- At the 88th IAPM KERALA CHAPTER CONFERENCE held during February 2022, postgraduates in the Department of Pathology, Amrita School of Medicine won the following accolades:
1. BEST PAPER
Dr. DEEPTHI S PILLAI – “Clinico-pathological correlation of glomerular mesangial C4d staining in IgA nephropathy”
2. BEST SLIDE SEMINAR CASE
Dr. ANJALI JOSE – ” Supratentorial ependymoma , YAP1 fusion positive”
3. BEST POSTER (CASE SERIES)
Dr. AISWARYA PRADEEP (Renal Fellow) – Medical Renal diseases in Elderly – The histopathological spectrum; a single instituitional experience of 10 years
4. ORIGINAL RESEARCH
Dr. KEERTHANA CHANDRAN – Maestro in dissonance: A ten year study of the pituitary pathology- An update
- Dr. Jyotsna A S, Postgraduate Resident in the Department of Pediatric Neurology, Amrita School of Medicine, won the Best Paper Award for her paper titled “PROFILE OF NEONATAL AND EARLY ONSET EPILEPSIES – Experiences from a tertiary epilepsy center” at Child Neurocon 2022,the 12th National Conference of Association of Child Neurology held at Ahmedabad during February 25- 27, 2022.
- Dr. Rosme David, Postgraduate Resident in the Department of Pharmacology, Amrita School of Medicine, won the Best Paper Award for her paper titled “ANALYSIS OF RADIO-CONTRAST INDUCED ADVERSE DRUG REACTIONS REPORTED TO THE REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER AT KOCHI – A RETROSPECTIVE STUDY” at ASPIRE 2022, the Virtual Pharmacology Conference held on February 26, 2022.
- During the 41st Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Nephrology Southern Chapter (ISNSCCON 2022) held during February 18 – 20, 2022, the Postgraduates at the Department of Nephrology, Amrita School of Medicine won prizes:
- Dr Aiswarya Pradeep (Fellow) – 3rd Prize – “Renal Amyloidosis – Clinicopathological correlation and outcome – a follow up study.”
- Dr Paul Joy (DM Trainee) – 1st Prize – “Effect of Intra-dialytic Exercise on Dialysis Efficacy in ESKD Patients on Hemodialysis at a Tertiary Care Centre.”
- Dr Akhil Rahman (DM Trainee) – 3rd Prize – “Malnutrition, Inflammation and Atherosclerosis in Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease patients.”
1. Dr Lakshmi Krishnan (DM Trainee) – 2nd Prize – “Prevalence and Outcome of Renal Dysfunction in Patients Admitted with COVID 19 Infection.”
- In the annual meeting of Society of Knee Surgeons of India (SKICON) held on December 05, 2020, Dr. Karthikchithartha, final year resident in the Department of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, won the Best Arthroplasty Paper Award for his paper titled “A long-term cross-sectional study with Modified Forgotten Joint Score to assess the perception of artificial joint after total knee arthroplasty.” He was guided by Dr. Jai Thilak, Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
This is the first study in literature to have a long-term analysis of the Modified Forgotten Joint Score in Total Knee Arthroplasty patients. This study identified the exact time after which the patient actually starts to forget the presence of artificial joint and the time period after which they begin to feel the prosthesis. This in turn helps to improve the surgical practice and counsel the patients regarding the same.
- Dr. Nageshwara Rao, final year postgraduate student, Department of Head & Neck & Plastic Surgery bagged the FHNO gold medal for the best paper in the National Conference of the Indian Head and Neck Society FHNO held in December 2020. This was based on the findings of a multinational (India, Italy, Israel) collaborative study to assess the influence of perineural invasion in the outcome of treatment of tongue cancers, which may have bearing on the future staging patterns.
- In the 49th Annual State Paediatric Conference ‘PEDICON‘ held during December 15 – 20, 2020 at Lake Palace Resort, Alappuzha, Dr. Anupa Achamma Thomas, final year post graduate resident in the Department of Paediatrics, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi won 1st prize for oral PG paper presentation and Rajaram Memorial Award for best paper in Social Paediatrics for her paper on “Sleep disorders among adolescent school children – A cross sectional study.” Congratulations to the winner and her guide, Dr. Vinitha Prasad, Clinical Professor, Department of Paediatrics.
- At the 85th IAPM Kerala Chapter Meet held during September 2020, the following postgraduates at the Department of Pathology, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi bagged awards:Dr. Amrutha (2018 batch MD Pathology) won the first prize in slide presentation on “Epithelioid Sarcoma of Inguinoscrotal.”
- Dr. Malavika (2019 batch MD Pathology) won the first prize in poster presentation on “Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorders.”
- Dr. Chothisha (2017 batch MD Pathology) won the first prize in paper presentation on “Mutant Specific Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Correlates in Lung Adenocarcinoma.”
- Dr. Aiswarya Pradeep and Dr. Nirosha Ratnakaran (2018 batch MD Pathology) won second prize in quiz competition
- Dr. Asha G. Pillai, DM Post Graduate in the Department of Neurology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, bagged the second best paper award in the Midterm Meet of Kerala Association of Neurologists (KAN) held during September 2020. Her paper was titled “Videofluroscopy Evaluation of Patients with Parkinsonism.” The award carriPost Graduate in the Department of Neurologyed a cash prize of Rs.12,500/- and certificate. The paper is the first Indian study looking at VFSS parameters in patients with Parkinsonism who were screened using a swallow disturbance questionnaire validated in Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and is named as AIMS-PD SDQ (Parkinson’s Disease Swallow Disturbance Questionnaire) with the combined efforts of the departments of Neurology, ENT and Head & Neck Surgery (Swallowing Clinic). This was also part of the research work done by Ms. Shivani Rajeev in Deglutology and Swallowing Disorders under the guidance of Dr. Sureshkumar, Professor, Department of Neurology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
- On the eve of International Women’s Day 2020, the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene (UK) published a newsletter featuring the research work of Dr. Lakshmi Jayasree Aravindan (postgraduate resident in the Department on Community Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences) on Lymphatic Filariasis.
- Dr. Latha S., PDCC Fellow in Renal Pathology, Department of Pathology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, won First Prize in workshop slide viewing session at the International Update on Renal & Transplantation Pathology (IURP 2020) held at New Delhi during February 14 – 16, 2020.
- Dr. Gopika Jith, 2nd year PG, Department of General Surgery, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, won the Gold Medal at the “Dr Thomas Panose Memorial KPSA Gold Medal Examination in Plastic Surgery 2020” for general surgery postgraduate trainees from all the medical colleges across Kerala. She also won the 2nd best paper award for her short paper presentation at the Peripheral Meet of the ASI Kerala chapter held at Poovar, Trivandrum during February 01-02, 2020.
- In the National meeting of International Federation of Head & Neck Oncologic Society (FHNO) held at Chennai during October 11 – 13, 2019, Dr. Khyati, postgraduate resident at the Department of Head and Neck Surgery won Gold Medal for her poster presentation on the topic – Sentinal node biopsy to stage contralateral neck in oral cavity tumours approaching or crossing the midline.
