- Technical Quiz 'Techathon'
An interesting technical quiz titled 'Techathon' was held on 4th of October, 2016 jointly by IEEE- WIE (student affinity group) and IEEE-PES & IAS, Student Branch Joint chapter of Amrita school of engineering, Bengaluru at 3:30pm in Rama Hall. It was conducted under the guidance of Dr.K.Deepa, IEEE-WIE-ASE and IEEE-PES-ASE mentor and was flawlessly executed by the IEEE student members.
The event saw a good participation from students of B.tech 1st, 2nd and 3rd years of different branches. Teams of 3 each were formed and the quiz was composed of sections with ascending level of difficulty. A perfect ambience for testing the team work and exchanging knowledge was created and everyone thoroughly enjoyed. Post the quiz, the participants were given an opportunity to pitch in ideas for events and workshops to be conducted in the near future, which received an amazing response.
- One Day hands-on workshop on “SOLAR 360: Electrical”
A one day workshop with hands-on session on "Solar 360 : Electrical" was conducted at Amrita School of Engineering (ASE) on 22nd October, 2016 from 10:00am to 5pm. The event was co-ordinated by Dr. K.Deepa, Convener, Assistant Professor, Dept. of EEE and was organized by IEEE Members.The workshop included a crowd of 40 IEEE members and 81 non-IEEE members. The workshop was conducted in 3 sessions.
The first session was taken up by Dr.Deepa, Assistant Professor, Dept. of EEE which included the introduction to solar energy and its utility in real life, also how the energy estimation is done.
The second session was taken by Mr.Ronaldo, alumni of ASE , Bengaluru and presently working in BOSCH as a hardware engineer. His session included the construction of solar panel and the parameters taken into consideration before its build-up.
The third session was the working on matlab and live demonstration of its interfacing with a solar panel. This also included the construction of buck-boost converter using matlab software.The sessions were really knowledgeable, authentic and useful. It helped in creating foresighted vision about the different aspects related to electrical field. It also enlightened the young minds to come up with unique ideas and implement it in real life.
- Energy Conservation Week (ENERGON) : ENERGON is an energy conservation week organized by the chapter from 24th-28th October 2016.This was to enlighten students about the importance of energy and its preservation. Following are the various events conducted under this banner.
- Circuitrix : Circuitrix is a basic electrical circuit analysis competition organized on 24th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. In this event students were given 10 circuits and were asked to debug or analyze them with in 1 hour. This event was to test the basic circuit knowledge of the students. Sixty students from all the departments attended this event.
- M.U.S.T.(Make your Statement) : M.U.S.T is a panel discussion conducted on 25th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. In this event, Dr.Debjyothi Sahu (A.P, ME Department), Mr. Ullhas. K (A.P, ME Department), Dr. Praveen Kumar (A.P, Physics Department) were the panelists. Dr.Debjythi Sahu spoke about energy policies in India, Mr. Ullhas.K discussed the energy conservation in solar perspective. Dr. Praveen concluded the discussion by explaining the Batteries in R.E.S. About 50 students from all departments attended this event.
- Pitch it up : Pitch it up is a student interactive event held on 26th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. In this event, students were given problems related to energy conservation faced in general life and were asked to come up with solutions. They were judged on the basis of effectiveness in presentation, analyzing the reasons for those problems and efficiency of their solutions. About 30 students from all the departments attended this event.
- S.U.P.(Save your power) : S.U.P is a talk on energy auditing organized in collaboration with Vidyuth, the student forum on 27th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. Dr.Deepa.K (A.P, EEE Department) gave a lecture on energy auditing with the help of case study of energy consumption in Railway Bhavan and various ways of tapping natural resources. About 25 students from all departments attended this event.
- Eco Spark: Eco Spark is a technical exhibition held on 28th October 2016 from 2.30pm to 4.00pm at the new block entrance. Two projects were exhibited and demonstrated by students, one of them was on the P.V characteristics and the other was on Automatic Room Lighting Technique.ENERGON is focused on applying the theoretical knowledge to practice. As the student feedback on the various events conducted was positive, it is planned to conduct the events under this banner every year to benefit the future generations and to bring awareness on importance of energy saving.
- Technical Event "TECH-TAC-TOE" - Vidyuth, the departmental forum for Electrical and Electronics Engineering at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru organized an event titled ‘Tech-Tac-Toe’ on 26th September 2016 in Rama Hall from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM. ‘Tech-Tac-Toe’ is a semi technical event that is designed to test the technical as well as spontaneous skills of the participants.The event had three rounds where questions become more sophisticated as the participating team hop from one round to another. Round one was a quiz based round with technical and general questions (total of 7 minutes was given to solve the questions) followed by tech- tac-toe game with some complications in it. Final round was a time bounded technical round which involved thought-provoking electrical questions.The event witnessed a turnout of 37 teams with 2 members in each team making it a grand success.
- IEEE PES Student Branch Chapter of Amrita School of Engineering under the mentorship of Dr. K. Deepa, inaugurated on 10th August 2015, has been ranked 19th in the world ranking of “High performing Student Branch Chapter 2015” and 3rd in India, the chapter will receive $294 as award fund from IEEE Headquarters.
- “BRAINSTORM”- An Introduction to PES and IAS chapter was arranged by IEEE-PES and IAS joint student branch chapter, Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru on August 22nd, 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm. The main aim of this session was to brief the importance of PES and IAS joint student chapter. The session was witnessed by the IEEE-PES and IAS joint student branch chapter members and all B.Tech and M.Tech students of Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru.
