October 24, 2011
School of Engineering, Amritapuri
 

As in years past, this year also Amrita is one of the two centers in India hosting the ACM-ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) in Asia.
 

Below is the Director’s report on the preliminary online round that was conducted in October for all Indian participants.
 

ACM ICPC Asia-Amritapuri Online Round
 


 

The online contest went very well. It was the largest contest conducted so far, with an increase in enrolment by 40% from last year. It was open to teams of undergraduate and postgraduate university students. Participation was free for all registered contestants.
 

The goal was to select a set of teams for competing in the on-site contest scheduled for December 12, 2011 at our campuses in Amritapuri, Kerala and Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
 

ACM ICPC Asia-Amritapuri Online Round
 

Only Indian teams were eligible for the online contest; international teams are directly invited to participate on-site.
 

There were five problems to be solved in four hours. The problem set was well-conceived. Our problem-setting and judging panel included programming experts from India, North America and Europe, some of whom were ICPC World Finalists in past years.
 

The easiest problem was solved by 80% of the teams. Most of the remaining 20% probably did not take the time to familiarize themselves with our judging system Mooshak and its compiler before the contest. Mooshak has been well supported by University Porto in Portugal. They have added several of our asked-for features.
 

ACM ICPC Asia-Amritapuri Online Round
 

All teams that solved at least one problem, and were the first from their universities, were selected for the on-site round. Many strong teams participated from some colleges.
 

Six interconnected IBM blade servers were used to handle the load; these servers performed well.
 

Contestants used their own computers located all over India and participated through a web-based interface.
 

I would like to thank the Amrita University ICTS and other staff members as well as the volunteering students for the long hours they put in and the dedication they showed for tasks such as registration and computer support.
 

ACM ICPC Asia-Amritapuri Online Round
 

Our sponsors IBM, Infosys, Directi and IP Infusion did more than just supply funds. They conducted joint events and publicized the contest and provided the powerful blade servers.
 

Management of ICPC Worldwide provided regular support.
 

We are proud to be a part of the ICPC family. This event was a partnership between all of us.
 

I invite you to take a look at some of our interesting participation statistics from this year and the previous year.
 

- Dr. Vallath Nandakumar, Regional Contest Director, Amrita University
 
 

Participation Statistics Summarized

2010

2011

No. of initial registrations

1100

1065

No. of teams with complete and accepted registrations

568

709

No. of institutions  with complete accepted registrations

130

142

No. of teams of 3-4 members who actually took part

447

674

No. of participant institutions

106

129

No. of teams that solved at least 1/5 problems

300, 67%  of total

538, 80% of total

No. of teams that solved at least 2/5 problems

148, 33%

359, 53%

No. of teams that solved at least 3/5 problems

73, 16%

235, 35%

No. of teams that solved at least 4/5 problems

17, 4%

45, 7%

No. of teams that solved all five problems

8, 2%

8, 1%

No. of teams who will be finally selected for the on-site contest from India

125

140

No. of colleges who will be finally selected from Asia

90

125 estimated

 

 

 

Share this Story: 
207
PROGRAMS
OFFERED
5
AMRITA
CAMPUSES
15
CONSTITUENT
SCHOOLS
A
GRADE BY
NAAC, MHRD
9th
RANK(INDIA):
NIRF 2017
150+
INTERNATIONAL
PARTNERS