Activities at Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bengaluru Campus
WORKSHOPS / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES ORGANIZED
IEEE Power Electronics Society student Branch chapter at Amrita School of Engineering had organized a seminar on “Energy Efficiency in Electrical System” by Mr. V Suresh Babu, Asst. Director, NPTI (PSTI), Ministry of Power, Govt. of India on 25th of November 2016 at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Bangalore Campus.
IEEE Power Electronics Society Student Branch chapter, Amrita School of Engineering had organized a three day FDP on “Application of Digital Controller TMS20F28027 in Power Electronics and Drives” by Mr. Arjun Yadav, Research Associate, IISC Bengaluru and Director, M/S Conwatts Technologies, Bengaluru” at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Bengaluru Campus.The digital controller board provides a low cost solution to power electronics applications and digital motor control applications. The on-chip and on-board hardware modules makes it easier to implement advanced control techniques and their execution. This board support the implementation of application using C language which makes the development of controller faster and easier.FDP gave an insight to the architecture of digital control card (DCC), initialization of DCC, GPIO, interrupts and generation of PWM pulses. Configuration of ADC and DAC and generation of different types of voltage waveforms, generation of PWM pulses etc with hands on lab sessions. He explained about the selection of registers for various applications and how to write program in code composer studio for various applications.The sessions were very interesting and informative and faculty members of EEE department, ASE attended the workshop.
The IEEE student chapter of Amrita School of Engineering ,Bengaluru conducted TechWizz on 11th November,2016 as part of Aarohan'16 . This contest procured a tremendous number of students. The first qualifier was a pen and paper round which was called '4 pic 1 word' , where in the participants in teams of four were asked to crack the clues hidden in the displayed pictures, which led to the answer . Filtered based on 'most answers in minimum time’, over 14 teams qualified for the second round . This round was expertly designed to bemuse the young minds. Constructed based on the concept of ‘Sudoku with a twist', this round tested the students’ spontaneity and decrypting skills, 4 teams were qualified for the final round. The final level was more of a fun event with buzzer wires. The competition concluded with the students expressing their satisfaction.
IEEE Power Electronics Society Student Branch chapter at Amrita School of Engineering had organized “TRICTECH” on 26th of October 2016 at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Bengaluru Campus.B. Tech 1st year and 2nd year students of all the branches has participated in the event. The event was conducted in three sessions which started with a video which shows new generation of the world (i.e.) how the world looks like in 2050 and what are the changes that are going to happen and how we have to be prepared.The event continued with the seminar on “Distribution of power in transmission line” by Mr. Ajit N, P.G Scholar- Power Electronics and Mr.Suresh, UG scholar(EEE), Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru. They gave a brief introduction about transmission lines and types of transmission lines like long, short and medium transmission lines. They also gave a short overview of power generation and distribution of power in transmission lines.The 3rd session of the event is technical cross words which were conducted in batches of two from which four batches were selected to the next round based on time of completion of the crosswords with perfect answers. The 2nd round was technical quiz in which questions regarding basic electrical engineering, logos and scientists were asked. One team is elected as winners and one as runners from the four teams participated in the second round. The session was concluded with vote of thanks and prize distribution to the winners.
Following events were conducted under IEEE –PES & IAS Joint Chapter.
- Seminar on "Synchrophasor For Smart Grid Applications."
A seminar titled "Synchrophasor For Smart Grid Applications" was arranged by IEEE-PES and IAS joint student branch chapter, Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore on 3rd September, 2016 from 9 am to 11 am in Rama Hall. The guest speaker was Mr. Kaliappa, Joint Director, CPRI, Bangalore, India. The event was attended by the students of B.Tech and M.Tech of the department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Mr. Kaliappa started his speech by providing a brief introduction on Smart Grids and advantages of Smart Grid. The main focus was on the role of power electronics and Power systems in the evolution Synchrophasors, the types of PMU’s (Phasor measurement Units), various installation methods, various applications and advantages of Synchrophasors. Alongside Mr. Kaliappa also discussed about various modernized techniques used in CPRI and also briefed students about various trendy research areas. It was indeed a knowledgeable session to learn about the Synchrophasors for smart grid applications.
- ‘Design of things’
An event titled ‘Design of things’ was organized by IEEE-PES and IAS joint student branch chapter, Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore on 21st September, 2016 from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm in E-learning Hall. The event was attended by the students from all the departments of B.Tech. The event was primarily held to encourage innovative thinking and hone problem solving skills of the students. The students in a team of 3 presented their design for the given couple of problem. Participants were evaluated on the basis of creativity and feasibility of their ideas by Ms. Manitha P.V, Asst. Professor, Dept. of EEE and Ms. Anjana Jain, Asst. Professor, Dept. of EEE. Winners were announced on the basis of above mentioned criteria for their idea of generating electricity.