- In the Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) Kerala Midterm Conference held on October 13, 2019, at Kollam, the following postgraduates in the Department of Radiodiagnosis won awards:Paper PresentationFirst Prize – Dr. Joseph (Final Year PG) – Utility of ultrasound in response assessment in the setting of neo adjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer
- Second Prize – Dr. Anand (Final Year PG) – Role of MR perfusion in detecting local tumour recurrence in patients who have underwent definitive treatment for Head and Neck tumours Dr. Bharath (Final Year PG) – Role of MRI compared with arthroscopy in evaluation of patients with rotator cuff tears
- Third Prize – Dr. Cibi (Final Year PG) – Role of MRI in assessment of perianal fistula and its correlation with surgical findings
- Poster PresentationSecond Prize – Dr. Mehak (Second Year PG) – Non Breast Primaries Quiz
- Second Prize- Dr Bharath- Final Year PG
- At the 15th South Zone ENT Conference & 18th AOI Kerala State Annual Conference Organised by Association of Otolaryngologists of India, Thiruvananthapuram, held during October 11-13, 2019, the following postgraduates in the Department of ENT won awards:South Zone 1st Prize (Dr Dwarakanatha Reddy PG medal): Dr. Indu V. P. (Topic: Accuracy of flexible endoscopic evaluation of swallowing in assessment of aspiration risk in pediatric patients with swallowing disorders)
- South Zone 3rd Prize: Dr. Stellamol V. K. (Topic: Study on the accuracy of drug induced sleep endoscopy in detecting laryngeal involvement in obstructive sleep apnoea)
- Kerala State 1st Prize (Dr. P. R. Natarajan award): Dr. Ann Maria Polson (Topic: Role of lip biopsy in detecting chronic inflammatory salivary gland disorders-a pilot study)
- South zone ePoster 1st Prize (Dr. M. A. Gopalakrishnan medal): Dr. Amala Salil (Topic: In pursuit of a viable alternative to steroid in AFRS)
- At the 83rd IAPM (Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists) Kerala Chapter meeting held in Government Medical College, Kannur on September 28, 2019, the following postgraduate residents in the Department of Pathology won accolades:Dr.Amrutha Thomas (MD-II Year 2018 batch) – First Prize in Poster Presentation – A Rare Case of Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis
- Dr. Athulya R. (MD-III Year 2017 batch) – First Prize in Paper Presentation – Impact of Implementing the Paris System for Reporting Urine Cytology: An Institutional Experience
- Dr.Aditi Damle (FGIP Fellow)- First Prize in Poster Presentation- Extranodal Follicular Dendritic cell sarcoma – A rare entity in Pancreas
- At the 14th Annual Conference & International CME of Indian Society of Renal & Transplantation Pathology (ISRTP) held at SGPGIMS, Lucknow during October 11-13, 2019, Dr. Latha S., Renal Fellow at the Department of Pathology won the Second Prize in Poster Presentation for her poster titled ‘A Case of Familial Chronic kidney Disease- Histomorphological Clues for Diagnosis of Nephronophthisis.’
- Dr. Divya Ail, FGIP Fellow at the Department of Pathology won the First Prize in Poster Presentation for her poster titled ‘Clinical and Pathological Septrum Hepatoblastoma with emphasis on therapy-induced changes- A 9 year Study from a Tertiary care hospital’ in the Liver Pathology Update 2019 organised by Department of Pathology, Seth GS Medical & KEM Hospital, Mumbai during October 03-05, 2019.
- Dr. Naina, final-year postgraduate resident, Department of Anaesthesiology, won the third prize for her paper titled “Ease and safety of securing airway by railroading Proseal LMA over bougie versus digital technique” at the 43rd State Conference of ISA Kerala Chapter held at Thrissur during October 18-20, 2019.
- Dr. Lakshmi Aravindan, postgraduate student at the Department of Community Medicine was awarded Grant by the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, UK, for her study on “Lymphatic Filarial Patients in Cherthala, Kerala”.
- Dr. Krishna Mohan B., second-year M. Ch. Resident, Department of Urology, won the ‘Best Review Article’ award for the topic ‘Active Surveillance in Cancer Prostate’ at the 33rd Annual Conference of Urological Association of Kerala (UAKON) held from October 18-20, 2019, at Trivandrum.
- Dr. Ferzine, Pediatric Urology Fellow, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences bagged the best paper award for her paper presentation on ‘Is infant ureteric reimplantation justifiable?’ at the 7th Annual Pediatric Urology Conference & Live Workshop of SPU-IAPS held from June 14-16, 2019, at Hyderabad, Telangana.
- In the recently concluded 6th All Kerala Annual Conference of ISAR (Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction) held at Calicut during April 6 -7, 2019, MCh Residents of the Department of Reproductive Medicine at Amrita secured the following prizes.
- Dr.Sreeraj Nair (Fellow of Amrita Interventional Pulmonology unit, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences ) won 1st prize for scientific oral paper presentation (Diagnostic yield & complications of linear EBUS-TBNA) at the 24th Annual Conference of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology – Broncocon 2019 – held at Lucknow during February 08 – 10, 2019
- Dr. Akshatha, Fellow in Renal Pathology, Department of Pathology, Amrita School of Medicine, won the best oral paper award in histopatholgy/cytology category, titled – Cresentic glomerulonephritis in renal biopsies and its categorization – A one year study from tertiary care centre at the Forum of Practicing Pathologists (FOPP) Conference, Jaipur which was held during February 22 – 24, 2019.
- Dr. Shradha, final year PG student, Department of Pathology, Amrita School of Medicine, bagged the first prize for her paper presentation in the 82nd Kerala State IAPM meeting followed by the 10th National Conference held at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences from February 09 – 11, 2019. Her paper was titled Molecular Classification of Lower Grade Gliomas and its Prognostic Significance.
- Dr. Harigovind, MS Resident, Department of General Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, won the SECOND PLACE in the short paper presentation for his paper (“Assessment of cervical scar in conventional thyroidectomy and it’s impact on quality of life”) at the ASI Kerala Chapter Peripheral Conference held at Azeezia Medical College Kollam on 09th & 10thFebruary 2019.
- Dr. Athul Krishna, MS Resident, Department of General Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, won the THIRD PRIZE in the short paper presentation for his paper (“Microbiological profile of acute necrotising fasciitis and impact on outcome”) at ASICON 2018 national conference held at Chennai during December 26 – 30, 2018.
- Dr. Siva Sankar K., MS Resident, Department of General Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, won the FIRST PLACE in poster presentation “Long term experience with total pelvic exenteration and double barrel wet colostomy for locally advanced carcinoma rectum” at ASICON 2018 national conference held at Chennai during December 26 – 30, 2018.
- Dr. Parvathy T., Final year MCH PG in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine, received the Brig. R. K. Sharma – Best Poster Award for her poster presentation at FERTIVISION 2018, 14th Annual Congress of Indian Fertility Society, held at Le Meridian Kochi from December 14 to 16, 2018.
- In the 74th Annual Conference of the Association of Physicians of India (APICON 2019) held in Kochi during February 07 – 10, 2019, post graduates from the Department of General Medicine, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, presented papers and posters.
- Dr. Anisha Ashokan, second year MD Resident in Microbiology, School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, won the ‘Best Poster Award’ in the CME on “Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance” at Government Medical College, Palakkad, held on February 2, 2019.
- Dr. Ajitha Anurenj and Dr. Vidhu, final year postgraduate students of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Amrita School of Medicine, won first prize in the Gynaecology Oncology quiz competition conducted as a part of FOCUS – P.G. Training Programme in O&G 2018 at Jubilee Mission Hospital, Thrissur on September 27, 2018.
- In the recently concluded Academy of Clinical Microbiologists Conference held at Ernakulam Medical College on 4th August 2018, three postgraduates from the Department of Microbiology, Amrita School of Medicine won accolades.
- Dr. Anisha Asokan (2nd year MD Resident) won the 3rd prize for her oral paper presentation on “Antifungal activity of octenidine dihydrochloride and UV-C radiations against multi-drug resistant Candida auris”.
- Dr Sri Sruthy (3rd Year MD Resident) won the 3rd prize in poster presentation ” Diagnosing BCG lymphadenitis in an asplenic infant-A curious combination of GeneXpert positivity and MPT64 antigen negative isolate”
- Dr Kiran Subhash (1st year MD Resident) won the 3rd prize in poster presentation “First report of Vibrio cholerae non-01 non-0139 Vibrio cholerae sequence type 520 in a child with sepsis”.
- Dr. Cinzia Sreelakshmi Keechilot (2012 MBBS batch) has won the ICMR-CNMC STS EXCELLENCE AWARD 2017. Her study was selected from 1030 STS studies conducted in 2015. She had participated in STS program : 2015 (STS reference ID : 2015-01331). Her topic of research was “Detection of occult hepatitis B and window period infection among blood donors by individual donation nucleic acid testing in a tertiary care center in South India”. The study was conducted in collaboration with the departments of Transfusion Medicine, Microbiology and Molecular Biology at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi. This is one of the few studies from India where nucleic acid amplification testing was used for identifying occult hepatitis B and window period infection among blood donors. It is the first study from the state of Kerala. The study was published in Pathogens and Global Health 2016 , 110(7-8):287-291 Result- ICMR-CNMC STS Award 2017
- Ms. Divya Saikumar, MBBS 2015 student, Amrita School of Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, secured 4th position in Prof. Ramachandran Memorial Gold Medal Examination 2018 in subject of Pathology. The examination was conducted by the Kerala chapter of the Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists for MBBS students in the State.
