K. A. Unnikrishna Menon currently serves as Professor at Amrita Center for Wireless Networks and Applications (AmritaWNA). His areas of interest include Electro- Acoustic Sensor Design, Development and Evaluation, SONAR Antenna Design & Field Implementation, Sensor for Under Water Communication, Research and Development in Underwater Transducer Design, Project Management, Techno Mechanical activities.
Qualification: PG in Physics with Electronics as special subject.
Occupation / Post Held: Retd. Scientist-F / Jt.Director (Division-Head "Transducer design and Measurements”, Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO, Ministry of Defence)
Present Work: Professor, Amrita Center for Wireless Network and Applications, Amrita Viswa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri, Clappana P.O., Kollam-690525, Kerala.
Experience: Teaching: Seven years at graduate level.
Research: Thirty years experience in the field of development of Underwater Electro- acoustic Transducers for various Sonar Systems of the Indian Navy for induction to ships, submarines and airborne operations. Development of sensors for Tsunami Warning system and Life Recovery System during earthquake.
Details of R&D Work :
- Successfully completed the following Projects:
- Development of underwater transducers for Hull-mounted arrays for ship- sonar
- Underwater communication system for ships and submarines.
- Integrated sonar systems for submarines (active and passive)
- Airborne Dipping Sonar and Ranger buoys
- Technical documentation for projects in the following areas: Transfer of Technology, Factory Acceptance Tests & Procedures and Qualification Approval Plan.
- Characterization of piezo-ceramic materials, ferrite cores and underwater cables.
- Techno-managerial area:
- Division Head - ‘Projectors’: Active transducer development for various Naval Projects.
- Division Head - ‘Transducer Measurements’: Measurement support to all projects, technology development and Fleet support.
- Interaction with production agencies: Transfer of technology for bulk production of subsystems for various projects and training of technical personnel.
- Chairman of various Committee/ Boards: a) Tender Procurement Committee b) Assessment Board c) Condemnation Board
- Member Review Committee:
- Authored and co-authored several technical reports and papers. Guided MTech students in various projects as a part of the completion of their Projects, review of technical papers, symposia proceedings, organizing / conducting seminars , symposia and lectures.
- Project Manager: Successfully completed various prestigious Naval projects as Project Manager / Project Director. Recognition of the projects by induction to service of the Indian Navy and by awarding the prestigious DRDO ‘AGNI’ award.
- DRDO Award for project PANCHENDRIYA from Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri (SA TO RM) – Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam. – “Induction of first indigenous state- of- the art sonar to the service”.
- DRDO ‘AGNI’ Award for excellence in self reliance from SA to RM - Dr. M .Natarajan – “Design and development of sonar system for fitment on submarines”.
- NPOL Golden Jubilee Award for :
- Development of state- of- the- art transducer for a Sonar System.
- Demonstrating Underwater Telephone on Naval Platform
- NPOL Award for Field service
Work Area/Technical Expertise:
- Transduction mechanism and concepts
- Characterization of piezo-electric materials and passive materials for fabrication of electro-acoustic transducers and their encapsulation.
- Design and fabrication of electro-acoustic transducers for sonic and ultrasonic frequencies capable of working under water.
- Equivalent circuit analysis and transduction analogies of mechanical /electrical / acoustic parameters.
- Impedance matching requirements of ‘electro-mechanical devices’ for system . interface.
- Vibration modes of different configuration of active materials.
- Design and development of pressure and acceleration compensated passive and active transducers for detection of underwater target, obstacle avoidance ,communication etc.
- Design of low frequency, high power and compact transducer like unimorphs/bimorph, sandwich- tonpilz , symbal and flextensional transducers.
- Transducer array design for beam control.
- Performance evaluation of developed transducers under controlled environmental conditions and actual field trials.
- Parameter measurement using automated measurement system:
- Receiving sensitivity & projector response
- Electrical impedance, phase, power handling, source level
- Receiving / transmitting directivity
- Acceleration sensitivity and shock response
- In-se-to evaluation of transducers under high pressure and low temperature.
- Development of transducers using Piezo-ceramics, Piezo-polymers and Piezo-composites.
- Project co-ordination, management and direction
- Project documentation, technical publications and training for technology transfer