- Seminar on "Energy Management and Audit"
IEEE-PES Bangalore chapter organized a seminar on ‘Energy Management and Audit’ on 30th September 2016, in Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore. The talk was delivered by Dr. Rajashekar P.Mandi, Director, School of Electrical & Electronics Engg, Reva Institute of Technology. He gave an insight on why we need to conserve energy and different ways of efficient utilization of energy. The seminar gave a glimpse on the increasing need for energy conservation in the present scenario where the global average temperature is increasing by one degree Celsius. He also stressed upon the increasing levels of Carbon Di Oxide in atmosphere and its devastating effect. Dr.Rajashekar holds 26 years of working experience at the research institute CPRI. He shared his on-site experiences and also briefed on the efficiency of agro pumps in fields. He spoke about the various light efficient techniques such as CFLs, LED lamps, different electronic ballasts which could reduce the load amount by a higher margin. He holds expertise as a member of Bureau of Energy standards and conservation India. He explained about the existing energy demand gap of 8-12% in the present scenarios and also about the forecast of reaching 425MW capacity in 2027 where in the generation must be able to cope up with the increasing demand. He also stressed upon the statistics observed when different energy efficient techniques were practiced. The interactive session went on for two hours from 10:30am to 12:30 pm in Rama Hall. As a token of gratitude a memento was presented by Dr. Ramprabhakar, Assistant Professor, Dept of Electricals and Electronics Bangalore to Dr. Rajashekar P.Mandi on behalf of ASE, Bangalore.
- Seminar on "Synchrophasor For Smart Grid Applications."
IEEE Power Electronics Society student Branch chapter of Amrita School of Engineering had organized a seminar on “IEEE POWER ELECTRONIC SOCIETY- AN INSIGHT” By Nipin K K, Sandra, Sripada, Students of Amrita School of Engineering on 11th August, 2016 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru.M. Tech. Power Electronics, final year and pre final year students, B. Tech 1st year students along with faculty members of the Electrical and Electronics department attended the seminar.Mr. Sripada started his talk introducing IEEE, overview of the activities that will take place under IEEE, introducing IEEE Power Electronic Society (IEEE-PELS) student branch chapter and what it is for.
Two events were conducted by IEEE PES & IAS Joint Student Branch Chapter, Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru. Both these events were attended by B.Tech and M.Tech students of the department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Details of the events are as under:-
- Seminar on "Overview of aircraft electrical systems"
A seminar titled "Overview of aircraft electrical systems" was arranged on 22nd July, 2016. The guest speaker was Mr.PVR Saikiran, scientist in CSIR-National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), India. Mr.Saikiran commenced by providing a brief introduction on the aerospace related disciplines and R&D at NAL. The main focus was on the role of power electronics in the evolution of electrical system in the aircrafts. Mr.Saikiran also talked about the standards used for an aircraft electrical power generation and distribution system. Alongside, a research work in power electronics carried at NAL was elaborated and he was kind enough to share with students some insightful information regarding internships and work opportunities at NAL. It was indeed a knowledgeable session to learn about the electrical system employed in aircrafts.
- Seminar on "Propulsion Equipment for Indian Railway "
A seminar titled "Propulsion Equipment for Indian Railway " was arranged on 28th July, 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm. The guest speaker was Mr. Shekar R, DGM BHEL-EDN. He was accompanied by Mr, V. V. N. S. S. R. M. Krishna, Sr. Engineer BHEL-EDN. Mr. Shekar started the event with the evolution of Indian Railways i.e from steam to electric locomotives. His main focus was on the role of power electronics in the evolution of electric traction. He also highlighted the use and advantages of IGBTs for the traction purpose of locomotives. Mr. Shekar described briefly about the nomenclature of locos (eg.WAG9, WAP5, WAP7) and talked about the development, manufacture and supply of 3-Phase IGBT-based propulsion systems for Electric Locomotives and AC EMUs for Indian Railways. The session was really a great opportunity for the students to get equipped with the knowledge and ideas related to the advancement of power electronics in the field of traction.
- Seminar on "Overview of aircraft electrical systems"
IEEE WIE Symposium 2015 was organized by IEEE India Council WIE-AG in collaboration with IEEE Bangalore Section on the 7th and 8th of November 2015 at Amrita School of Engineering , Bangalore, with the theme ‘Build. Empower. Inspire.’.
IEEE Power Electronics Society Student Branch Chapter at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru organized a seminar on “Power Electronics Applications in Power Systems" on 3rd of November 2015.
Dr Krishnan C.M.C and Mr J Ramprabhakar organized a workshop on “Introduction to LATEX” on 7TH Feb, 2015 Krishna Hall, Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore .
Mr. A P Kalaichelvan(Commercial Pilot in Arik Air flying airbus A330) gave a talk on 'Stress, Time management communication and situational awareness' on 14th January 2015.
