M. Tech. in Geoinformatics and Earth Observation is a program offered at School of Engineering, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri campus. Evolution of Smart City and Smart Community based research have increased the demand for spatial assessment and earth system observations. These needs are further enhanced due to climate change impacts. Domain knowledge about the monitoring phenomenon plays a key role in designing systems that minimize the impact of natural hazard and reducing disaster risk.
To achieve this we developed a multidisciplinary curriculum that introduces to a wide spectrum of geospatial data analysis for multi-hazard risk assessment and disaster risk reduction. This program aims to provide the students with an opportunity to acquire detailed systematic knowledge and critical understanding of spatial environment related processes. The program also introduces state of the art technologies for data collection and analysis, as well as the ability to independently develop innovative solutions to complex problems in the area of the environment. The students will learn to become a valuable part in the national and global efforts of climate change mitigation and adaptation, disaster risk reduction, Smart City planning etc.
Scope of the Program
The M. Tech. program in Geoinformatics and Earth Observation involves interdisciplinary studies in scientific, technical and social science subjects and would prepare students for employment in the public and private sectors, both nationally and internationally. This course introduces the students to emerging technologies for pursuing cutting edge research in Earth Science, Geoinformatics and Climate change. The career opportunities are in the fields of GIS and Remote Sensing, big data analytics and machine learning, climate change adaptation and mitigation, Smart City planning, urban and rural planning, disaster management, etc.
- principles and techniques pertaining to GIS,
- the principles of earth observation technologies, particularly as regards their use in terrestrial environments,
- practical knowledge of wireless networking for earth observation disaster warning
- Theoretical knowledge of remote sensing techniques
- Earth observing techniques both remote sensing and in situ sensor systems.
- The principles of weather and climate
- Mathematical and physical modelling of weather systems, natural hazards.
- The significance of the spatial and temporal scale when studying different processes and relationships
- Live in lab experience of climate change mitigation, disaster risk reduction and communality shared learning
- working in a scientific context
Additionally, students shall acquire the ability to:
- Independently identify and take responsibility for their need for further education and for following the development of knowledge within the field
- Apply the geographic methodology for the sustainable care and development of aquatic and terrestrial environments
- Assimilate summarised and synthesized information from different sources
- Define the problem, design the methodologies, and apply the skills to study the problem and communicate the results effectively in a earth science context.
Duration : Two years
- B.E/B.Tech (CSE, IT, ECE,EEE,Civil), MCA, M.Sc Information Technology, M.Sc Computer Science.
Thrust Areas in Research
- Mobile Communication and Networks
- Internet of Things
- Machine Learning
- Wireless Communications