Dr. Ganesh Sundaram joined Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham in 2006. He has a wide variety of interests, education and experience, and is a strong proponent (and example) of interdisciplinary studies. Dr. Sundaram received his B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Madras and continued as a Junior Research Fellow and graduate student at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
He was selected for the prestigious Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Junior Research Fellowship in 1993, but chose instead to go to the University of Texas at Austin, USA. From 1993 to 2000, he worked as a teaching and research assistant at University of Texas where he received his Ph.D. in Physics in 2000. His dissertation focused on Theoretical Solid State and is titled, “Wave packet dynamics in slowly perturbed crystals: Gradient energy and Berry-phase corrections.”
While in the USA, he worked as a software engineer for Lockheed Martin Global Communications, after which he conducted independent research on Computer Simulation, Graphics and Animation using Java. Dr. Sundaram has publications in refereed journals and has used Java to develop a Carrom game that has been published on the web.
Dr. Ganesh Sundaram currently serves as Assistant Professor (Sl.Gr) in the Department of Physics, School of Arts & Sciences, Amritapuri. While at Amrita, he continues to promote interdisciplinary studies and is currently advising Electrical Engineering students on their projects.
Wave-packet Dynamics, Berry phase and topological effects in Condensed Matter, Anomalous Hall Effects, Numerical Computations, and Simulations of Complex Systems – condensed matter systems, synchronization of oscillators, (collaborations on) opto-mechatronics, multibody systems, soft landing dynamics, integrated renewable energy systems.
- 2009 – Present: Assistant Professor, Dept of Physics., Amrita Viswa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri
- 2006 – 2009: Assistant Professor, Dept of Mechanical Engineering, Amrita Viswa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri
- 2002-2005: Simulation of Complex Systems, Accelerated Computer Graphics and (Carrom-board) Game Engine Software Development, Independent Venture
- 2001 (Oct-Dec): Lockheed Martin Global Telecommunications, Software Engineer
- Research Associateships/Visiting Positions
- 2012-2015, Research Associate, IMSc, Chennai, Taramani.
- PhD (2000), University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, USA
- B.Tech. (Mechanical) (1992), IIT Madras, Chennai
- PG courses taught:
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics II
- Statistical Mechanics
- Quantum Mechanics I
- Quantum Mechanics II
- Mathematical Physics I
- Mathematical Physics II
- (MSc) Physics Labs A & B
- UG courses taught:
- Introduction to Mechanics
- Intermediate Mechanics I
- Intermediate Mechanics II
- Thermal and Materials Physics
- Intermediate Electrodynamics
- Introductory Solid-State Physics
- Courses taught for Mechanical Engineering Department:
- Engineering Thermodynamics (for EEE)
- Advanced Thermodynamics
- Control Systems
- Certain Investigations on Soft Lander for Lunar Exploration, Udupa, G., Sundaram, G., et. al, Procedia Computer Science, 2018, 133, pp. 393–400
- Inverse kinematics of a dual linear actuator pitch/roll heliostat, Freeman, J., Shankar, B., Sundaram, G. AIP Conference Proceedings, 2017, 1850, 030018
- Electron dynamics in slowly modulated crystals: Theorems of power and adiabatic drifting, Niu, Q., Sundaram, G. Physica E: Low-Dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, 2001, 9(3), pp. 327–332
- Wave-packet dynamics in slowly perturbed crystals: gradient corrections and berry-phase effects, Sundaram, G., Niu, Q., Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 1999, 59(23), pp. 14915–14925
- Sixty-first Science Academies' Refresher Course in EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICS (16 June – 1 July 2014) (Two-weeks)
Sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, The National Academy of Sciences, India, Allahabad
Director of the workshop: Prof. R. Srinivasan, former professor of physics, IIT Madras, former director of UGC-DAE CSR, Indore, and a Fellow of Academy of Sciences.
- NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON NANOSCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (Nano2007)
(May 14 -18, 2007)
Sponsored by AICTE and Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kollam 690 525
Invited Talks/Talks/Conference Presentations
- January 7, 2020: Introduction to Mathematica
AICTE sponsored Faculty Development Programme (FDP) on
Computer Algebra Systems in Applied mathematics,
Vidya Academy of Science & Technology, Thrissur, Kerala during 30 Dec 2019 - 11 Jan 2020.
- Conference presentation on “Certain Investigations on Soft Lander for Lunar Exploration”, 1st International Conference on Robotics and Smart Manufacturing, RoSMa 2018, IIIDM, Kancheepuram, 19 – 21 July 2018.
- On the introduction to Berry phase effects in physics, 61st Refresher Course in Experimental Physics (16 June – 1 July 2014), Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri
- On the Physics of Nanosciences, Nano2007 workshop (May 14-18, 2007)
- Study and Simulation of Landing dynamics of a Lunar Soft Lander (Co-PI), Funded by ISRO (2013)
- Opto-mechatronics: Circularity/Cylindricity measurement using optical scanning and image processing (Consulting Department of Mechanical Engineering, in collaboration with Computer Science)
- Scaled Model building & drop-down tests of Soft-Landing Lunar Module, and ADAMS simulation (leading to an M.Tech. thesis (2018), a B.Tech. thesis (2017), and a conference presentation and paper(2018)).
- Integrated Micro renewable energy charger for NiMh batteries (for GE competition, 2009; students entered the final round, leading to B.Tech. thesis (2010) in which students fabricated and tested the charging module from a low power source).