Mr. Shankar S and Mr. K. Ilango organized a workshop on “Embedded System Control for Power Electronic Applications” on 10/11/14 & 11/11/14
- Prof N J Rao,Associate Faculty DESE, IISc Bangalore and Consulting Professor IIIT Bengaluru delivered a Seminar on “SCHOLORSHIPS” 2nd august
Dr H V Manjunath, Professor, Department of EEE, ASE Bengaluru delivered a Seminar on “Soft Switching Converters for renewable energy” 16th august
- Anjana Jain organized the 2014 International conference on Power and Energy Systems: Towards Sustainable Energy (PESTSE 2014) on 13-15th March, 2014 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore
- Nithya.M organized a workshop on “Texas Instruments C2000 microcontrollers” on 13-14 March 2012 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore.
- Dr. K. Manickavasagam organized a two weeks ISTE workshop on “Solar Photovoltaic - Fundamentals, Technologies and Application” during 12th - 22nd December, 2011 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore.
WORKSHOPS / SEMINARS / CONFERENCES ATTENDED
2015 – 2016
- Manitha P.V attended another webinar on " FDP on circuit simulation/PCB design using Target 3001!", Software with DELLSOFT Technologies Pvt. Ltd on 13th July 2016
- Dr. K.Deepa and Ms. Manitha P.V attended a webinar on "Power system design and analysis using DIgSILENT" power factory software with DELLSOFT Technologies Pvt. Ltd conducted between 11th -13th July 2016.
- Dr.K.Deepa attended a Faculty development programme on “NBA Accreditation Process ” at SJB Institute of Technology, Bengaluru from 29th February2016 to 4th March2016
- Dr.Kishore Naik Mude attended a conference on “ EMN Meeting on Batteries” at Orlando, Florida, USA (Sponsored by DST and Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham) on 21st -25th February 16
- Dr. J. Ramprabhakar attended a conference on “Challenges and Opportunities of Renewable Energy Conversion Technologies ” at ACS College of Engineering, Bangalore on 25th – 26th February 16 (Sponsored by MNRE).
- Dr.S.Shankar and Mrs.V.S.Kirthika Devi attended a conference on “Micro Grids Challenges and Opportunities ” at IIT Chennai (ABB IITM sponsored one day workshop) on 26th February 16 .
- Mrs. Mini Sujith ,Dr. M.R. Rashmi, Dr. Shankar.S ,Dr. K. Deepa, Mrs. Nithya M, Mrs. Mamata I,Mrs. V. S. Kirthika Devi,Mrs. Anjana Jain, Mrs. Sreekala.M, Mrs. Sailaja.V, Mrs. Lekshmi S, Mrs. Sudha Yadav, Mrs. K. Sireesha,Dr. J. Ramprabakar,,Dr. Kishore Naik Mude,Mrs. S. Syama,Mrs. D. Mahalakshmi,Mrs. P.V.Manitha attended “PESTSE 2016-IEEE Biennial conference on Power and Energy Systems: Towards Sustainable Energy” organized by EEE Dept, ASE Bengaluru held on 21st-23rd January 2016.
2014 – 2015
- Dr. M. R. Rashmi, Mrs. Mini Sujith, Mrs. V. S. Kirthika Devi, Mrs. K. Deepa, Mrs Nithya M, Mrs. Mamtha I, Mrs. Sudha Yadav, Mrs. K. Sireesha, Mr. J. Ramprabakar, Dr. Shankar.S, Dr. Kishore Naik Mude, Mrs. S. Syama, Mrs. D. Mahalakshmi, Mrs. P. V. Manitha attended IEEE WIE Symposium 2015’ organized by IEEE Bangalore Section on 7th -8th November 2015 held at Amrita School of Engineering , Bengaluru.
- Mrs. Mini Sujith attended a Two day Workshop on Plagiarism on 16th - 17th October 2015 at VTU Regional Office, Bengaluru
- Mrs. V. S. Kirthika Devi, Mrs. Sreekala M, Mrs. K. Sireesha, Mrs. S. Syama attended a 3 day training programme on ‘NI Lab VIEW Hardware Interface conducted on 15th – 17th October 2015.
- Dr. M. R. Rashmi, Mrs. Mini Sujith, Mrs. V. S. Kirthika Devi, Mrs. K. Deepa, Mrs. Anjana Jain, Mrs. Sreekala. M, Mrs. Sailaja. V, Mrs. Sudha Yadav, Mrs. K. Sireesha, Mr. J. Ramprabakar, Dr. Shankar. S, Dr. Kishore Naik Mude, Mrs. S. Syama, Mrs. D. Mahalakshmi, Mrs. P. V. Manitha attended “ Industrial Energy Audit” organized by the student branch chapters of IEEE POWER ENERGY SOCIETY (PES) in association with the IEEE POWER ELECTRONICS SOCIETY (PELS) on 19th September2015.
Mrs K.Sireesha attended “ Micro and smart system technologies” at Amrita School of Engineering Bengaluru in technical collaboration with IEEE Sensors Council, Bengaluru section on 10th and 11th , September, 2015.
