The Department of Social Work offering Master of Social Work (MSW) program was started in two campuses in the academic year 2007-2008. The Department of Social Work is actively involved in providing evidence-based, quality oriented social work education through most advanced and emerging domains of practice, research and field interventions.It has also engaged itself in strengthening social work practice, research and field projects. The core values of love, honesty, and sacrifice for the welfare of all living beings in this earth permeate all aspects of learning, knowledge building and interventions.
The curriculum is also crafted in such a way that it provides a meaningful account of certain core processes that influence the day to day functioning of the larger society such as social justice, human rights, development and empowerment of the vulnerable/marginalized sections of the society.
The MSW courses offered at Amrita , enable students to appreciate the dynamics, variations and interfaces that pervade the Indian Sub-Continent through the culturally significant patterns of social stratification and exclusion such as caste, Class, gender, ethnicity and religion.
Amrita’s Master of Social Work (MSW) program is holistic and unique. It is both academic and experiential. It comprises of classroom and fieldwork components spread across four semesters. It encourages students to increase self awareness and their awareness and sensitivity towards others.
It integrates advanced concepts and developments in the field of Social Work with a deeper understanding of the traditional Indian value system. Students participate in the service activities initiated by the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham’s parent organization – Mata Amritanandamayi Math.
The program prepares students to independently undertake challenging assignments with oppressed, at-risk, vulnerable and general populations and helps them evolve as human beings with the commitment and service-orientation necessary to reach out to the most under-privileged sections of society.
The program is most suitable for those who would like to build a career in social work and gives them an opportunity to derive great joy by extending a helping hand to those in need, including the under-privileged populations in the society.
The program is strongly grounded with foundation courses catering to major social science disciplines, basic courses on perspectives and methods and elective courses in Physical and Mental Health, Community Development, Disaster Management, and Child Protection and Child Rights. The field learning component comprises of concurrent and block field work, rural practicum, and field study engagements.
The vision of the Department of Social Work is LOVING to SERVE and SERVING to LOVE.
To prepare the students for specialized, evidence and rights-based practice among the oppressed, at risk, vulnerable and general
populations. The MSW program provides rigorous intellectual base, opportunities for skill development and a value-based educational experience.
The program's objectives are:
- To develop a new genre of professional social workers, driven by timeless human values, equipped with the best knowledge and skills and committed to serve all types of people and nature with love, trust, tolerance and humility.
- To enable students develop an integrative, holistic approach to social work practice that permits versatility in the choice and application of intervention methods.
- To give students an opportunity to develop self-awareness and the ability to listen to others with deep understanding and sensitivity.
- To provide students a good understanding of the economic, social, cultural, legal, ethical, political and spiritual framework within which individuals, families, and communities operate.
- To train students to apply professional values, ethics and the conscious use of self to professional social work practice.
- To train students in research, to explore the frontiers of evidence-based social work practice and to extend it further in the service of humanity.
Social Work as a Profession
The MSW degree gives professional skills to those interested in serving the community as a vocation. The program is most suitable for those who would like to build a career in Social Work and gives them an opportunity to derive great joy by extending a helping hand to those in need, including the under-privileged populations in the society.
Social work graduates are widely recruited by public and private human service agencies to work with individuals, families, groups and communities to resolve social and emotional problems. Opportunities abound for Social Work professionals in Non-Government Organizations (NGO) and in the health care sector.
MSW graduates are employed in diverse fields, including Human Resource Management, Community Development, Child Welfare, Juvenile and Criminal Justice Administration, Correctional Institutions, Mental Health Centers, Addiction Treatment, Family and Guidance Counseling, Social Policy Advocacy, and Public Welfare.
- Advanced Education
- Committed & Qualified Faculties
- Collaboration with International Universities
- Campus Placement Opportunities
- Value Based Education
- Multi Campus E-Learning Facility
- Career Development Training
The Amrita MSW program is unique in other ways also:
- There are experienced and committed faculty to facilitate higher learning. Amrita also receives visiting faculty from premier institutions.
- Great emphasis is placed on value-based education and there are classes on Yoga, Meditation and Indian Culture.
- Amrita provides excellent infrastructure facilities include classrooms equipped with audio visual capabilities, high-end computing labs with internet, sports and recreation, swimming pool, hostels, etc.
- Students can specialize in (i) Physical and Mental Health (ii) Community Development (iii) Child Protection and Child Rights (CPCR) (iv) Disaster Management.
- In South India, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham is the first to offer CPCR and Disaster Management as Social Work specializations.
- Emphasis is placed on scientific, research-based learning with thrust on vulnerability reduction, rights-based approach and social policy analysis. Students are exposed to relevant and advanced managerial and project management skills.
- The theoretical coursework is advanced and includes a field exposure component.
- Field placements are provided with INGOs, National level NGOs, Government Organizations, Industries and development projects undertaken by the Math.
- There is an automated Library Information System connected to the LAN in the Central Library for faster access to books. Several online journals are also available.
- A dedicated Training and Placement Cell offers training in soft skills and communicative English. The cell also helps place students in NGOs, Hospitals and Corporate Foundations.
- Our past recruiters include UAE Exchange-Abu Dhabi, Larsen & Toubro Limited, Friends of Tribals Society and Hand in Hand.
The two-year course comprising four semesters enables students to imbibe the fundamental principles of social work and practice them in real-life situations. Amrita's MSW program incorporates a methodology through which students can evolve to a new level and help transform the society in which they live.