Activities at Department of Mathematics, Bengaluru Campus
International Workshop organized by the Department
- A National Workshop on “Analytical and Numerical solutions of Non-linear Differential Equations” was conducted by the Department on 18th and 19th March 2011 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru.
On this occasion, two invited lectures were organized. One by Dr. P. S. Datti, Professor, TIFR and another by Dr. Pradeep G Siddeshwar, Professor, Department of Mathematics, Bangalore University . Prof. P. S. Datti spoke on backlund transformation and point transformation. Dr. P. G. Siddeshwar gave an interesting talk on ‘Computer assisted analytical and Numerical solutions of non-linear Differential Equations’.
A hands on MATLAB session was also conducted for the participants of the workshop in which they were introduced to the basics of MATLAB. Two worksheets were prepared by faculty members of the Department, which made the participants well acquainted with some of the applications of MATLAB.
WORKSHOPS / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES ORGANIZED
National Workshop on Graph Theory and its Applications
The Department of Mathematics organized a two-day workshop on Graph Theory and its Applications from August 6 - 7, 2015. About 30 delegates from various engineering colleges of India and around 30 members including faculty members, research scholars and M.Tech. students from Amrita attended the workshop.
The workshop began with an inaugural function on 6th August 2015 at 10.30 AM at Krishna Hall, ASE, Bengaluru. The function was graced by Dr. S. G. Rakesh, Associate Dean and Head, Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru Campus, who wished the workshop a grand success. The inaugural session was followed by invited lectures. Eminent speakers like Dr. S. A. Choudum from Christ University, Dr. A. Vijaya Kumar from CUSAT, Dr. B. Sooryanarayana from DR.AIT, Dr. J. Paulraj Joseph from MS university and Dr. S. Somasundaram from ASE Coimbatore delivered talks on current research topics in graph theory spread over several sessions of the workshop on both days.
A introductory session on the usage of Mathematical software, ‘MATHEMATICA’ in solving research problems on graph theory was also presented by Mr. Girish from Wolfram.
WORKSHOPS / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES ATTENDED
Paper presented in IDAD-2016 organised at Veltech University in the month of February 2016.
Dr. B. Sooryanarayana and Ms. K.N.Meera presented paper "Open Neighborhood Chromatic number" in the National Conference on Graph Coloring and its application from 27th – 28th July 2013.
Dr. B. Sooryanarayana and Ms. K.N.Meera presented paper "2-Metric dimension in Cartesian Products of Graphs" in the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Fluid Mechanics and graph theory”, Christ University, Bangalore from 16th-18th Aug 2012.
Faculty Development Programs (FDP)Conducted by the Department
- Dr.Deepa Gupta, Assistant Profesoor, Department of Mathematics along with Dr.B.Veeresh Kumar, Department of Mechanical Engineering conducted a faculty development programme on Soft computing, from December 2012 to March 2013.
- FDP by Dr. B. Venkatesh, Associate Professor on Advanced Numerical Analysis from August 2012 to January 2013.
- FDP by Dr. K. V. Nagaraja, Professor on Engineering modeling and PDE from January 2012 to July 2012.
- Dr. Neetu Srivastava, Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics along with Dr. Sukanya Saha, Department of English conducted a faculty development programme on Research Methodologies, from January 2012 to May 2012.
- FDP by Dr. P. A. Lakshmi Narayana, Assistant Professor on Linear Algebra and its Applications from January 2011 to June 2011.
- FDP by Dr. K. V. Nagaraja, Professor on Advanced Numerical Analysis from July 2010 to January 2011.
Other than the above FDPs, the department had organized FDPs by external experts, the details of which are as follows:
- FDP by Dr. Pradeep G. Siddheshwar , Professor, Bengaluru University on Partial differential equations from September 2009 to March 2010.
- FDP by Dr. S. Bhargava , Professor Emiritus, Mysore University on Optimization techniques from January 2009 to May 2009.
- FDP by Dr. S. Bhargava , Professor Emiritus, Mysore University on Linear Algebra from January 2007 to May 2007.
Invited Talk/ Guest Lecture
- Dr. K. V. Nagaraja , Attended National Workshop on Parabolic Differential Equations and Applications to Image Processing during 26th -29th October 2015, at Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparti.
- Dr. K. V. Nagaraja has delivered an invited talk titled on “Introduction to Finite Element Method” on 1st August 2014 in a “One-Week Faculty Development Programmee” Organized by the Department of Mathematics, Malnad College of Engineering, Hassan during 28th July – 2nd August 2014. The workshop was sponsored by TEQIP-II (Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme-II).
- Dr. K. V. Nagaraja has delivered an invited talk titled on “Finite element solution of Darcy-Brinkman and Darcy-Forchheimer-Brinkman equation for some flow channels using triangular elements” on 27th June 2014 in a “Two-Week International Workshop on Computational Fluid Dynamics” Organized by the Department of Mathematics, BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore during 23rd June – 5th July 2014. The workshop was sponsored by TEQIP-II (Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme-II).
- “Support Vector Machine- kernels and Kernel Trick”, TEQIP-II sponsored Faculty Development Programme on “Knowledge Mining using Machine Leaning and its Applications” during 23rd January 2014 to 25th January 2014 at Department of ISE, MSRIT, Bangalore. India.
- “Introduction to Machine Learning & Its Applications”, A Three days workshop on Knowledge Management and Data Analytics for real World Applications (KMDA-13)", during 22nd July to 24th July, 2013 at R V College of Engineering, Bangalore, India.
- “Domain Biased Bilingual Parallel Data Extraction and an Unsupervised Hybrid Approach to Align Sentences and Words in Parallel Corpora”, Workshop on " Natural Language Processing and Speech Recognition" on 15th – 17th April 2013 at RV College, Bangalore India.
- Dr. K. V. Nagaraja has delivered an invited talk titled on “Finite Element Method and its Applications”, Two day workshop on “Current Topics in Mathematics”, for Post Graduate Students on 1st March, 2013 at Christ University.
- “Robotic Data Mining”, 9th International conference on Emerging trends in physics -2013, on 21st -22nd February 2013, Place: St. Joseph's College of Arts and Science(Autonomous), Cuddalore, TN, India.
- “Introduction to Probability Theory and Sampling”, 26th April, 2012 at PSE School of Engineering, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
- “Introduction to MATLAB”, 9th August, 2012 at Jain University Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
- “Introduction to Vector Calculus”, 4th December, 2012 at PSEIT, South Campus, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
- “The Role of Natural Language Processing in Electronic Health Domain/Records”, National Seminar on Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery of Medical Data, 28th – 29thJuly 2011, organized by Amrita School of Engineering, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Bangalore Karnataka, India.