Mrs M.Nithya attended the “Inauguration of IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (IEEE RAS)”at IISC ,Bengaluru on 12thSeptember 2015
Mrs Mamatha I attended a conference on “RC4Masses-Workshop on Reconfigurable Computing for the Masses, Really?” at Royal Institution, Imperial College, London, UK on 4th September 2015.
Mrs.K.Deepa and Dr.Kishore Nayak Mude attended a Course on “Overview of Intellectual Property Rights” at GE- John F. Welch Technology Centre (GE-JFWTC), Bangalore on 21st August 2015.
Mrs. Deepa K and Mrs Shyama S attended a Faculty development program on “Power System Lab” Amrita School of Engineering, Ettimadai, Coimbatore on 9-7-2015 and 10-7-2015
Mrs Mini Sujith, Dr Rashmi M R and Mrs Deepa K attended a Technical Talk on “Control of high dynamic medium voltage AC drives” by J.Holtz held in IISc, CEDT, Bangalore on 5th Jan2015.
Mr. J RamPrabhakar and Mrs Mahalakshmi.R attended a workshop on “Design and Analysis of Electrical Machines using ANSYS software” conducted on 16th-18th Feb2015 in ASE,Coimbatore.
2013 – 2014
Mrs Mini Suijith, Mrs K.Deepa, Mrs V.S.Kirthika Devi ,Mrs Anjana Jain and Mrs R.Mahalakshmi attended Young researchers meet conducted byIEEE PES, Bangalore Chapter in Hotel Royal orchid, Bangalore on 6th December 2014.
Dr C.M.C Krishnan, Mrs K.Deepa, Mrs V.S.Kirthika Devi, Mrs Mamatha I, Mr Ilango K, Mrs Anjana Jain, Mrs Sreekala M, Mrs Sailaja V, Mrs Lekshmi S, Mrs Sudha Yadav, Mrs Sireesha K, Mr Shankar S, Mrs Syama S ,and Mrs R.Mahalakshmi attended a Two Week Main Workshop on “Control Systems” Under National Mission on Education through ICT,MHRD Govt. of India, in Amrita School of Engineering ,Bangalore from 2nd to 12th December 2014
Mrs Mini Sujith and Mrs Deepa K attended a “IEEE PES Bangalore Chapter Workshop on Women in Engineering” in Hotel Royal Orchid, Bangalore on 22nd November 2014.
Mrs Mamatha I,Mrs Sudha Yadav, Mrs K.Sireesha ,Mrs S.Syama and Mr Shankar S, attended a National Workshop on “Electronic System level Design and Verification ” conducted by Amrita School of Engineering ,Bangalore on 14th and 15th November,2014
Mrs V. S Kirthika Devi, Mrs Nithya M, Mrs Mamatha I,Mrs Sudha Yadav, Mrs K.Sireesha ,Mrs S.Syama attended a Workshop on “Embedded System Control for Power Electronic Applications” conducted by Amrita School of Engineering ,Bangalore on 10th ,11th November,2014
Mr Ilango.K attended a One Week Coordinators Workshop on “Control Systems” Conducted by IIT Kharagpur from 15th to 19th September 2014
- K Deepa, V S Kirthika Devi, Mamtha I, Nithya M, Sreekala M, V Sailaja, Anjana Jain, Lekshmi S, Sudha Yadav, K Sireesha, Lakshmi P, Manitha P V attended two week ISTE workshop on Signals & Systems organized by IIT Kharagpur from 2nd to 12th January, 2014. This workshop was held under the National Mission on Education through ICT(MHRD).
- Mini Sujith, K Deepa, V S Kirthika Devi, Sreekala M, Lekshmi S, SudhaYadav, KSireesha, Lakshmi P, Mahalakshmi D, Manitha P V attended two week ISTE workshop on Analog Electronics organized by IIT Kharagpur from 4th to 14th June, 2013. This workshop was held under the National Mission on Education through ICT(MHRD).
2012 – 2013
- Nithya.M attended TI India Educators Conference 2013 organized by Texas Instruments at NIMHANS convention Centre on 4 and 5 April 2013.
- Mamatha.I, SreekalaM attended a workshop on Trends and Developments in Signal Processing and Applications organized by Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore on 27 & 28 April 2013.
- Lakshmi.P attended a FDP on Low Power Embedded Systems Using MSP430 Micro Controller organized by JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bangalore on 4 &6 March 2013.
- Mamatha.I attended a workshop on Computer Architecture & High Performance Computing organized by Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore on 15 &16 March 2013.
- SreekalaM attended an International Symposium on Medical Electronics organized by BMSCE, Bangalore at BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore on 30th and 31th January 2013.
- Sreekala M, Sireesha.K attended an ISTE workshop on “Aakash for education” on 10th and 11th November 2012 organised by IIT,Bombay at Amrita School of Engineering,Bengaluru.