- Dr. Chotisha and Dr. Menila Daniel, second-year MD Pathology residents, Amrita School of Medicine won prizes in the poster presentation session conducted at the Oncopathology CME at Rajagiri Hospital on May 19, 2018. Dr. Chotisha received first prize for her poster titled – To get the most with the least invasive – and Dr. Menila received second prize for her poster titled – Targeting Her-2 in micropapillary carcinoma in urinary bladder.
- DM thesis of Amrita’s former DM Pediatric Cardiology student, Dr. Ritchie Sharon Solomon, has been published in Indian Pediatrics (May 2018 issue) as a research paper. The paper is titled – Early Neurodevelopmental Outcomes After Corrective Cardiac Surgery In Infants. Indian Pediatrics is the official journal of the Indian Academy of Paediatrics and it has wide circulation all over India.
- Dr Ramesh P., MCh Resident, Department of Reproductive Medicine and Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine, got the Second Prize in the All India QUIZ Competition on Reproductive Medicine conducted by ISAR (Indian Society For Assisted Reproduction), for infertility specialists less than 40 years, held on April 21, 2018 at Science City Kolkata, during the 23rd Annual Conference of ISAR.
- Dr. Muthiah Subramanian, Final year DM Cardiology resident, Department of Cardiology, Amrita School of Medicine, won the best paper award in the Annual Conference of the Kerala Heart Rhythm Society held in Kochi on 8th April 2018. Dr. Muthiah has won the award for the best free paper for 3 years in a row, a first in the history of this conference. His work on risk stratification based on ECG and exercise testing in Brugada Syndrome was awarded in 2016 and 2017. In the 2018 conference, he presented his work on the value of an ECG based scoring system in the prognostication of patients with stress cardiomyopathy.
- In the ISAR (Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction) Kerala chapter annual conference held at Trivandrum from March 17-18, 2018, the MCh students of the Department of Reproductive Medicine and Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine performed well and won the following prizes.
1. The team comprising of Dr. Parvathy T. (2nd year MCh Resident) and Dr. Ramesh P. (1st year MCh Resident) won the first prize in the Quiz Competition.
2. Dr. Parvathy T. won the third prize for her paper “Heterotopic Pregnancy” in the Free Paper Presentation category
- Dr. Hareesh Chandran, 2nd year postgraduate resident from the Department of Pathology won the first prize at the slide seminar on Paediatric Pathology held at the 80th IAPM Kerala Chapter meeting held in Thiruvananthapuram on 10th February 2018. His paper was titled “Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma”.
- Ms. Laghima V. N. (2013 batch MBBS student, Amrita School of Medicine), along with Dr. Shobha George ( Assistant Professor, Community Medicine) and Ms. Nimitha Paul (Lecturer, Biostatistics – Community Medicine Department) has published original research article in National Journal of Research in Community Medicine Oct – Dec 2017 issue.
Title of the article is “Study on Lifestyle Risk Factors in School Children and its Relationship to their Mothers”.
- Dr. Ram Gautham, second-year postgraduate resident at the Department of Orthopaedics, School of Medicine, won the Prof. K.C. Jacob Gold Medal for the Best Postgraduate Paper at the recently conducted Kerala Orthopaedic Association Conference held at Kannur from the 26th-28th of January 2018. His paper was titled “Growth Modulation using Tension Band Plates in Angular Deformities Around the Knee: Intervention according to etiology in idiopathic and pathological physes”
- Students from the Department of Emergency Medicine at Amrita School of Medicine, Kochi, secured first prize in the quiz competition at the Kerala State Chapter Level Emergency Medicine Conference, ‘EM Kerala 2018’, an academic fest organized by the Emergency Medicine Association.
- In the recently concluded AOI Mid-Term National Conference held at Mangalore during December 01 – 03, 2017, Dr. Chithra Ramachandran, 2nd year postgraduate resident, Department of ENT, School of Medicine won the best poster presentation for her poster -Unusual cases of stridor in infants. She won the prize in a tough competition of 50 entrees.
- In the recently concluded 15th Annual Conference of Diabetic Foot Society Of India (DFSI) at Chennai during December 08 – 10, 2017, Dr. Priyatham Kamath, Fellow, Department of Podiatric Surgery, School of Medicine won the award for the best oral presentation for his paper – Long term survival and physical activity following major lower limb amputation in diabetic patients.
- At the recently held Robotic Surgeons Council 2017 at Goa on November 19, 2017, Dr. Reshu Agarwal, fellow at the Department of Gynaecologic Oncology, School of Medicine won the Krishnaswamy Subrahmaniam Memorial Video Award for her video presentation titled “Atypical pathways in sentinel node mapping for endometrial cancer”. The Department of Gynaecologic Oncology has been doing pioneering research on robotic-assisted sentinel node mapping since 2015, and has received many awards for the same.
- Dr. Akhshitha Reddy and Dr. Gayathri S., final year postgraduate students of the Department of Paediatrics, Amrita School of Medicine have won the 1st & 2nd prize respectively, for the post graduates research paper presentation among the 25 medical colleges, at the 31st South Zone PEDICON 2017 and 46th Kerala State PEDICON 2017, held at Kollam on 4th and 5th November 2017. The topics were “Serum Procalcitonin levels in children with sepsis admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit” and ” Risk factors and outcome of acute kidney injury in children admitted to pediatric intensive care unit”.
- Dr. Ram Gautam, second-year postgraduate resident in Orthopaedics, School of Medicine won the best paper award in the Cochin International Orthopaedic Summit conference held during October 06 – 08, 2017. His paper was titled : Is the Microbiology of Prosthetic Joint Infections different from the Western World ?
- At the international conference, Fetocon 2017, jointly organised in association with FETAL HEART, under the aegis of the Amrita Centre of Excellence in Fetal Care held during November 17-19, 2017, Dr. Sindhu Praveen, third-year postgraduate resident in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Medicine received the award for the best paper for her study titled – ‘Sequential changes in Uterine Artery Doppler between first and second trimester in relation to pregnancy outcome’.
- Two of Community Medicine postgraduates at Amrita School of Medicine won the Best Paper Awards at the recently concluded ‘THRICON 17 – National Conference of the Kerala University of Health Sciences’ held at Thrissur during October 26 – 27, 2017. Dr. Harsha Lais (1st year postgraduate) won the best paper award for her presentation on “Immunisation coverage among children in 12-23 months in Vypeen block, Ernakulam District” and Dr. Arjun Babu (2nd year postgraduate) won the award for his presentation on ”Prevalence of second hand smoke exposure among higher secondary school students in Ernakulam district, Kerala”.
- Dr Ramesh P., MCh Resident, Department of Reproductive Medicine and Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine got the first prize in the ALL KERALA ISAR (Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction) QUIZ competition held on September 24, 2017 at Kochi.
- The National Conference of the Endocrine Society of India (ESICON-2017) was conducted at Kovalam from 13th to 15th October, 2017. The first prize in the best oral presentation category was bagged by Dr. Shiga (Final year DM Endocrinology) for her paper Differentiated thyroid cancer in adults: a study of clinicopathological characteristics, risk categories and response to therapy at a single center. Dr. Geetha Lakshmi (Final year DM Endocrinology) won 2 prizes in the poster presentation category. She won second prize in the thyroid section for her poster Papillary thyroid cancer with tall cell histology: Prevalence, clinicopathologocal characteristics, comparison with classical PTC and short term outcome and also third prize in the diabetes section for her poster Prevalence of MODY associated mutations in patients with young onset diabetes and significant family history.
