‘Pharmaceutical Microbiology – Practical’ is a course offered in the third semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Introduction and study of different equipments and processing, e.g., B.O.D. incubator, laminar flow, aseptic hood, autoclave, hot air sterilizer, deep freezer, refrigerator, microscopes used in experimental microbiology.
- Sterilization of glassware, preparation and sterilization of media.
- Sub culturing of bacteria and fungus. Nutrient stabs and slants preparations./
- Staining methods- Simple, Grams staining and acid fast staining (Demonstration with practical).
- Isolation of pure culture of micro-organisms by multiple streak plate technique and other techniques.
- Microbiological assay of antibiotics by cup plate method and other methods
- Motility determination by Hanging drop method.
- Sterility testing of pharmaceuticals.
- Bacteriological analysis of water
- Biochemical test.
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- W.B. Hugo and A.D. Russel: Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Blackwell Scientific publications, Oxford London.
- Prescott and Dunn., Industrial Microbiology, 4th edition, CBS Publishers & Distributors, Delhi.
- Pelczar, Chan Kreig, Microbiology, Tata McGraw Hill edn.
- Malcolm Harris, Balliere Tindall and Cox: Pharmaceutical Microbiology.
- Rose: Industrial Microbiology.
- Probisher, Hinsdill et al: Fundamentals of Microbiology, 9th ed. Japan
- Cooper and Gunn’s: Tutorial Pharmacy, CBS Publisher and Distribution.
- Peppler: Microbial Technology.
- I.P., B.P., U.S.P.- latest editions.
- Ananthnarayan : Text Book of Microbiology, Orient-Longman, Chennai
- Edward: Fundamentals of Microbiology.
- N.K.Jain: Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Vallabh Prakashan, Delhi
- Bergeys manual of systematic bacteriology, Williams and Wilkins- A Waverly company