Ph. D. in Philosophy is offered by Amrita Darshanam - International Center for Spiritual Studies.
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program is a rigorous course of advanced and original research that prepares students for a lifetime of field-defining scholarship, intellectual leadership and teaching in the area of Indian philosophy, Western philosophy and interdisciplinary studies. It aims to form scholars and academicians through constructive, critical engagement with Indian philosophical tradition in its complexity and diversity, and where appropriate, in conversation with other intellectual traditions in their multiplicity and variety. The research areas broadly include Indian Darshanas, Classical and folk arts, Architecture and Literature, History of Ancient Indian Sciences, Indian Polity and Economy, and Comparative Studies. The Ph.D. program nurtures excellence in (1) research and writing, and (2) teaching. This program provides doctoral students with the opportunity to develop expertise in their chosen discipline through the completion of a supervised research project.
Flow Chart Application Form
- Qualifying entrance examination
- Choice of thesis advisor and formation of doctoral committee
- Completion of 12 credits or 26 credits for candidates from different discipline
- Completion of comprehensive exam after coursework, within 2-3 years of Ph.D. registration
- Commencement of thesis proposal and research
- Publication of one research paper in research area per year
- Working synopsis
- Thesis proposal/ qualifying examination
- Work-in-progress seminar (every six months)
- Pre submission seminar
- Final synopsis submission
- Thesis submission (within six weeks of final synopsis submission)
- Thesis review by external examiners (1 international, 1 national and 1 from doctorial committee)
- Thesis defense
Students should plan their program of study in accordance with these guidelines.
Candidates are admitted based on the availability of guides. They have to qualify either the university entrance examination or the National Eligibility Test conducted by the UGC. Final selection is based on interview.
Full-time basis is between 3 years (min) to 6 years (max). The average duration is 5 years.
Amrita usually conducts entrance examination twice a year in January and June. Interested candidates should wait for the call for application which is publicized through the website, dailies and social media.
|Indian Research Scholars
||Rs. 30,000 per year
|International Research Scholars
|One Time Registration Fee
|Tuition Fee Per Year
This program prepares the graduates for a plethora of job opportunities as : Faculty in Universities, Spiritual and psychological Counsellors in government and corporate / industry, Professionals in the field of publishing, Executives in business and management, Human resources Specialists, Community organizers and work in public relations, Health and Environmental Consultants, Social Workers and Journalists.