- In the 17th National Conference of the Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology held at Mumbai during 15 – 17 September 2017, Dr. Narayana R. (Final year MCh Resident, Head & Neck Surgery and Oncology) bagged the best oral presentation award for his paper – FDG non avid pulmonary module in head and neck cancer : which are significant ? – and Dr. Samskruti P. Murthy (Final year MCh Resident, Head & Neck Surgery and Oncology) bagged the best publication award for her paper – Deep extrinsic muscle involvement is a fallacy in American Joint Committee on Cancer’s seventh edition of tumor staging of oral cavity cancer.
The 2014 batch MBBS students of Amrita School of Medicine secured second position in South Zone Inter College Dance Fest held at CMC Vellore during July 12 – 14, 2017. The participants were Reshma Rajeev, Achanya Shankar, Jayaprabha Jayakumar, Aiswarya Sajeevan, Aswathy Jayaprasad, Niranjana S. Pillai and Sai Niranjana.
- At the “Decoding breast cancer – A recap of the Milan Breast Cancer Conference”, held at Pune from 18th to 20th August 2017, Dr. Reshu Agarwal Sreevastava, fellow in Gynaecological Oncology, was awarded the Best Poster Award with a cash price Rs. 25,000 for the poster “Feasibility of sentinel lymph node detection in breast cancer using intra operative dual mapping in low resource setting – an interim analysis of a pilot study“.
- Dr. Vishnu Dev, DM Nephrology Resident, Department of Nephrology bagged the first prize for the best free paper for his presentation titled – Simultaneous pancreas kidney transplantation -our experience at Amrita Hospital – in the recently concluded Annual State Conference of Nephrology Association of Kerala (NAK) held at trivandrum.
- Dr. Sindhu, Final Year PG Resident, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, won the Best Paper Award for her paper titled “SEQUENTIAL CHANGES IN UTERINE ARTERY DOPPLER AND ITS PREGNANCY OUTCOMES” at SOUTH ZONE YUVA FOGSI Conference held during July 21 – 23, 2017.
- Dr. Shalin Shah, second-year DM Neurology resident, Department of Neurology won the best paper award for his presentation “Usefulness of a modified questionnaire as a screening tool for swallowing disorders in parkinson disease” at the state conference of Kairaly Neurosciences Society, Neurological Society of India, Kerala Chapter held during April 08-09, 2017 at Thiruvananthapuram.The paper was mentored by Dr. Suresh Kumar, Clinical Professor, Department of Neurologyand Dr. Unnikrishnan Menon, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of ENT, School of Medicine.
- The following Post Graduates of Department of Pathology received Awards at the uropathology conference held at CMC, Vellore during February 03 – 04, 2017.
- Dr Gitwa Vatsaraj won first prize in poster presentation on – “Adenocarcinoma bladder- a case series”.
- Dr Deepty Sarah Alex won second prize in poster presentation on -“Glomus tumor of kidney- A rare case”.
- The Post Graduates of Department of Internal Medicine received Awards at the National Conference – APICON 2017, held in Mumbai from January 26th to 29th2017.
- Dr. Deepak Venugopalan won first prize for his poster titled “The Villain hides in plain sight” on Chronic Iron Deficiency Anaemia causing secondary thrombocytosis in turn causing arterial and venous thrombosis.
- Dr. Pooja Krishnappa won second prize for her poster titled “Pulmonary hypertension in light chain myeloma – An uncommon association”.
- Dr. Arun Sachu (Final year MD Resident) of Department of Microbiology won the first prize for an oral presentation in the CME on “Emerging infections in Clinical Practice Challenges & Management” organised by ACM and Department of Microbiology, Believers Church Medical College ,Thiruvalla on February 25, 2017.
His topic was “Simple low cost differentiation of Candida auris from Candida haemulonii complex using CHROM agar Candida medium supplemented with Pal’s medium”. He was guided by Dr. Anil Kumar, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology.
- Dr. Sreeraj R. Nair (2nd year MD Resident) won the third prize for best poster presentation “THE PATH LESS TRAVELLED” in the recently concluded 22nd National Conference of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology “BRONCOCON – 2017”, held at Christian Medical College, Vellore, during March 02-04, 2017. The poster was co-authored by Dr. Arvind Perathur, Dr. Asmita Mehta, Dr. Pallavi (Department of Pathology) and Dr. P.T. James.
- Dr. Prasanth A. S, PG resident, Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine received the Best Oral Presentation award out of more than 70 contestants, during the Annual National Conference of the Association of Clinical Biochemists, India conducted jointly by Kasturba Medical College,Mangalore during December 12 – 15, 2016 . His paper was titled – Cerebrospinal Hyaluronan levels in Neurofibromatosis Type 2.
- Dr. Annu Susan George, final year DM Resident in Medical Oncology has been awarded the first prize in the poster presentation (Neurooncology section)for her poster titled – Outcomes of treatment of Glioblastoma multiforme : A single institution experience from South India – at the recently concluded ESMO ASIA 2016 held at Singapore. Her poster was selected from over many hundreds of posters submitted from across the world.
- At the recently conducted 68th Annual Conference of the Cardiological Society of India during Dec 08 – 11, 2016 at Le Meridien Hotel Kochi, 3 post graduate students of Department of Cardiology bagged top honours in the E poster session. Out of 300 contestants, Dr. Gurpreet, Dr. Muthiah and Dr. Aniket Vijay got first prizes in their respective sessions. Dr. Gurpreet Singh’s paper was titled “Follow up study of the advantages of combining the Dor procedure with CABG in patients with severely compromised LV systolic function”. Dr. Aniket Vijay’s paper was on the “Role of late Gadolinum enhancement by MRI in diagnosing various myocardial disorders”. Dr. Gurpreet and Dr. Aniket were guided in their study by Dr. Rajesh Thachathodyl, Professor of Cardiology. Dr. Muthiah’s paper was on “Predictors determining response to biventricular pacing in an Indian context”. He was guided by Dr. Harikrishnan, Professor of Cardiology.
- Dr. Karthik Are, 2nd Year MS Resident, General Surgery has won the Best Research Paper Award for his paper titled ” Pattern of Lymph Node Metastases in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma ” in the RESEARCH HOUR at 59th ANNUAL IMA STATE CONFERENCE – 2016, held at Kochi on November 13, 2016.
- Dr. Aswin P., Final Year DM Resident in Endocrinology has won the second best poster prize in “Reproductive and Pediatric Endocrinology” category in ESICON 2016, the Annual conference of the Endocrine Society of India held at New Delhi duringOctober 2016 for his poster titled “Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Hyperandrogenism-Insights from a South Indian Cohort.“
- Mr. Aaditya R (2012 batch MBBS) and Mr. Vishnu Karthik (2013 batch MBBS) of School of Medicine have secured first position in Dr. K K Rahulan Memorial All Kerala Inter Medical Quiz Competition – 2016 held at Kozhikode Government Medical College on 20th Oct 2016. This quiz programme is conducted annually by the IMA Kerala Chapter. This year 18 teams participated in the quiz programme.
- In the recently concluded National Head and Neck Society meeting (FHNO- IFHNOS combined meeting) in Delhi the Department of Head and Neck Oncology, School of Medicine marked its presence well. Dr. Narayana Raju Subramaniam, second-year MCh resident. was awarded the gold medal for best video presentation. His presentation was titled “Massetric nerve transfer for facial reanimation”. Dr. Samskruthi P. Murthy, second-year MCh resident, bagged the silver medal for the podium presentation (selected from over 400 submissions). Her paper was titled “Extrinsic muscle involvement , a fallacy of current T staging system”. Dr. Adharsh A. and Dr. Limbachiya Shashikant Vishnubhai, third-year MCh residents, were awarded FHNO travel fellowships.
- The 12th Indo-US World Congress of Emergency Medicine was held in Bengaluru during October 20-23, 2016, conducted by St.John’s Medical College. Dr. Arun Kumar K., final-year resident, Emergency Medicine, presented a research poster titled “Electrocardiogram guided technique- Can it replace conventional X-ray in confirming Central Venous Catheter placement?” and received award for the ‘Best Research Poster’.
