Ph. D. in Management
Amrita is one of the few B-Schools in the country where a doctoral Program in Management is offered. The doctoral Program was started by ASB with a view to encouraging the aspiring scholars to take up research in the country. The first batch of the doctoral Program was commenced in 2009.
The ASB faculty has over the years published in some of the top peer reviewed international journals of their respective fields. This list includes Annals of Operation Research, European Journal of Operations Research, International Journal of Applied Economics and Econometrics, International Journal of Operations Research, International Journal of Production Economics, International Journal of Systems Science, OPSEARCH, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of International Business Studies, Academy of Management, Academy of Management Review, Long Range Planning, and Leadership and Organizational Development Journal.
About Ph. D.
In an era where knowledge creation and applied research is being acknowledged as the primary basis for the development and growth of society, Amrita School of Business(ASB) is aiming itself in the same direction, acknowledging the value of it.
ASB is one of the few B-Schools in the country where a Doctoral Program in Management is offered. The Doctoral Program was started by ASB with a view to encouraging the aspiring scholars to take up research in the country. Having a pool of faculty who have their Doctorate from globally known Institutions and Universities and continuously engaged in research has put ASB in an advantageous position to initiate the PhD Program. The first batch of the Doctoral Program was commenced in 2009.
Amrita School of Business is currently offering part time PhD program. The normal period of completion for a full-time Doctoral student is maximum 6 years. In the case of part-time Doctoral students, the maximum period allowed to complete the program is 7 years.
The prospective students of part time PhD program comes from various walks of life including Colleges, Universities, R&D Centers and Corporate & Business Houses. The interest areas of current scholars include business strategy, innovation, social media marketing, logistics and supply chain, energy, sustainble development, micro finance, SME, organisational design, corporate governance and CSR.
The major areas of specialization include:
- Organizational Behavior and Human Resources
- Information Technology and Management Strategy
Curriculum/Course Work Structure
- The selected scholars have to undergo One and half years of coursework in four phases with an interval of 5 months. Some scholars may have to take one year additional coursework prior to this if they do not come from specific domains of Business Studies.
- Each phase of coursework would be for 30 days, usually in the months of January and June.
- In each semester there are 3 Courses.
- The scholars have to successfully complete their 12 courses and pass the Comprehensive Examination before defending their research proposal.
- 12 Courses= 4 Research Methodology Courses (namely Research Methodology, Statistics for Management Research, Advanced Qualitative Methods and Advanced Quantitative Methods) + 1 Philosophy of Management Research Course + 7 Core and related area courses.
- In addition to 12 courses scholars have to participate in workshops and work on at least one research papers along with a mentor and submit those as ASB working papers. These are prerequisite for the Comprehensive Examination.
Standard Course Outline
- A Doctoral Seminar in Innovation 2011
- Advance Quantitative Methods - Course Outline
- An Advanced Seminar in Consumer Behavior Research 2012
- Applied Econometric Methods – II
- Behavioural Economics II
- Course on Qualitative Methods and Techniques in Social Science Research
- Doctoral Seminar In Human Resource Management (HRM) Outline
- Design of Experiments Outline
- International Financial Management Ph. D. Course Outline 2011
- New Institutional Economics (NIE) - Course Outline - Dr. Amalendu Jyotishi and Dr. Sushanta Mahapatra
- Ph. D. Seminar in Marketing ASB Course Outline Winter 2011
- Research Methodology Course Outline
- Statistics for Management Research (SMR)
- Sustainability and Greening - Ph. D. Course Outline - 2012-13 ASB Amrita University
- Theories of Personality Course Outline
The applicant should possess:
- Masters degree in Arts, Science or Management or a Postgraduate diploma in Management (recognized by either the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) or the All-India Council on Technical Education (AICTE) as equivalent to a MBA), or any degree equivalent, with 60% marks.
- Bachelors degree in, Engineering, Medicine, Law or any other professional qualification requiring four or more years of education after plus two, with 60% marks.
- Recognized professional degrees such as CA, AICWA, or ACS or its equivalent, with 55% marks.
And work experience of at least two years either in industry or academics.
Candidates without a Postgraduate Degree or Diploma in Management from a recognized institution or University, if selected, have to undergo additional one year of coursework in the line of First Year MBA Program of ASB. Some of the courses may be waived for some scholars based on their Masters Degree. This, however, is under the discretion of Committee on Postgraduate Program (CPGP), chaired by PGP Chairperson.
Applicants should show evidence of strong academic record. Excellent test scores on standardized graduate aptitude tests such as GMAT/GRE and publications in recognized conferences and journals are examples of such evidence.
The Call for Applications will generally be posted twice a year on the University website, accessible via http://www.amrita.edu/asb. Each Applicant should submit, in addition to his or her degree certificates and grade/ mark sheets, a Statement of Purpose (describing his or her research interests), tentative research proposal, and up to three areas of interest in the order of preference for selecting the major area courses for Ph. D. programme.
Entrance Test and Interview
The Committee on Postgraduate Programmes (CPGP), chaired by the PGP-Chairperson will screen the applications and call the selected applicants for an entrance test followed by an interview. The Interview Committee constituted by the CPGP will examine the applicantsâ€™ background and aptitude for research. Based upon the entrance test and interview performance and prior academic record, the Committee shall give its recommendation to the CPGP. The CPGP will finalize the admission and notify the selected applicants the date of joining. All prospective thesis advisors may be involved in the selection process and their consent obtained before being appointed as the thesis advisor for any applicant.
Whenever required, the Committee may request additional evidence, such as letters of recommendation, copies of claimed publications, etc. The Committee may also conduct its own entrance examination.
How to Apply
Download the Application Form along with all the relevant documents and a Demand Draft of Rs. 1000/- drawn in favor of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amrita School of Business payable at Coimbatore, should be sent to:
Chairperson Ph. D. Programme: Business Management,
Amrita School of Business,
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham,
Coimbatore 641 112, Tamil Nadu.
|Last Date For Receiving Applications||September 7th or the next working day if it is a weekend or a holiday.
Applications submitted beyond this date may be considered for the following year's admission.
|Research Aptitude Test Date||September 20th|
|Interview Date||September 21st|
|Winter Semester Classes||December 26th to January 25th|
|Summer Semester Classes||May 21st to June 20th|
All Applicants will have to appear for Test and Interview. Admission will be based on performance in Test and Personal Interview.
|Beginning of Semester 1 - Rs. 65,000/-||Beginning of Semester 2 - Rs. 47,500/-||Beginning of Semester 3 - Rs. 47,500/-||Beginning of Semester 4 - Rs. 40,000/-|
*This will not include the charges for hostel, food and other facilities and incidental expenses.
As of now, financial support in terms of fee waiver exists only for Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham employees.