Library Resources at Bengaluru Campus
The Library of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham - Bangalore Campus established in the year 2002, serves as knowledge hub containing resources not only in the form of print but also in e-resources.
In any academic institution Library plays an important role in the dissemination of knowledge. In fact, the ambience of the library reflects the quality of the education imparted by the University. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham - Bangalore Campus has recognized the importance of the academic vibrations required in the library and has been growing in this direction, right from its very inception.
The current location of the Central Library is well planned and is very spacious with a total area of 1213 Sq.Mt. with 200 seating capacity and Reading Hall with a total area of 325 Sq.Mt. with 150 seating capacity. The well stacked racks are user friendly. The huge reading halls of Reference & Periodical sections are very inviting. A special zone has been carved out for the digital library. The well furnished and illuminated ambience is very serene and encourages the students to pursue their academic and research activities.
The Library is fully automated with LIBSOFT, an integrated Library Management Software with advanced search options. The OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) & WEBOPAC system provides easy access to the database of books, journals and e-resources. OPAC & WEBOPAC can be accessed on Intranet and Internet to search all the bibliographic records available in the Central Library database through a web-based search interface. With this, the status and location of a document can easily be identified online from any networked computer in the campus.
|Library Website & Web OPAC :|
|http://188.8.131.52/opac (Public Access)||http://192.168.2.33/opac (Campus Access)|
The library aims to put the motto “Books are for use” into practice. The Library houses Text books, Reference Books, Print Journals, Technical Magazines, General Magazines, e-resources & Digital collections, CDs & DVDs, Project Reports, Question Papers, Placement Materials, Course Materials, Lecturer Notes, Working Papers, Bound Volumes of Journals, Dailies & Faculty publications etc., etc., added to this, the library has a wide collection of general books which helps to increase the knowledge of our students in different fields.
|1.||Engineering Books||32,500 Volumes with 12,600 Titles|
|2.||Management Books||6003 Volumes with 4500 Titles|
|3.||Print Journals - Engineering||National :85
|4.||Print Journals - Management||National :28
|7.||Engineering E-resources / Databases:
http://192.168.2.33/opac (Campus Access)
|8||Management E-resources / Databases:
http://192.168.2.33/opac (Campus Access)
|Vidya Digital Library|
|10||CD’s & DVD’s
|13||Bound Volumes of Journals||363|
|15||Book Bank||SC/ST Book bank scheme|
|16||Question Papers||Previous year question papers|
|17||Faculty Publications||105 + Articles|
|18||Institute Publications||50+ Materials|
|19||DELNET- New Delhi membership
|Inter Library Loan service (Books & Journal articles)|
|Monday To Friday||8.00am to 10.00pm||14 Hours|
|Saturday||8.00am to 6.00pm||10 Hours|
|Sunday||9.00am to 4.00pm||7 Hours|
|Book Issue / Return Timings|
|Monday to Friday||8.00am to 6.00pm||10 Hours|
|Saturday||8.00am to 5.00pm||9 Hours|
|Sunday||Only Reference service|
|Reading Hall with Newspapers|
|Monday to Saturday||8.00am to 12.00 Midnight||16 Hours|
|Sunday||9.00 to 12.00 Midnight||15 Hours|
MEMBERSHIP AND LOAN SYSTEM
All Students of the school are admitted as members of the library. Library membership forms are issued at the library. For using library facility, students are requested to sign the login register, which is kept in the library entrance. Every member shall be required to deposit his/her personal belongings at the counter kept at the library premises. The identity card must be produced at entrance of the library. Without college identity card, no student is allowed into the library.
|CATEGORY||NO. OF BOOKS||PERIOD|
|B. Tech I Year||3||15 days.|
|B. Tech. II/III/IV Year||5||15 days + one renewal|
|M. Tech. I/II Year||6||15 days + one renewal|
|MBA I/II Year||6||15 days + one renewal|
|Executive MBA||6||30 days + one renewal|
|Research Scholars||6||30 days + one renewal|
|Staff members||2||30 days + one renewal|
MAJOR SERVICES & FACILITIES
- 14 hours of uninterrupted library service from 8.00 am to 10.00 pm
- Open Access System : The Library books have been computerized and users can search the documents through OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) by Titlewise, Authorwise, Subjectwise etc., We are following OPEN ACCESS SYSTEM and the students can select the required books directly from the shelf for reference & borrowing purpose.
- Book Lending Service
- Reference Service / Referral Service : Library has a separate Reference section. Good collections of books for reference purposes are maintained. Reference books, Journals, Magazines, Project reports, Question papers, Placement materials, Course materials, Lecture notes and Faculty publications are considered as reference materials.
- Overnight Issue of Reference Books : Reference books can be borrowed for over-night use, before closing hours of the library
- Web OPAC / Library Website
- Online Access to E - Resources
- VIDYA Digital Library service
- Access and Issue of CD's& DVD's : Faculty and students are encouraged to borrow CDs & DVDs for issue. CDs & DVDs list is available in circulation section for reference.
- New Arrivals Display / Online New Arrivals Service : New books are displayed in a 'New Arrivals Rack'. For the first week, these books will not be issued and are kept only for reference. These books will be issued based on reservations made.
- Inter Library Loan Service through DELNET - New Delhi : Central Library is a member of the Developing Library Network, New Delhi (DELNET-New Delhi). There are more than 4931 Institutions / Libraries covered under this network, which enables access to Inter Library Loan services from other libraries all over the India. Through DELNET we are getting Inter Library Loan services from other libraries all over India. DELNET information resources are bibliographic in nature and it provides the delivery of individual books and journal-articles, as and when required by the member-libraries. Book, photocopies of articles can be borrowed / supplied from any of these member libraries.