- In the recently concluded south Indian Pulmonary Medicine conference conducted by the Academy of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine (APPCM -South Zone Chapter), Dr. Tinku Joseph, final year DM trainee, Department of Pulmonary Medicine won second prize in scientific paper presentation titled “A Case Presentation on Blastomycosis”.
- In the 7th ALL KERALA NEURO QUIZ 2016 organized by Kerala Association of Neurologists on 2nd October 2016 at Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur, the following MBBS students from Amrita School of Medicine won the FIRST prize.
||Name of the students
||Ms. Maya Suresh Kumar
||Mr. Jishnu Narayanan Nair
- Dr. Paul K. Vincent 2nd year DM resident of Gastroenterology won second prize in poster presentation for his poster titled “Comparison of safety profile of ERCP in patients with Cirrhotic and Non-Cirrhotic Portal Hypertension” at the midterm ISGKON Kerala Chapter meeting held at Kollam on October 02, 2016.
- The following MBBS students from Amrita School of Medicine received short-term scholarship by Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi under the guidance of faculty members.
||Name of the students
||Name of the guides
||Ms. Arya Nair S
||Dr. Anil Radhakrishnan, Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology
||Ms. Cinzia Sreelakshmi Keechilot
||Dr. Veena Shenoy, Assistant Professor, Pathology
||Ms. Laghima V. N
||Dr. Sobha George, Assistant Professor, Community Medicine
||Ms. Maya Suresh Kumar
||Dr. K. Pavithran, Professor & HOD, Medical Oncology
||Ms. Vyshnavi Upendran
||Dr. Georgie Mathew, Professor, Urology
- Dr. Annu Susan George, final-year DM Resident in Medical Oncology won first prize for poster presentation in ‘The case report section’ in the ” Myeloma – State of the Art 2016″ Conference held from 30th September – 1st October 2016 at PGIMER, Chandigarh. Her poster was selected from over 25 posters which were shortlisted from scores of papers submitted from all the major hemato-oncology institutes in the country. A total of 4 posters were selected for the final round.
- The undergraduate and postgraduate students at Amrita School of Medicine won best paper awards in the 39th Annual Anatomy Conference of the Tamil Nadu State and International Conference in Anatomy at Sree Balaji Medical College, Chromepet , Chennai on 23rd, 24th & 25th September 2016.Posters presentations – PG category1st Prize: Dr.Uma Pandalai:
Paper titled: “ Radiological Study of Prevalence of Bovine Aortic Arch in Humans and its Clinical Implications” Uma Pandalai, Minnie Pillay,Sreekanth Moorthy,Tintu.T.S, M.GopalanPoster presentations – UG Category1st Prize: Abhilash .S.Nair: 2nd year MBBS student
Paper titled: “ Study of Incidence of Interparietal Bones in Adult Skull” Abhilash .S.Nair Susan Joseph, Asha.J.Mathew,M.Gopalan3rd Prize: Aswitha: 2nd year MBBS student
Paper titled: “Utility of 3D Printed Criss Cross Heart Model for Pre-surgical Planning”
Aswitha, K. Mahesh, M.Gopalan Oral Presentations – UG Category 1st Prize: Ashna Nizar: 2nd year MBBS student: Category- Embryology
Paper titled: “Anatomy of CCTGA , VSD with Absent Pulmonary Artery”
Ashna Nizar, K Mahesh, M.Gopalan2nd Prize: Bharath Shivan: 2nd year MBBS student: Category Embryology
Paper titled: “DORV with VSD and Pulmonary Stenosis- A Surgical Challenge”
Bharath Shivan,K Mahesh, M.Gopalan1st Prize: Divya Saikumar: 2nd year MBBS student: Category- Gross Anatomy
Paper titled: “Measurement of normal choroidal thickness in Indian eyes using Optical Coherence Tomography” Divya Saikumar, Asha J. Mathew,.M.Gopalan2nd prize: Sucharita Duttagupta: 2nd year MBBS student -Category- Osteology
Paper titled: “Atlantooccipital Fusion-It’s Occurrence and Embryological Basis”
Sucharita Duttagupta, M.Gopalan3rd Prize: Sruthi Suresh: 3rd Year MBBS student – Category- Osteology
Paper titled “Morphometric Study of the Bony Orbit” Sruthi Suresh , Biju Urumese Palatty, Geetha S G 1st Prize: Rohan Vaidya: 2nd year BDS student -Category- Clinical anatomy
Paper titled “Morphographic study of the Stylomastoid foramen”
Rohan Vaidya, Geetha S G, Asha J Mathew1st Prize: Shanmugapriya.G: 2nd year BDS student -Category- Clinical anatomy
Paper titled “Morphometric Study of the Hard Palate and Localization of Greater
Palatine Foramen” Shanmugapriya.G ,Geetha S G, Asha J .Mathew2nd Prize: Kanika Sunil. K: 2nd year BDS student -Category- Osteology
Paper titled “ Morphometric Analysis of Foramen Ovale” Kanika Sunil. K,
Geetha S G, Minnie Pillay 3rd prize: Tripurarchana.R – 2nd year BDS student -Category -Osteology
Paper titled “Morphometric Analysis of Foramen Magnum” Tripurarchana.R ,
Geetha S G, Rathi Sudhakaran.
- Dr. Arun Sachu, MD Resident of Department of Microbiology, won the 2nd prize for his oral presentation titled “Characterization of blood stream isolates of Ralstonia mannitolilytica during an outbreak, using random amplification of polymorphic DNA typing” at the recently concluded CME of Academy of Clinical Microbiologist, organised by Department of Microbiology, Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur during July 08, 2016. The study was done in collaboration with Amrita Center for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine.
- Dr. Vineeth Sudhindran, Final Year Resident, General Surgery won the third prize for individual quiz competetion held at the Vascular Surgeons of India Midterm Meet held at Trivandrum during July 02-03, 2016. Dr. Vineeth Sudhindran and Dr. Sreedutt Murali also won second prize in the quiz competition conducted for MS Residents at the conference.
- Dr. Akta Trivedi, second-year postgraduate, DM Neurology won the second best poster at ICTRIMS 2016, the national sub-speciality conference on multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating illnesses, held at Mangalore, Karnataka during June 04 – 05, 2016 under the aegis of Indian Academy of Neurology and NITTE University.
- Dr. Akshay Omkumar, second-year MCh resident in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, won the first prize in the Prof. R. N. Sinha Memorial Essay Competition 2015 for the topic “Toe transfer v/s allotransplantation in bilateral amputees at below elbow level”. Dr. Akshay received the award at the Kerala Plastic Surgery State Conference held at Trivandrum on April 23, 2016.
- The free paper presented by Dr. Muthiah Subramanian, first year DM Cardiology student, School of Medicine, titled “A NOVEL RISK PREDICTION SCORE IN PATIENTS WITH BRUGADA SYNDROME” ( a condition which causes sudden cardiac death in patients at higher risk). He was awarded the best paper in the recently held 6th Annual Conference of the Kerala Heart Rhythm Society at Trivandrum.
This risk prediction score based on clinical and ECG parameters has not been described so far. The study was assisted by Dr. Mukund Prabhu, Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
- In the recently held 1st American College of Physicians (ACP) India Chapter Congress – Medicine 2016 in Mumbai, Dr. Rithesh Reddy Gundam, second-year postgraduate resident in the Department of General Medicine, Amrita School of Medicine won first prize for his poster presentation – “A case of young male with hurting legs – PAN with Isolated calf myositis presentation- progressed to Systemic PAN.” on April 01 – 03, 2016.
- Dr. Liju George, second-year MD Resident, Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine received first prize for her poster titled “Evaluation of Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Versus Smear Microscopy and Liquid Culture in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Kochi, Kerala” at the CME organised by Department of Microbiology, Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram & Academy of Clinical Microbiologist on February 27, 2016. She was guided by Dr. Sadia Khan, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine.
- In the recently concluded 76th IAPM (Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists) Kerala chapter meeting held on February 13, 2016 at Trivandrum Medical College, two out of the three prizes for the case & poster presentations were bagged by postgraduate students at the Department of Pathology, School of Medicine.A total of 18 cases from different medical colleges were presented in the slide seminar on Head & Neck Lesions.
