Medical laboratory technologists serve as members of the healthcare team, performing laboratory test related to the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They work in an interesting and dynamic environment using high-tech instruments to analyze samples and generate information with accuracy and quality control which assists the healthcare professionals.
There is always a high demand for trained lab professionals and with the advent of accreditation to laboratories the need for competent, skilled medical laboratory technicians is high and is expected to increase significantly in the coming years.
Currently the Microbiology department has 9 teaching faculty . 6 of them are doctors with MD in microbiology. The experienced, competent and stable faculty with 2 Professors, one Additional professor, one Associate Professor, two Assistant Professors, one lecturer and two tutors is an asset of this institution.
An all-round development of the students is ensured through the balanced blend of curricular and extracurricular activities. Class room teaching is made effective by the use of modern educational technology.
Apart from the practical training in the laboratories, students get exposed to several tests done in various laboratories like Microbiology, Haematology, Cytology, Blood bank, Biochemistry, Toxicology etc.
Central library has many text books, Journals, both Indian and foreign and internet facilities with online databases. There is a good department library too.
Job opportunities for MSc MLT :
- Medical laboratory professionals have many job opportunities in Hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, public health facilities, commercial clinical laboratories; they also find jobs in industrial research and in forensic and pharmaceutical laboratories in India as well as abroad.
- In hospitals they will be initially appointed as technologists and in time may be promoted as Laboratory manager, Lab supervisor, Lab In charge, Health care administrator, Health and safety officer.
- In Drug analysis lab they can work as drug safety officer where they can do drug testing, therapeutic drug monitoring.
- In Research labs they can work as analytical associate, technical associate and after PhD they can be appointed as scientists.
- In blood banks they can work as blood bank supervisors.
- In Educational institutions they can work as coordinators, tutors or lecturers. If academically inclined one can pursue PhD and be promoted as Assistant Professor in educational institutions. Able candidates in due course of time can head a Paramedical institution.