Reading: Different styles of communication – Reading Comprehension - critical thinking and analysis – Note-making – Any two pieces from the text
Writing: Prewriting techniques - Kinds of paragraphs - basics of continuous writing.
Grammar & Usage: Parts of Speech, Tenses, Concord, Phrasal Verbs, Modal Auxiliaries, Modifiers (Workbook) - Any two pieces from the text.
Practical sessions (Listening & Speaking): Introduction to English pronunciation including minimal pairs and word stress – differences between British and American English – Listening comprehension and Note-taking - Any two pieces from the text.
Activities: Short speeches, seminars, quizzes, language games, debates, and discussions, Book Reviews, etc.
Text: Language through Reading: Compilation by Amrita University for internal circulation.
- The Poplar Field by William Cowper
- Telephone Conversation by Wole Soyinka
- Higher Mathematics by R. K. Narayan
- Wings of Fire by Abdul Kalam (Part III.11)
- Best Investment I Ever Made by A. J. Cronin
- Death of an Indian by Krishna Charan Das
- Language through Practice: Compilation by Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham for internal circulation.