‘Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry II – Practical’ is a course offered in the fifth semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Morphology, histology and powder characteristics & extraction & detection of: Cinchona, Cinnamon, Senna, Clove, Ephedra, Fennel and Coriander
- Exercise involving isolation & detection of active principles
- Caffeine – from tea dust.
- Diosgenin from Dioscorea
- Atropine from Belladonna
- Sennosides from Senna
- Separation of sugars by Paper chromatography
- TLC of herbal extract
- Distillation of volatile oils and detection of phytoconstitutents by TLC
- Analysis of crude drugs by chemical tests: (i) Asafoetida (ii) Benzoin (iii) Colophony (iv) Aloes (v) Myrrh
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- W.C.Evans, Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy, 16th edition, W.B. Sounders & Co., London, 2009.
- Mohammad Ali. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, CBS Publishers & Distribution, New Delhi.
- Text book of Pharmacognosy by C.K. Kokate, Purohit, Gokhlae (2007), 37th Edition, Nirali Prakashan, New Delhi.
- Herbal drug industry by R.D. Choudhary (1996), Ist Edn, Eastern Publisher, New Delhi.
- Essentials of Pharmacognosy, Dr.SH.Ansari, IInd edition, Birla publications, New Delhi, 2007
- Herbal Cosmetics by H.Pande, Asia Pacific Business press, Inc, New Delhi.
- A.N. Kalia, Textbook of Industrial Pharmacognosy, CBS Publishers, New Delhi, 2005.
- R Endress, Plant cell Biotechnology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1994.
- Pharmacognosy & Pharmacobiotechnology. James Bobbers, Marilyn KS, VE Tylor.
- The formulation and preparation of cosmetic, fragrances and flavours.
- Remington’s Pharmaceutical sciences.
- Text Book of Biotechnology by Vyas and Dixit.
- Text Book of Biotechnology by R.C. Dubey.