The Best Poster Award was bagged by Dr. Athulya Sadeesh, second-year MD resident, for the poster titled “Sarcoidosis – Renal Manifestation.”
Dr Krishna, final year DCP student, bagged “Best Case Presentation Award” for the excellent presententation on “Phosphaturic mesenchymal Tumor of the maxilla.”
- Dr. Neena Baby, Fellow in Pediatric Neurology, won the best paper award for her paper titled “Efficacy, tolerability and seizure outcome of ketogenic diet in 74 children with Pharmacoresistant Epilepsy ” in the 17th Joint Annual Conference of Indian Epilepsy Association and Indian Epilepsy Society held at Visakhapatnam during February 12 – 14, 2016. Her work was guided by Dr. Vinayan K.P., Professor, Department of Neurology.
- Best Poster Award at the Kerala Orthopaedics Association Conference (KOACON 2016)Dr. Suranjana R., final-year postgraduate resident in Orthopaedics has won the best poster award at the recently held KOACON –2016 organized by Kerala Orthopaedic Association (KOA). The poster was titled ‘Unusual case of compressive myelopathy.’ She was guided by Dr. Krishnakumar R., Consultant Spine Surgeon and Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
“This year there were 50 posters competing for the award, out of which 10 posters entered the final round,” said Dr. Suranjana. “Our poster described a rare case of thoracic compressive myelopathy (a condition where the spinal cord gets compressed) in a 15-year-old boy. He had difficulty in walking for the past 6 months and needed support to walk. We investigated the patient and found to have a bone tumour arising from the vertebra severely compressing the spinal cord.
It was successfully operated and was found to be osteochondroma; a benign bone tumour. The details of investigations and surgical steps were highlighted during the poster presentation and there was a good appreciation from the panel judges and members.”
Dr. Krishnakumar, who guided Dr. Suranjana added: “When the boy came to me, he could hardly stand up. His spinal cord was significantly compressed by the tumour; which required microsurgical approach, use of high speed burr and careful removal of the tumour under neuromonitoring. Osteochondroma is a common benign bone tumour seen in children, but to have such a tumour inside the spinal canal was uncommon. So here, we had a common tumour in an uncommon area causing significant problem. Patient made a progressive recovery and is now walking well.” He continued : “We are happy to see our postgraduates performing well at various conferences. Such awards do play a significant role in motivating junior postgraduate residents as well.”
- Dr. Kshitij Bansal, Fellow in Pediatric Neurology won the 2nd best paper award in the recently concluded International Conference on Child Neurology in Chennai during January 22 – 24, 2016 for his paper titled ” Developmental Delay, Epilepsy, Neonatal Diabetes( DEND) Syndrome – a rare epileptic encephalopathy“.
- In the recently concluded Amrita Breast Cancer Comprehensive Teaching Program at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, on January 09, 2016, second-year MD Pathology student, Dr. Athulya Sadeesh, won the Best Poster Award for her poster titled “ORPHAN “ED IN THE BREAST – A case of Occult metastasis from Papillary thyroid Carcinoma”. This work was done under the guidance of Professors, Dr. Indu R. N. and Dr. Annie Jojo.
- In the recently concluded Golden Jubilee National Meeting of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSICON 2015) in Mumbai, Dr. Raghuveer Reddy, MCh Fellow, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, secured the APSI Goa Research Award for his paper titled: A prospective comparative study of survival of fat grafts with or without external volume expansion in a murine model.
- Dr. Vikrant V. Vijan, Fellow in Interventional Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, received the 2nd Best Poster Award at ACCEL(American College Of Cardiology Extended Learning) held at Muscat, Oman, in December 2015. His Case Report “An Unusual Case of Biatrial Myxoma in a Young Female” is accepted and would be published in the January edition of Case Reports in Cardiology journal. Also two of his abstracts are selected for presentation in the prestigious CRT Conference to be held in Washington DC in February 2016. Dr. Rajesh Thachathodiyl, Professor, Department of Cardiology, guided Dr.Vikrant in this original research work.
- In the recently held First International Symposium in Hospital Medicine at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences jointly organised with Mayo Clinic, USA during December 04 – 06, 2015, Dr. Ajith V., final-year MD Resident, Department of Emergency Medicine won the BEST RESEARCH PAPER award for his paper titled – Pharmacovigilance in Anti Snake Venom related Adverse Drug Reaction Assessment. He was guided by Dr. Gireesh Kumar K. P., Professor and Head, Department of Emergency Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
In the recently held 25th National Conference of Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology (IASG) at Pune during October 02 – 05, 2015, final-year postgraduate residents in the Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine won awards.
Dr. Prakash K. won the best video award on Robotic Whipple’s Resection and Dr. Amol Kanetkar won the best poster award for his poster titled “Pre-operative nutritional status on outcomes of adult liver transplant recipients.”
- The following MBBS students won the Dr. Leela Krishnamurthi Best Paper Awards ( total 5 ) in PRIMS ANATCON 2015 (38th Annual Conference of Association of Anatomists, Tamil Nadu) held at Ponnaiyah Ramanujam Institute of Medical Sciences, Manamai, Nallur Road, ECR,Chennai during October 10 -11, 2015.
- “Luminal Plastination of Male Urethra” by Bharath Pillai (MBBS 2013 batch) & Gopalan M.
- “Cheloscopy – Study of Lip print for Personal identification” by Priyadarsini T. (MBBS 2012 batch), Remya S. & Gopalan M.
- “Analysis of a case of Aberrant Right Subclavian artery with a retro-tracheal course by Sreelakshmi (MBBS 2014 batch), Tintu T.S., Minnie Pillay, Asha G. & b
- “Variations in the morphology of the Lungs & its clinical implications” by Vaibhav Venniyoor (MBBS 2014 batch), Suja Mary Jacob, Minnie Pillay, Gopalan M.
- “Study of the Relationship between Height and Femoral / Humeral length” by Sriram Rajagopal ( MBBS 2014 batch), Niranjana Rajesh (MBBS 2013 batch) & Gopalan M.
- Dr. Keerthy G. Nambiar, final-year postgraduate resident in Dermatology, School of Medicine has won the Torrent Young Scholar Award (TYSA) for dermatologists 2015. She secured second position in the national level finals held at Ahmedabad after multilevel exams in the state and South India for postgraduates.
- Dr. Shreya Bhattacharya, final-year MCh Resident, Head and Neck Oncology has been awarded the gold medal for the best paper award in the 15th National Conference of Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology held at Nagpur during September 10 – 13, 2015. Her paper was selected out of 250 papers submitted at the conference.
- MBBS Students at Amrita School of Medicine secured prizes in the following quiz competitions. Both teams won medals and cash prize.
- Aaditya R. and Jayakrishnu T. J. of 2012 MBBS batch won the first prize in IMA – Dr. K K Rahulan Memorial All Kerala Quiz Competition conducted by Indian Medical Association, Kerala State branch at Calicut.
- Aaditya R. and Jishnu Narayanan Nair of 2012 MBBS won the third prize at COMPOSMENTIS 2015, National Forensic Quiz Competition held at KMC Manipal.
- Dr. Kavya Jonnalgadda, second-year DM Endocrinology resident, School of Medicine won the best paper award at the Indian Thyroid Society Conference which was held at Kolkata from October 02-04, 2015. Her paper was titled “Profile of bone metastasis in differentiated thyroid carcinoma patients – a South Indian perspective.” Her research was guided by Dr. Vasantha Nair, Professor, Endocrinology and Dr. Usha Menon, Associate Professor, Endocrinology at Amrita School of Medicine.
- Dr. Srivatsa N., second year postgraduate resident in Orthopaedics has won the best poster award at the recently held OASISCON –2015 organized by Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States (OASIS). The poster was titled ‘Denosumab in the treatment of Giant Cell Tumor of the bone.’ He was guided by Dr. Krishnakumar R., Consultant Spine Surgeon and Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences,Cochin.
