Association of Students of Computer Science for Information Interchange (ASCII)
The Association of Students of Computer Science for Information Interchange (ASCII) is the technical association of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. It was established in the year 1997. It started with 195 members including both student and faculty members in 1997. It is a union of the Undergraduate students (B.Tech - Computer Science and Engineering), Post Graduate students (MCA, M.Tech -Computer Vision and Image processing and M.Tech - Computer Science and Engineering) and faculty members. The activities are executed by students and providesopportunity to all students of CSE to conduct various technical and social events, helping them share and gain knowledge from their peers.
The technical events comprise of several workshops such as Android Programming, Web Development and Designing workshops for preparation towards competitive coding, debugging and the ever popular gaming event. Some of the social events include Induction and Farewell.
Cerebral Wars and Bootstrap are the major celebrated Technical Symposiumsconducted annually.Both of them are a series of contests which test the technical prowess of the students beyond the world of academics. The gaming event is also conducted for all the video game geeks of the campus. Winners are recognized by presenting awards and certificates at the Freshers or Farewell.
Freshers or as we like to call it Login, is conducted by the Junior Year students for the Sophomores as an official induction into the association. It is an informative-cum fun event which is one of the most awaited events every year. The farewell, better known as Reboot is the time of the year when the Junior students bid farewell to the Seniors. The event involves an official Prize distribution ceremony and several informal events. The various Student Awards instituted by the association on this solemn occasion are :
- Jayavel Memorial Award and Prakash Memorial Award
- Best Outgoing Student Award
- Best Project Awards
The Alumni continue to contribute to this forum by guiding their juniors on academics, placement and career. This association provides the space to develop their leadership skills, expose and share their technical skills. Overall, the forum provides a tight bond amongst themselves and with the department.
Major Programmes Organized by the Association in the recent past:
- Workshop on Computer Vision for Medical Imaging sponsored by (IETE & ASCII) was conducted on December 14th 2015. Sessions were delivered on the topic “Opportunities in dentistry for challenging applications” by Dr.Prabath Singh (Professor and Head of the Department, Conservative dentistry & Endodontics, Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi).
- One day workshop on “5 G security Architecture” by Prof. Raimo A. Kantola, Professor, Networking Technology Department of Communications and Networking, Aalto University, Finland on February 17th 2016.
- A talk on “Computer Vision, Image/ Video Processing” by Dr. Karthieyan Vaiapury ,Scientist R & D, Tata Consultancy Services on March 4th 2016.
- One day contest titled “Hackher” was executed on March 16th 2016(9-4pm)
- The sixth edition of “National Workshop on Computer Vision, Image Processing Techniques and Data Analytics” was conducted on18.03.2016 to 19.03.2016 .Chief Guest :Shri. B Gopala Krishna,Deputy Director,Data Processing, Products, Archival and Web Applications Area (DPPA & WAA) National Remote Sensing Centre ,Hyderabad and Mr.Vasan Sowmirajan,CEO,1000lookz.
- Hands-On training in “Design of IoT Nodes and interfacing to Cloud” on 28.03.2016 to 29.03.2016. Resource Persons were Mr.V.Anantha Narayanan, Mr.R.Shanmugasundaram, Mr KP Peeyush from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore.
- Workshop on “BIGDATA” was conducted on 12.04.2016 by Mr.Senthilkumaran from 1000Lookz, Chennai.
- One day talk on “Big Data Analytics, Business Intelligence, Ontologies and Semantic Web” by Prof. Vijayan Sukumaran of Department of Decision and Information Sciences, School of Business Administration, Oakland University on July 18th 2016.
- Research talk on “Dataset approach towards building a Network Intrusion Detection System” by Dr. Vasudevan on August 11th 2016.
- One day workshop on “Big Data( Scala and Apache Spark)” by Mr.Vijay Krishna Menon, CEN Department, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham ,Coimbatore on August 22nd 2016.
- Motivational talk on "How to prepare for placements" conducted on September 10th 2016 by our alumni Ms. S.Monica of 2012-16.
- Code Hour, an online coding event was jointly conducted by ACM student chapter and ASCII on 27/ 10/ 2015 & 28/ 10/ 2015.
- Bootstrap’15 which was a series of technical events was conducted in the months of September and October 2015.
- Two day workshop on web designing and Adobe Photoshop was conducted on 9/ 9/ 2015 & 10/ 9/ 2015 by ACM student chapter and ASCII.
- A weekly Android Programming Workshop conducted across two months from December 2014 to January 2015.
- Problem Solving & Algorithm Development Contest, Debugging Contest and Coding Contest for First years in the month of September 2014.
- Celebration of Software Freedom Day in September, 2014.
- Cerebral Wars’ 14 was conducted in the month of February 2014.
- Workshop on “Photoshop” conducted on 12/08/13 and 13/08/13.
- One day Workshop on “Hadoop” conducted on August 7, 2013.
- Two days Workshop on “Recent Technologies with Programming” conducted on 19th and 20th of July 2013.
- Cerebral wars 2013: A technical symposium conducted on 03/05/2013
- One day hands on workshop in Embedded software development on beagle board and leopard board held on November 18, 2012
- Two day Workshop on Application Development for Android Platform using Aakash-II 17th and 18th November, 2012.
- Cerebral wars 2011 A technical symposium conducted on November 4, 2011.
- 5 days workshop on multimedia for the CSE students - October 2010
- Workshop on Linux, Java and Networking for I year B. Tech. CSE students from 5th Apr. To 9th April 2010 (Sponsored by IETE-CBE)
- Cerebral wars 2009 A technical symposium conducted on 12/ 10/ 09
- One day Workshop on Technology for social welfare is conducted on 09/ 10/ 2009
- FDP on PC hardware workshop on 9th and 10th July 2009
- One day National level tech festival– Sankhya ’08 on 18th October 2008. Jointly organized by ASCII and Anantam Club (Dept. of Mathematics). Sponsored by BSNL, Ceronet, IETE and Dhanalakshmi Bank.