid system and, to integrate Distributed Energy Resources, Communication and Information/Intelligent systems in Power systems, considering Indian and global perspective to improve the Quality and reliability of Power Supply.
- Extract information pertinent to sizing of electric and hybrid electric drive train, Embedded systems for automotive applications, advanced vehicle communication technologies and energy storage technologies for the enhancement of scientific/technological knowledge in the fields of Electric Vehicle Engineering.
- Demostrate the knowledge on Smartgrid/Electric Vehicle projects after factors by understanding engineering, management principles and apply the same to manage projects efficiently in multidisciplinary environments as a member and leader in a team.
II. How to Pursue Research Path after Completing This Programme
Research areas related to this programme are
- transmission corridors to support renewable energy resources, integration of storage devices with renewable, IoT, visualization using PMU data, synchrophasor application framework, on-line security assessment, and model and data interoperability in smart grid.
- Designing, development and modelling of electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles, E-Mobility policies business and marketing in India and abroad
III. Advantages in Terms of Placements
- As automobile industries shifts to hybrid and electric vehicle categories in upcoming years , due to changing policies and trends , a huge intake in these industries( TATA motors, Mahindra) are expected.
- Candidates can also pursue careers in electrical vehicle engineering design and development, engineering research (PhD), engineering consultancy and engineering management.
- Placement options – Smartgrid Industries, Renewable Energy based companies, Communication
IV. Possible International Collaborations (International Universities to Pursue Dual Degree/Higher Education)
- Wayne State University –Master Of Science In Electric Vehicle Engineering
- UNIVERSITY INSTITUTE FOR AUTOMOBILE RESEARCH (INSIA) – UNIVERSIDAD POLITÉCNICA DE MADRID- Master’s In Hybrid And Electric Vehicle Engineering
- Michigan Technological University -Master Of Science In Electrical Engineering Degree With An Emphasis In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Engineering
- Univesitat Politecnica de Valencia, Spain.
- University of Birmingham.
- Newcastle university,UK
- Durham University.
Subjects includes areas from power System, Sustainable and Renewable Energy, Computational and Communication Technology, Power electronics and Control, Smart Technology and Embedded Systems.