“This year the competition was tough” said Dr Srivatsa. “There were 121 posters competing for the award, out of which 34 posters entered the final round. Our poster described the role of Denosumab; which is a novel human monoclonal antibody RANKL inhibitor; on treating Giant Cell Tumour of bone. We have documented the clinical, radiological and histopathological changes due to Denosumab on the tumor, which was well appreciated by the audience and jury”.
- Dr. Krishnakumar, who guided Dr Srivatsa added “the problem with the treatment of Giant cell tumor lies in the recurrence rate. Although the recurrence rate has come down with extended curettage, some cases with fractures with extension of tumor into soft tissue pose a challenge. We have used Denosumab in one such situation to prevent the chances of recurrence of the tumor.” He continued “we are happy to see our postgraduates performing well at national level conferences. Infact, last year also we had secured the best poster award at OASISCON 2014 by Dr Aravind Madanan who presented on ‘Naked facets in Thoracolumbar spinal fractures.’ Such awards do play a significant role in motivating junior postgraduate residents as well.”
- Dr. Sujesh Kumar N., final-year MD resident, Biochemistry won the First Prize for oral presentation at DIABCON 2015, a national conference, held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Thiruvalla on 11th July 2015. There were fifteen participants for the oral presentation. His study was titled “Association between High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein and Urine Albumin Creatinine ratio in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus”. The study was guided by Dr. Sajitha Krishnan, Professor and Dr. K. N. Subhakumari, Professor and Head, Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine.
- Dr. Himesh R. Gandhi, final-year MCh Resident in Urology has bagged the best poster prize at the Annual Meeting of the prestigious American Urological Association held at New Orleans during May 15 – 19, 2015. This paper was highly appreciated among the 20 posters presented from the best institutions all over the world including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) and Mayo clinic. This work is a collaborative effort of the Department of Urology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Amrita Center for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine.
- The study was guided by Dr. Appu Thomas, Professor, Department of Urology,Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences. Dr. Vinoth K. Laksmanan, Assistant Professor, Amrita Center for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine was the co-guide.
- Dr. Sindhura Manne, final-year MD Resident, Dermatology, received first prize in case report section for her paper “Pseudobubo – A Case Report” in the Kerala State Conference of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists held at Kannur during May 9 – 10, 2015.
- Dr. Keerthi G. Nambiar, final-year MD Resident, Dermatology, received second prize in case study section for her paper “Topical Immunotherapy – A Hair Raising Magic Potion” in the Kerala State Conference of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists held at Kannur during May 9 – 10, 2015.
- Dr. Aziz K. S., DM Resident, Pulmonary Medicine, received second prize for his paper “Predictors of mortality in severe sepsis in Medical ICU” in the recently concluded 17th Annual Conference of Academy of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine jointly organized with Cochin Thoracic Society, held at IMA Hall Kochi during May 8 – 10, 2015.
- Dr. Melvin J. George, Fellow in Orthopaedics, has been selected for podium presentation in the prestigious ‘36th SICOT Orthopaedic World Congress’ (Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie) to be held in Guangzhou, China in September 2015.
- His paper titled ‘Study of intra-operative measurements of distal femur with respect to the femoral components in Indian patients undergoing TKA’ was done at the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences under the guidance of Dr. Jai Thilak, Professor, Orthopaedics. It is one among the few papers selected from India.
- Dr. Anjith Vuppituri, final year DM Cardiology resident, received the “Young Investigator Award – 2015” for his study “Heart Fatty Acid Binding Protein (H-FABP) as an Early Diagnostic Biomarker in Patients with Acute Chest Pain”.The paper was also selected as the best paper presented, in the Cardiological Society of India-Kerala Chapter Conference held during May 02 – 03, 2015 at Calicut. Dr. K. U. Natarajan, Professor and Head of the Department of Cardiology guided Dr. Anjith in this original research work.
- Dr. Antony R. Joy – final-year DM resident, Department of Gastroenterology won the best poster award for his paper titled “Donor to recipient matching in Living Donor Liver Transplantation” at the Annual Meeting of ISG – Kerala Chapter held during April 18 – 19, 2015. Dr. Antony also secured the second prize for oral presentation for his paper titled “Efficacy and Feasibility of Stroop Test (Smart Phone Application) for the diagnosis of minimal hepatic encephalopathy in patients with Cirrhosis of Liver.”
- Dr. Harshavardhan Rao – final-year DM resident, Department of Gastroenterology won second prize for poster presentation for his paper titled “Prognostic value of arterial lactate levels at admission in patients with variceal haemorrhage” at the Annual Meeting of ISG – Kerala Chapter held during April 18 – 19, 2015.
- Dr. Janardhanan, final-year postgraduate resident and Dr. Reghuveer Reddy, second-year postgraduate resident, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, won the best paper awards in the PG Resident category in the Annual Meeting of Kerala Plastic Surgeons Association in Munnar held during April 17 – 19, 2015. Dr. Janardhanan’s paper was titled “Challenges in the management of large arteriovenous malformation” and Dr. Reghuveer’s paper was titled “Abdominoplasty tissue for resident training.”
- Dr. Mrigakshi Gupta – first year DTCD trainee in the Department of Pulmonary Medicine won the first prize in the CT chest case presentation in the South Zone Post Graduate Talent hunt conducted under the aegis of Indian Chest Society during January 17 – 18, 2015 at Mangalore. Her paper titled “Rare diagnosis can also be rarely correct” narrated a left lower lobe arteriovenous malformation which presented as a solitary lung mass in the chest roentgenograph as well as CT chest.
- Ms. Meenakshy Nair – MBBS 2014 batch won the first prize for her paper titled “High Origin and Anomalous Course of Right Radial Artery – A Case Report” in the oral presentation (undergraduate students category) at the 27th State Level Annual Conference cum CME of the Kerala Chapter of Anatomical Society of India held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Thiruvalla on February 14, 2015.
- Mr. Sudhip Krishnan – MBBS 2014 batch won the third prize for his paper titled “Luminal Plastination of Tracheo-Bronchial Tree” in the oral presentation (undergraduate students category) at the 27th State Level Annual Conference cum CME of the Kerala Chapter of Anatomical Society of India held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Thiruvalla on February 14, 2015.
- Ms. Reshma Rajeev – MBBS 2014 batch won the first prize for her poster titled “Morphological Study of Suprascapular Notch in Human Scapulae” in the poster presentation (undergraduate students category) at the 27th State Level Annual Conference cum CME of the Kerala Chapter of Anatomical Society of India held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Thiruvalla on February 14, 2015.
- Dr. Naresh Kumar – Resident, Department of Neurosurgery won the best paper presentation award for his paper titled “A Multimodel Approach to Achieve Superior Outcomes in the Surgical Management of Extra Temporal Lobe Epilepsy” at the 16th Joint Annual Conference of Indian Epilepsy Association and Indian Epilepsy Society at Chennai during February 6-8, 2015.
- Dr. Devi Bhanu – Second year Resident, Department of Radiology won the third prize in e-poster competition for her poster titled “Methodologies of Guided Intra-articular Injections in Juvenile Idiopathic Artritis ” at the 68th Annual Conference of Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) held at Kochi during January 29 to February 01, 2015.
- The study ” Impact of CD 68 positive tumour – associated macrophages in survival of classical Hodgkins lymphoma” done by Dr. Rohit, third-year postgraduate resident, Department of Pathology in conjunction with Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology was presented as an oral presentation by Dr. Mathew Jose, third year DM resident, Medical Oncology at the recently concluded SAARC Federation of Oncology – International Meet held at New Delhi during November 2014 and was honored with second prize.
- Dr. Preyeamvadha R., Senior Resident, Department of Pediatrics won the award for the best oral presentation in the postgraduate category at the 28th South Zone PEDICON and 43rd Annual Conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Kerala state, held at Thrissur during November 14-16, 2014. The study was titled “Study of Ventilator Associated Pneumonia in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit of a Tertiary Care Hospital.”
- Karandeep Guleria – MBBS 2008 Batch, won second position in Paper presentation, pulsating minds in 39th Annual South Asian Socio – Cultural, literary and sports meet, Pulse 2011, conducted by All India Institute of Medical Sciences. Four other students from the same batch – Sumit Agarwal, Brijesh Kumar, Anoop Singh and Piyush Agarwal also presented posters in the meet.