- Dr.Rashmi. M.R attended an FDP on HVDC Systems at PESIT, Bangalore on 06-07 Aug 2012.
2011 – 2012
- Dr. Rashmi. M. R, K.Deepa, V.S.Kirthika Devi, V.Sailaja, K.Ilango, M.Nithya, Sreekala Manmadhan,and P.Lakshmi attended a workshop on “Texas Instruments C2000 microcontrollers” on 13-14 March 2012 at Amrita School of Engineering ,Bangalore.
- Sreeja Kochuvila, Mamatha.I and Sreekala M attended a research seminar on “Computer vision for robotics” at Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 24-25 February 2012.
- Mamatha. I attended a training on Designing with Xilinx 7 series at Xilinx Technical Knowledge Summit 2011-12 on 08 Feb 2012.
- Sreekala Manmadhan, Mamatha. I and V.S. Kirthika Devi attended an ISTE Workshop organised by-IIT Bombay -National mission on education through ICT(MHRD) in Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 28 June-08 July 2011.
- Nithya. M attended a workshop on C2000 Microcontrollers by Texas Instruments India on 01-02 July2011 at PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
- K.Deepa attended a workshop on Hardware implementation of power electronics & drive at SRM University on 15-16 Sep 2011.
- V.S. Kirthika Devi, Deepa. K,Nithya. M,K. Ilango and S. Syama attended an ISTE workshop on Solar photovoltaics:Fundamentals, Technologies & Applications organised by IIT Bombay -National mission on education through ICT(MHRD) & National centre for photovoltaics research and education(MNRE)-in Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 12-22 Dec 2011.
- Mamatha. I attended a short term course on Advances in VLSI Signal Processing at IIT, Kharagpur on 21-25 Dec 2011.
- Sailaja. V,Sreeja Kochuvila,Sudha Yadav and Dr. Rashmi. M.R attended a FDP on Basic Electronics at Amrita School of Engineering,Ettimadai on 23-25 Dec 2011.
- Sreekala Manmadhan attended a National workshop on Sparse image & signal processing at Amrita School of Engineering, Ettimadai on 23-26 Dec 2011.
- K. Ilango attended an FDP on Wind Energy at Amrita School of Engineering, Ettimadai on 27-30 June 2011.
- K. Deepa, Sreekala M, Sudha Yadav attended a National Seminar on Trends & Development in sensors & Instrumentation at Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 08-09 April 2011.
- Mamatha. I attended a workshop on Mission 10X- Teaching & learning at WIPRO on 21 Oct 2010.
- K. Ilango attended an FDP on Power System management at Amrita School of Engineering , Ettimadai on 02 – 04 June 2010.
- K. Deepa attended an ISTE Workshop on Effective teaching/learning of computer programming by -IIT Bombay -National mission on education through ICT on 14 – 24 Dec 2009.
- Mini Sujith attended an International workshop on Advances in Electrical Electronics Engg at Amrita School of Engineering , Ettimadai, on 07 – 11 Dec 2009.
- M. Nithya attended an FDP on Design & Development of Embedded Systems using ARM organized by Centre for Advance studies, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore on 03 Sep 2009.
- Mamatha. I attended a workshop on Mission 10X- Teaching & learning at WIPRO on Mission 10X- Learning approach practitioner on 27 – 28 Aug 2009.
- Sreekala M attended a certificate course on Foundations of Image processing & pattern recognition organized by PESIT,Bangalore on 13 – 22 July 2009.
- K. Deepa attended an FDP on Labview & Applications on 13 – 19 June 2009 at NIT, Calicut
- K. Ilango attended a FDP on Facts & Custom power controllers for Quality Enhancement of Deregulated Power Systems at NIT, Calicut on 18 – 29 May 2009.
- Sudha Yadav attended a FDP on DELNET at Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 21 May 2009.
- Mamatha.I attended a Workshop on Mission 10X at PES School of Engineering, Bangalore on 18 – 22 May 2009.
- Mamatha.I attended a workshop on High Impact Teaching Skills at WIPRO on 18 – 19 May 2009.
- Mini Sujith attended a Winter School on Application of power electronics to non-conventional power generation systems at NITK, Surathkal on 03 – 07 March 2009.
- K. Ilango attended a workshop on Large scale integration of wind energy into the grid at CPRI, Bangalore on 02 – 04 Feb 2009.
- Mamatha. Iattended a workshop on Analog & Mixed mode design using cadence tool at BNM Institute & Cadence Design Systems(I) Pvt. Ltd on 02 – 04 Feb 2009.
- K. Ilango attended a AICTE/MHRD sponsored winter school on Renewable Energy Sources at NITTTR, Chandigarh on 02 – 06 Feb 2009.
- Sudha Yadav attended a Workshop(TEQIP at UVCE, Bangalore on Recent trends in Power Electronics on 25 – 26 Sep 2008.