- Seminar on “IEEE Power Electronic Society(PELS)- An Insight”
IEEE Power Electronics Society Student Branch chapter of Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru, with the support and guidance of Chairman and faculty of EEE department conducted a seminar on “IEEE Power Electronic Society(PELS)- An Insight" on 11th August, 2016 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru. The talk was given by Mr. Nipin K. K. (2nd year M.Tech., PE), Ms. Sandra Joji (7th Sem B.Tech., EEE) and Mr. Sripada (5th Sem B.Tech., EEE). The PELS introductory talk was mainly aimed at the 1st, 2nd year B.Tech.(EEE) and 1st year M.Tech.(PE) students.
Mr. Sripada started his talk introducing IEEE and IEEE Power Electronic Society (IEEE-PELS) student branch chapter. He gave overview of the activities that will take place under IEEE and briefed about the importance of the PELS chapter. He also mentioned the activities conducted in the past under the chapter and also gave an idea about various events that are going to be conducted at Amrita School of Engineering under IEEE and IEEE-PELS Student Branch Chapter. He gave a brief outline on how to join IEEE and how students will be benefited by joining IEEE and IEEE-PELS.
Ms. Sandra Joji gave a concise explanation of how the subjects that B. Tech students are studying can be related to power electronics with few examples like choppers and their applications. She also mentioned about the various power electronic switching devices such as power diode, MOSFET etc. and how they can be used in power converters.
Mr. Nipin K. K. started his discourse explaining what is power electronics and later he discussed about the courses that M. Tech in Power Electronics deals with. While explaining the application of theory to practice, he mentioned how soft computing techniques such as fuzzy logic controller can be used to generate gating pulses to switch the power electronic devices. He concluded his session mentioning a few applications and scope of power electronics. He also motivated students to join IEEE and IEEE-PELS for networking with experts and to get updated with the present technology.
Inspired by the success of this event during last academic year, VIDYUTH took initiative to teach Basic Electrical Engineering concepts to the first year students. “Know Your Basics” is a one day teaching session of EEE-100 course. It was an interactive learning session where EEE seniors took the initiative of teaching the juniors. The event was coordinated and organized on 3rd March 2016 at 3:00 PM in Rama hall. We received a positive feedback from all the 20 students who attended these sessions
Industrial visit provides students a practical exposure to product design and development that happen in an industry. Under VIDYUTH forum an “Industrial Visit to Schneider Electric” for VI semester EEE students was organized. Group of 60 students along with faculties Ms.Syama S. and Ms. V. Sailaja, visited Schneider Electric in Electronic city on 3rd March 2016. The students were explained about a Solar Inverter in the Galaxy Series of Inverters. This is an inverter which would work only if it senses that the grid voltage is as rated and that there is no fault in the transmitted power or when there is sufficient amount of sunlight to produce a DC voltage within its operating range, else it remains dormant. When it is operating, it synchronizes its output with the grid frequency and feeds it. Overall, this was a highly informative industrial visit. Students learnt about the company as a global leader in its various fields of specialization, various safety practices gave a visual and practical insight into the various power electronic devices used in the assembled products and their testing.
- IEEE PES and IAS student branch chapter, amrita school of engineering, bengaluru organised a talk by Mr.Raghunandan n. v, from national instruments (an alumini amrita school of engineering) on the topic “iot in industries”
- The following events conducted in Amrita School of Engineering , Bengaluru were published in the annual report 2015 of IEEE Bangalore section
- Inauguration of IEEE Power Energy Society Student Chapter held on August 10,2015
- Seminar on “Power Quality” on September 1st , 2015
- A talk on “Impact of Greenhouse Effect and Carbon Foot print” held on September 9th ,2015
- Workshop on “Industrial Energy Auditing” held on September 19th 2015
- A talk on “ Future Battery Charging Infrastructure for Transportation Electrification” on October 5th ,2015
- IEEE WIE Symposium 2016 organized by IEEE India Council WIE-AG supported by Amrita School of Engineering Bengaluru on 7th and 8th November 2015 is published in the 2015 Annual report of IEEE Bangalore section
- A technical seminar on "Excitation controls-automatic voltage regulators" by arvind gupta, agm, ots-electrical, adani power ltd,ahmedabad conducted by ieee pes student branch chapter, at amrita school of engineering, bangalore on 20-01-2016 from 8.30am to 10am.
- IEEE-PELS distinguished lecture programme on “Hardware-in-the-loop systems with power electronics - a powerful simulation tool” by Dr. Ralph M Kennel, chair- electrical drives systems & power electronics, technical university, munich, germany at amrita school of engineering, amrita vishwa vidyapeetham, bengaluru campus on 20-01-2016.
- ELECSPIRE was an event organized by Vidyuth the departmental forum of EEE on 13th January 2016 at Rama hall from 3:30 PM to 4:20 PM. The event witnessed a crowd of about 50 participants. The event aimed at bringing the latest technology and the ideas from the field of Electrical Engineering to use and successfully deliver a taste of the real world examples to all the participants present.
IEEE Power Electronics Society student Branch chapter at Amrita School of Engineering organized a distinguished lecture program titled “is Chair and Professor for Electrical Drive Systems and Power Electronics at Technische Universitaet Muenchen (Germany).