- Dr. Vineet Sakhi Reddy – IIIrd year MS Resident won the 1st prize and Dr. Revathy A K – IInd year MS Resident won 2nd prize for Poster presentation in 11th scientific national Symposium on Endocrine tumors held at CMC, Vellore.
- Dr. Abijeet, PG student in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery – During the annual meeting of the Kerala Plastic surgeons association held in Kottayam, bagged C Thomas Endowment Prize awarded for the best paper in PG section.
- Dr. Sakthivel, DM Endocrinology Resident cleared his MRCP Speciality Certificate Examination in Diabetes and Endocrinology (MRCP SCE).
- Dr. Anirudh Nair, PG Resident in Radiodiagnosis attended international conference of Euiropean Society of Radiology (ESR 2013) at Vienna, Australia in April 2013.
- Following MBBS students awarded Short Term Studentship grant from ICMR (Rs.5000/- per month for two months) for research :Dr. Bharath C (MD Trainee in Radiation Oncology) won 2nd Prize in Poster presentation in the International Symposium on Non-Hodgkin`s Lymphoma – 2013 at Cancer Institute (WIA) Adyar, on September 07 & 08 2013. Topic: “Patterns of care and outcome analysis in Primary Tonsillar Lymphomas: An 8 year Experience”
- Dr. Jayashree Natarajan MD Student in Obstetrics & Gynaecology presented a poster on ” A twister tale of a uterine mass” and awarded 2nd prize in the poster competition held as part of the scientific deliberations of IMPACT 2013 held at Trivandrum.
- Ashish S Shah MBBS 2011 Topic Study of biochemical parameters (CRP, fasting plasma insulin, Liver enzyme pannel and lipid profile) in non diabeticobeze and diabetic obese patients Guide Dr Sujaya,Assistant Professor, Biochemistry
- Thashreefa Olakara MBBS 2011 Topic: Thyroid profile in type II Diabetes –Mellitus Guide Dr KN Subhakumari, Clinical Professor and HOD, Biochemistry
- Aswathi Krishnan Raju MBBS, 2011, Topic: Correlation between BNP levels and renal failure associted cardiac failure Guide Dr Sajitha Krishnan,Clinical professor, Biochemistry
- Shilpa Vijayakumar MBBS 2011 , Topic: Vitamin D deficiency and its extra- osseous manifestations Guide Dr Jagathlal, Associate professor of Biochemistry
- Dr. Anirudh Nair, PG Resident in Radiodiagnosis, attended the Euopean Society of Radiology (ESR 2013) International conference held at Vienna,Austria in March 2013. He presented his educational exhibit titled ‘Innovative lymphangiography and its utility in the interventional management of chylothorax’
- Dr Karthik Tummala (DM Cardiology Resident) : paper on “Long term clinical outcomes of long paclitaxel drug eluting stents” presented at the recently concluded Asia PCR (Sing Live), a prestigious international conference on interventional Cardiology held in Singapore. This was the only abstract from India which was selected for oral presentation in this conference.
- Dr. Praveen Yadav , DM Neurology Resident – won the best paper award in the recently concluded State Conference of Neurological Society of India for his work on “Silent periods, a rare neuroelcetrophysiological technique, useful in the evaluation of peripheral neuropathy ” .
- Dr Ravi , MD Resident in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation won 2nd place in the poster competition at the recently concluded National conference of The Indian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation held at NIMHANS.
- Dr. Bismay Kumar, DM Resident in Nephrology, won the second prize for Poster presentation at the Indian Society of Nephrology (SC) annual conference held at Vijayawada on 8 to 10 Febraray 2013 Dept. of Nephrology had two oral presentations and one poster presentation for the conference.
- Dr. Anirudh Nair won the Best Poster award in the innovation category for `An innovative lymphangiographic technique and its utility in the interventional management of chylothorax` at the Indians society of vascular and interventional radiology (ISVIR) national conference at Coimbatore. The poster will find a place in the scientific exhibits of the Interventional society of USA (SIR) national convention in New Orleans later this year.
- Dr. Rohan Shah, MCh Neurosurgery Resident, awarded prize for the best platform presentation for his paper “outcomes in carotid endarterectomy” during the Annual conference of the Kerala chapter of the Neurological Society of India held at Kochi on 16-17 Feb 2013. Dr.Naresh, DNB trainee was jointly awarded the first prize for the poster presentation for his paper ‘clinoid and paraclinoid aneurysms’.
- Dr. Puneet Ahluwalia, (2nd year M.Ch Resident in Urology), won first prize in poster presentation on “RCC associated with “Xp11.2 translocation/TFE3 gene fusion: a case report with review of literature” at the Urology National Conference (USICON 2013) held at Pune from 17th – 20th January, 2013.
- Dr. Janhvi Bhate (2nd year PG Resident) won the Third Prize in Oral Paper presentation (Topic: Correlation between pre-operative FNAC and post-operative HPE) during the above conference
- Dr. Sakthivel, DM student in Endocrinology Cleared the “Fellowship in European Committee of Sexual Medicine” Exam held at Amsterdam on Dec 5th,2012. He is the First Indian to secure a European Committee approved Sexual Medicine Fellowship.
- Dr. Karthik Ganesh & Dr.Renu, MD General Medicine students secured second position in Diabetes QUIZ conducted at Thrissur on 15-11 12 by Thrissur Diabetic Club.
- Dr. P. Shriduth, Postgraduate student in Radiodiagnosis won the Second Best Award for paper presentation in the ” Padmasree Kakarla Subbarao Gold Medal Competition for best papers presented by a postgraduate student in Radiology” held at Nizam Institute of Medical sciences, Hyderabad on 10th November 2012.
- Inter College Quiz Competition Sudheesh S and Piyush Agrawal, 2008 batch MBBS students bagged first prize in Intercollegiate Pulmonology quiz competition for MBBS students held on 10-11-2012 at Amala Medical College, Thrissur in connection with World COPD day, 2012.
- Dr Dayanand, M . Ch. student (Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery) awarded the “Best Ongoing Research Project” award for his project “Use of injectable cartilage for ear reconstruction”. The award is instituted by The Association of Plastic Surgeons with the intention of promoting research activities.
- Sudeesh S, 2008 batch MBBS student won First prize in the All Kerala Obstetrics & Gynaecology quiz competition conducted by Kerala Federation of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (KFOG ) at Alleppey on October 13, 2012.
- Dr. Deepa Devdas, Dr. Seema Valsalan, Dr. Greeshma Biju awarded the Dr.Jayavelu Award for best paper in P.G. category during the 35th Annual Conference of Association of Anatomists-Tamil Nadu conducted at Saveetha Medical college-Kancheepuram, Chennai on October 13 – 14, 2012
- At a nation-wide scholarship exam conducted by Torrent Pharmaceuticals, second year Endocrinology DNB students claimed the two top prizes. Dr. R. Bharat stood first and received a scholarship amount of Rs. 1 lakh. Dr. Anish Ahmed came in second and received an amount of Rs. 50,000.
- Dr. Bindhu M. R. & Dr. Mohana S. N. of the first batch of second year DNB (Diplomate of National Board) students of Pathology cleared the DNB exam held in December 2008 in the very first attempt.
- Dr. Sashidhar, DNB student in the Department of Anesthesia won the gold medal for his performance in the DNB Anesthesia Exam, December 2008.
- Dr. L. Srinivas is a second year fellow in the Department of Pediatric Cardiology won the AV Gandhi Award for Excellence in Cardiology in April 2009. The award carries a citation, a gold medal and a cash award of Rs 1 lakh for the candidate and Rs 50,000 for the department.
- Mr. Kannappan, MBBS student won the Best Poster Award for his paper titled “Isolation and validation of biomarker MMP1 from salivary transcriptome for early diagnosis and prognosis of oral cancer” during the ACBICON – 2009, the National Conference of Association of Clinical Biochemsits of India held from 5-11-2009 to 7-11-2009.