- Mini Sujith attended an FDP on Recent trends in power transformers at R.V. College of Engineering on 11 -12 Aug 2008.
- K. Ilango attended an Intensive Training on Fundamentals of Electromagnetics at Amrita School of Engineering , Ettimadai on 11 – 21 Aug 2008.
- Sreekala Manmadhan attended a FDP on Embedded Systems & DSP at Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 30 June-04 July 2008.
- Sudha Yadav, Nithya. M attended a FDP on Electric circuit theory at Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 20 -22 May 2008.
- Nithya. M attended a FDP on Building Embedded Systems using RTOS at Centre for Advance studies, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore on 20 Feb 2008.
- Mini Sujith attended a FDP on PIC microcontroller design & its Applications at R.V. College of Engineering (Sponsored by AICTE) on 21 Jan-02 Feb 2008.
- Sudha Yadav attended a FDP on Object oriented programming with C++ at Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore on 10 – 14 Dec 2007.
DEPARTMENTAL FORUM ACTIVITIES
2016 – 2017
IEEE PELS organized a meeting to give a warm welcome to 2017 office bearers and for appreciating the selfless volunteering of 2016 IEEE PELS office bearers on 25th May at Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore Campus.
Dr. Navin Kumar, IEEE Student Branch Counselor and Associate Professor(ECE), Amrita School of Engineering gave a talk about IEEE society history and structure , qualifications for IEEE membership, member grade elevation procedure, various societies in IEEE and various student branch chapters active in Amrita School of Engineering. He emphasized the IEEE’s mission to Enhance Technology for humanity and the profession. The membership offers a platform to access to the industry’s most essential technical information, networking opportunities and professional growth.
He motivated the students to offer volunteering in student branch chapters and also to take part in as volunteers in IEEE Societies and communities. The talk was very inspiring and informative.
He appreciated the dedicated volunteering work offered by 2016 committee members and distributed a Certificate of appreciation to the volunteers.
The meeting concluded by vote of thanks by Mrs. Mini Sujith, IEEE PELS SBC adviser..
- On the third day of Eco Week, a talk on Renewable Energy Technologies in Power Generation was held by Prakriti, in collaboration with IEEE PELS. The talk was hosted by Mr. B. SatyaSripada (Year III, EEE), Vice Chair, IEEE PELS and Mr. Thirumal Reddy (Year II, ECE), Executive Member, Prakriti. Mr. Sripada spoke of the limited life of non-renewable resources and the urgency of transitioning to renewable resources for power generation. He spoke in detail of different sources of renewable energy such as Solar Energy, Wind Energy and Hydro Energy. Mr. Reddy continued the talk and spoke of Bio Energy and the consequences to humanity and the planet if renewable energy sources are not integrated to international power production.
2015 – 2016
- Interactive Session 'What’s GOING ON?'-Vidyuth (EEE Department Forum) and IEEE Student Branch (ASE-Bengaluru) jointly conducted an interesting, interactive session on 6th October 2016 on research topics having good future scope. It was a collaborated event with ECIF club in which Vidyuth concentrated on Hybrid vehicles and ECIF on Gadgets.It started with a small interesting video on hybrid vehicles construction and working to brief the students about Hybrid vehicles. Then the club executives Mr. Jayathertha and Ms. Gopika explained the present scenario in the practical world by putting forward the types of hybrid vehicles, advantages and dis-advantages, their manufacturing companies. This made the students more involved and understand the importance of hybrid vehicles.The session came to an end with discussion on the latest advancements and research going on in the field. The talk was attended by about 50 students. The session was a grand success which was visible from the students’ feedback about the session being more interactive and lively.
- ACTIVITIES OF IEEE STUDENT BRANCH CHAPTERS
Apart from this, following events were conducted under IEEE –PES & IAS Student Joint Chapter
- Technical Quiz 'Techathon'
An interesting technical quiz titled 'Techathon' was held on 4th of October, 2016 jointly by IEEE- WIE (student affinity group) and IEEE-PES & IAS, Student Branch Joint chapter of Amrita school of engineering, Bengaluru at 3:30pm in Rama Hall. It was conducted under the guidance of Dr.K.Deepa, IEEE-WIE-ASE and IEEE-PES-ASE mentor and was flawlessly executed by the IEEE student members.
The event saw a good participation from students of B.tech 1st, 2nd and 3rd years of different branches. Teams of 3 each were formed and the quiz was composed of sections with ascending level of difficulty. A perfect ambience for testing the team work and exchanging knowledge was created and everyone thoroughly enjoyed. Post the quiz, the participants were given an opportunity to pitch in ideas for events and workshops to be conducted in the near future, which received an amazing response.
- One Day hands-on workshop on “SOLAR 360: Electrical”
A one day workshop with hands-on session on "Solar 360 : Electrical" was conducted at Amrita School of Engineering (ASE) on 22nd October, 2016 from 10:00am to 5pm. The event was co-ordinated by Dr. K.Deepa, Convener, Assistant Professor, Dept. of EEE and was organized by IEEE Members.The workshop included a crowd of 40 IEEE members and 81 non-IEEE members. The workshop was conducted in 3 sessions.
