Activities - MSW
The MSW Department frequently displays wall posters on current social issues, problems and needs to inform and educate students and the public.
The MSW Student Associations have conducted seminars and workshops on Drugs and Alcohol Abuse, Suicide Prevention and Crisis Management. MSW students are active in institution wide cultural and spiritual activities.
Students have provided counseling service for local people with psycho/social/emotional problems. Students have developed several grant proposals.
- The Department of Social Work in association with Blood Bank, District Hospital, Kollam, organized a one-day Blood Donation Camp for the students as well as staff members of Amrita on November 11, 2013.
- Faculty members and students of MSW participated in city- level consultation on Strengthening Civil Society Voices on Urban Povertyconducted by Sahayi - Centre for Collection Learning and Action at YMCA, Kollam on September 28, 2013.
- Students and faculty members participated in the one-day national consultative workshop on Towards a Safer State: Lessons from Uttarakhand on September 12, 2013, held at the Institute of Land and Disaster Management, Government of Kerala.
- The Department of Social Work conducted a film festival and photo exhibition on behalf of Amrita Social Workers Association (ASWAS) and AMC at Amrita on April 20, 2013.
- Dr. Rajeev M. M., Chairperson, Department of Social Work, Amritapuri, participated in Europe-India International Research Forum –Samyoga held at Amrita University, Bangalore Campus, during April 2-4, 2013.
- The Department of Social Work conducted Disaster Preparedness program on March 19, 2013.
- The Department of Social Work observed World Social Work Day on March 19, 2013. A competition themed Social Engineering was the highlight of the day.
- The staff and students of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham and Volunteers of Yuva Dharma Dhara, the youth wing of Mata Amritanandamayi Math, formed a huge human chain on behalf of International Women’s Day on March 8, 2013.
- The World Cancer Day was observed by the Amrita Social Workers Association (ASWAS) on February 4, 2013..
- The Department of Social Work conducted a leadership training program with the support of Coconut Development Board for Coconut Producer's Society.
- Parvathy V., student of MSW, won the Best Paper Award in the 31st Annual National Conference of Indian Society of Professional Social Work, organized by Department of Psychiatry, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, during January 3-5, 2013.
- An Employee Engagement Survey was conducted at HML funded by the organisation. from December 17-22 2012.
- The White Ribbon Campaign was organized by Amrita Social Workers Association (ASWAS) commemorating International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women on November 26, 2012.
- The Department of Social Work celebrated World Social Workers Day through socially responsible action. As part of it. a blood donation camp was conducted. The program was organized with the support of District Hospital, Kollam. The program led to initiation of Amrita Blood Army (AMBA) on March 26,2012.
- The Department of Social Work observed International Woman’s Day at KSACS, Kollam, Mahila Mandiram Kollam and Gandhi Bhavan, Pathanapuram by Social Work trainees on March 8,2012.
- The Department of Social Work observed World Thinking Day by conducting field level program on World Thinking Day at Government Girls High School, Kollam wherein awareness generation and group discussion on Environmental Sustainability was organized. As part of the program, social work trainees conducted a role play on sustainable development on February 22, 2012.
- Interactive session with faculty and students of St. Ambrose University, Dr. Johny Augustine (Assistant Social Work), Professor of Davenport, Lowa and students of St. Ambrose University. In his talk, Dr .Johny Augustine introduced the heath system of United States on January 14,2012.
- The Department of Social Work observed World AIDS Day by creating awareness through distribution of notice describing the relevance of the day. The red ribbon - the universal symbol of awareness and support for those living with HIV was distributed in the campus, on December 1, 2011.
- The Department of Social Work, with the collaboration of Help Age India (an INGO), Institute of Palliative Medicine, Kozhikode and Four x4 Consulting Pvt., Ltd., New Delhi, conducted a Survey Research Initiative and a two day preparatory workshop on Research Methodology and Strategy for the field investigators and research supervisors (students and faculty members of the Department of Social Work) on November 22, 2011.
- Social work trainees Anoop P. Joseph and Aswathy R. initiated personality development classes by conducting awareness class for mothers and adolescent girls at Anganawady No. 53 of Karunagappally Taluk on November 17, 2011.
- The Department of Social Work observed World Mental Health Day by organizing poster exhibition / awareness program at Primary Health Center, Vallikavu and Karunagappally on October 10, 2011.
- Jagaran's Cycle Rally: A cycle rally from Kollam to Amritapuri, lead by faculty members from the departments of Physical Education and Social Work was conducted on September 26, 2011. Nearly 250 students gathered to raise awareness on the need for reducing pollution.
- A street play was performed at Sree Narayana Central School, Karunagappally on September 26, 2011 for creating awareness on the need for cleanliness and proper waste disposal. The street play was conceived and directed by V. S. Kochukrishna Kurup, Lecturer, and Department.of Social Work.
- The Department of Social Work observed World Alzheimer's day and organized awareness program at SIMS, Kollam and at Amritapuri Campus. The movie titled, "A MOMENT TO REMEMBER"- (Korean) based on Alzheimer's disease was also screened at the campus on September 22, 2011.