- Reprographic Printouts and Colour Print Facility : Dedicated systems for reading, downloading and printing of the desired material accessed through this medium are made available in the library for the use of our students and faculty. Access to this facility is available for students and faculty generally between 8am to 8pm. In addition, this facility can also be accessed by faculty and students, through several other systems maintained for the purpose, across the campus.
- Book Exhibitions / Book Shop Visits : Every semester we are conducting a Book exhibition / Bookshop visit for the benefit of our faculty and students.
- Off campus Service through E - Mail : We have individual, group e-mail service, whenever we find new information useful to the particular community, details are sent through e-mail.
- Online Book Reservation Facility : Online Book reservation facility is available for users.
- SC/ST Book Bank Scheme
- Reading Hall : Reading Hall with newspaper facility from 8.00am to 12midnight also provided to users. Library also receives 28 newspapers of major Indian Languages.
- Library Advisory Committee : Library Advisory Committee is functioning to look into all aspects of continual improvement of the library activities, so that the library and its facilities achieve a fair degree of acceptability among the users. This Committee, co-coordinated by a senior professor of the institute, as the chairman, has faculty-representatives and student-nominees as members and the Librarian is the ex-officio convener of the committee.
- Grievances Box : A Grievances box is kept at the entrance of the library for eliciting not only complaints but constructive suggestions for improvement of library services. Valid feedback obtained through this source is promptly followed for implementation and improvements of service at the earliest.
RULES & REGULATIONS
LOSS/DAMAGE OF BOOKS
Members are responsible for the damage/loss of books issued to them. Marking and underlining the text, tearing away pages, soiling books by water, dust, oil etc., are treated as damage. Loss of library book must be brought to the attention of the librarian immediately on occurrence and the replacement cost of the material should be paid immediately. The member should compensate for the damaged/lost book by replacing it with a new copy. If notification is made after the book is overdue, the borrower will also be responsible for the overdue charge. If a book belonging to a set is lost, the borrower will be charged for replacement of the entire set. In case a student loses the book, he/she is be expected to replace the book along with a processing fee of Rs. 50/-. If he/she is unable to replace the lost book with a new one, he/she has to pay two times the cost of the book or the cost of acquiring a new one, whichever is higher.
LOSS OF LIBRARY CARD
Loss of a Library card should be reported to the Librarian immediately. A duplicate card will be issued on payment of Rs.50/- per ticket.
CONDITION OF LOAN
- Library cards are not transferable.
- The borrower is fully responsible for the books borrowed on his/her card.
- In case there is demand from more than one student for the same book, they will be issued based on the reservation made (first come first served basis).
Materials borrowed from the library are to be returned on or before the due date (15 days). On the expiry of due date, Rs.2/- per day will be charged for books. On the expiry of due date, two reminders will be sent. Non-receipt of reminders is no reason for returning books late. Absence is not accepted as excuse for non payment of overdue charge. If the due date falls on college holiday, the book may be returned on the next working day, without overdue charge. If students fail to return the books within the above stipulated period, such students library membership will be canceled for certain period.
In exceptional cases or during need, the librarian may recall the book before it’s due date.
While books can be freely taken out of the shelf by the students, they are requested not to keep them back on the shelf. Students are requested to leave the books on the reading tables after use. If any book is found out of place, it may be shown to the Librarian / Library staff.
BOOK ISSUE SYSTEM
To have the library material issued out, a member should sign the Book issue Card and hand it over to the circulation counter staff along with the Borrower’s card for scanning purpose.
CARE OF LIBRARY MATERIALS
Library books, Journals and other reading/reference materials are expensive and often rare to replace. They are for the benefit of not only the present but also the future members of the library. Therefore, they should be used with care and consideration. No one should write upon, damage, turn down the leaves of, or mark upon any library material. Before leaving the library, the member should satisfy himself/herself as to whether the library material lent to him/her is in sound condition. If not, he/she should immediately bring the matter to the knowledge of the circulation section staff. Otherwise he/she is liable to be held responsible for the replacement of the material or pay such compensation as fixed by the librarian.
DAMAGING OF BOOKS NOT ALLOWED
Marking, writing and tearing the pages of the books are not allowed. Students indulging in such damaging activities will have to face disciplinary action.
Library books/materials are the property of the library; they should be returned at the time of obtaining clearance certificate. Also, dues if any should be cleared.
- Library website / Web OPAC
- Orientation / Demo program for using library resources
- Overnight issue of Reference books
- Tracing register for misplaced books
- Display of faculty publications
- Library Advisory Committee
- Off-campus service through e-mail: We have individual, group e-mail service, whenever we find new information useful to the particular community, details are sent through e-mail
- Book exhibitions / Book shop visits
- Library apprentice training program
- Internship program
Use of mobile phone within the library premises (including outside corridors) is banned.
- Maintain silence, keeping in mind that the library is a place for individual study and research.
- No refreshments or foodstuff of any kind shall be either be carried or consumed anywhere inside the library.
- You are requested to leave the book on the reading table after use.
- Please switch off unwanted lights, fans & help in saving electricity
- Suggestions for improving the library services are most welcome.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham-University
Kasavanahalli, Off- Sarjapura Road
Bangalore – 560 035.
Ph: 080- 25183700 Ext: 710
e-contact :email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Library website :http://184.108.40.206/opac