The first session was taken up by Dr.Deepa, Assistant Professor, Dept. of EEE which included the introduction to solar energy and its utility in real life, also how the energy estimation is done.
The second session was taken by Mr.Ronaldo, alumni of ASE , Bengaluru and presently working in BOSCH as a hardware engineer. His session included the construction of solar panel and the parameters taken into consideration before its build-up.
The third session was the working on matlab and live demonstration of its interfacing with a solar panel. This also included the construction of buck-boost converter using matlab software.The sessions were really knowledgeable, authentic and useful. It helped in creating foresighted vision about the different aspects related to electrical field. It also enlightened the young minds to come up with unique ideas and implement it in real life.
- Energy Conservation Week (ENERGON) : ENERGON is an energy conservation week organized by the chapter from 24th-28th October 2016.This was to enlighten students about the importance of energy and its preservation. Following are the various events conducted under this banner.
- Circuitrix : Circuitrix is a basic electrical circuit analysis competition organized on 24th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. In this event students were given 10 circuits and were asked to debug or analyze them with in 1 hour. This event was to test the basic circuit knowledge of the students. Sixty students from all the departments attended this event.
- M.U.S.T.(Make your Statement) : M.U.S.T is a panel discussion conducted on 25th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. In this event, Dr.Debjyothi Sahu (A.P, ME Department), Mr. Ullhas. K (A.P, ME Department), Dr. Praveen Kumar (A.P, Physics Department) were the panelists. Dr.Debjythi Sahu spoke about energy policies in India, Mr. Ullhas.K discussed the energy conservation in solar perspective. Dr. Praveen concluded the discussion by explaining the Batteries in R.E.S. About 50 students from all departments attended this event.
- Pitch it up : Pitch it up is a student interactive event held on 26th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. In this event, students were given problems related to energy conservation faced in general life and were asked to come up with solutions. They were judged on the basis of effectiveness in presentation, analyzing the reasons for those problems and efficiency of their solutions. About 30 students from all the departments attended this event.
- S.U.P.(Save your power) : S.U.P is a talk on energy auditing organized in collaboration with Vidyuth, the student forum on 27th October 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm in Rama hall. Dr.Deepa.K (A.P, EEE Department) gave a lecture on energy auditing with the help of case study of energy consumption in Railway Bhavan and various ways of tapping natural resources. About 25 students from all departments attended this event.
- Eco Spark: Eco Spark is a technical exhibition held on 28th October 2016 from 2.30pm to 4.00pm at the new block entrance. Two projects were exhibited and demonstrated by students, one of them was on the P.V characteristics and the other was on Automatic Room Lighting Technique.ENERGON is focused on applying the theoretical knowledge to practice. As the student feedback on the various events conducted was positive, it is planned to conduct the events under this banner every year to benefit the future generations and to bring awareness on importance of energy saving.
- Technical Quiz 'Techathon'
- Technical Event "TECH-TAC-TOE" - Vidyuth, the departmental forum for Electrical and Electronics Engineering at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru organized an event titled ‘Tech-Tac-Toe’ on 26th September 2016 in Rama Hall from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM. ‘Tech-Tac-Toe’ is a semi technical event that is designed to test the technical as well as spontaneous skills of the participants.The event had three rounds where questions become more sophisticated as the participating team hop from one round to another. Round one was a quiz based round with technical and general questions (total of 7 minutes was given to solve the questions) followed by tech- tac-toe game with some complications in it. Final round was a time bounded technical round which involved thought-provoking electrical questions.The event witnessed a turnout of 37 teams with 2 members in each team making it a grand success.
- IEEE PES Student Branch Chapter of Amrita School of Engineering under the mentorship of Dr. K. Deepa, inaugurated on 10th August 2015, has been ranked 19th in the world ranking of “High performing Student Branch Chapter 2015” and 3rd in India, the chapter will receive $294 as award fund from IEEE Headquarters.
- “BRAINSTORM”- An Introduction to PES and IAS chapter was arranged by IEEE-PES and IAS joint student branch chapter, Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru on August 22nd, 2016 from 3.30pm to 4.30pm. The main aim of this session was to brief the importance of PES and IAS joint student chapter. The session was witnessed by the IEEE-PES and IAS joint student branch chapter members and all B.Tech and M.Tech students of Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru.
- Seminar on “IEEE Power Electronic Society(PELS)- An Insight”
IEEE Power Electronics Society Student Branch chapter of Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru, with the support and guidance of Chairman and faculty of EEE department conducted a seminar on “IEEE Power Electronic Society(PELS)- An Insight" on 11th August, 2016 at Amrita School of Engineering, Bengaluru. The talk was given by Mr. Nipin K. K. (2nd year M.Tech., PE), Ms. Sandra Joji (7th Sem B.Tech., EEE) and Mr. Sripada (5th Sem B.Tech., EEE). The PELS introductory talk was mainly aimed at the 1st, 2nd year B.Tech.(EEE) and 1st year M.Tech.(PE) students.
Mr. Sripada started his talk introducing IEEE and IEEE Power Electronic Society (IEEE-PELS) student branch chapter. He gave overview of the activities that will take place under IEEE and briefed about the importance of the PELS chapter. He also mentioned the activities conducted in the past under the chapter and also gave an idea about various events that are going to be conducted at Amrita School of Engineering under IEEE and IEEE-PELS Student Branch Chapter. He gave a brief outline on how to join IEEE and how students will be benefited by joining IEEE and IEEE-PELS.
Ms. Sandra Joji gave a concise explanation of how the subjects that B. Tech students are studying can be related to power electronics with few examples like choppers and their applications. She also mentioned about the various power electronic switching devices such as power diode, MOSFET etc. and how they can be used in power converters.
Mr. Nipin K. K. started his discourse explaining what is power electronics and later he discussed about the courses that M. Tech in Power Electronics deals with. While explaining the application of theory to practice, he mentioned how soft computing techniques such as fuzzy logic controller can be used to generate gating pulses to switch the power electronic devices. He concluded his session mentioning a few applications and scope of power electronics. He also motivated students to join IEEE and IEEE-PELS for networking with experts and to get updated with the present technology.
Inspired by the success of this event during last academic year, VIDYUTH took initiative to teach Basic Electrical Engineering concepts to the first year students. “Know Your Basics” is a one day teaching session of EEE-100 course. It was an interactive learning session where EEE seniors took the initiative of teaching the juniors. The event was coordinated and organized on 3rd March 2016 at 3:00 PM in Rama hall. We received a positive feedback from all the 20 students who attended these sessions
Industrial visit provides students a practical exposure to product design and development that happen in an industry. Under VIDYUTH forum an “Industrial Visit to Schneider Electric” for VI semester EEE students was organized. Group of 60 students along with faculties Ms.Syama S. and Ms. V. Sailaja, visited Schneider Electric in Electronic city on 3rd March 2016. The students were explained about a Solar Inverter in the Galaxy Series of Inverters. This is an inverter which would work only if it senses that the grid voltage is as rated and that there is no fault in the transmitted power or when there is sufficient amount of sunlight to produce a DC voltage within its operating range, else it remains dormant. When it is operating, it synchronizes its output with the grid frequency and feeds it. Overall, this was a highly informative industrial visit. Students learnt about the company as a global leader in its various fields of specialization, various safety practices gave a visual and practical insight into the various power electronic devices used in the assembled products and their testing.
- IEEE PES and IAS student branch chapter, amrita school of engineering, bengaluru organised a talk by Mr.Raghunandan n. v, from national instruments (an alumini amrita school of engineering) on the topic “iot in industries”
- The following events conducted in Amrita School of Engineering , Bengaluru were published in the annual report 2015 of IEEE Bangalore section
- Inauguration of IEEE Power Energy Society Student Chapter held on August 10,2015
- Seminar on “Power Quality” on September 1st , 2015
- A talk on “Impact of Greenhouse Effect and Carbon Foot print” held on September 9th ,2015
- Workshop on “Industrial Energy Auditing” held on September 19th 2015
- A talk on “ Future Battery Charging Infrastructure for Transportation Electrification” on October 5th ,2015
- IEEE WIE Symposium 2016 organized by IEEE India Council WIE-AG supported by Amrita School of Engineering Bengaluru on 7th and 8th November 2015 is published in the 2015 Annual report of IEEE Bangalore section
- A technical seminar on "Excitation controls-automatic voltage regulators" by arvind gupta, agm, ots-electrical, adani power ltd,ahmedabad conducted by ieee pes student branch chapter, at amrita school of engineering, bangalore on 20-01-2016 from 8.30am to 10am.
- IEEE-PELS distinguished lecture programme on “Hardware-in-the-loop systems with power electronics - a powerful simulation tool” by Dr. Ralph M Kennel, chair- electrical drives systems & power electronics, technical university, munich, germany at amrita school of engineering, amrita vishwa vidyapeetham, bengaluru campus on 20-01-2016.
- ELECSPIRE was an event organized by Vidyuth the departmental forum of EEE on 13th January 2016 at Rama hall from 3:30 PM to 4:20 PM. The event witnessed a crowd of about 50 participants. The event aimed at bringing the latest technology and the ideas from the field of Electrical Engineering to use and successfully deliver a taste of the real world examples to all the participants present.
IEEE Power Electronics Society student Branch chapter at Amrita School of Engineering organized a distinguished lecture program titled “is Chair and Professor for Electrical Drive Systems and Power Electronics at Technische Universitaet Muenchen (Germany).