'Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry I - Practical' is a course offered in the second semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Systematic qualitative analysis of unknown organic compounds like
- Preliminary test: Color, odour, aliphatic/aromatic compounds, saturation and unsaturation, etc.
- Detection of elements like Nitrogen, Sulphur and Halogen by Lassaigne’s test.
- Solubility test
- Functional group test like Phenols, Amides/ Urea, Carbohydrates, Amines, Carboxylic acids, Aldehydes and Ketones, Alcohols, Esters, Aromatic and Halogenated Hydrocarbons, Nitro com- pounds and Anilides.
- Melting point/Boiling point of organic compounds
- Identification of the unknown compound from the literature using melting point/ boiling point.
- Preparation of the derivatives and confirmation of the unknown compound bymelting point/ boiling point.
- Minimum 5 unknown organic compounds to be analysed systematically.
- Preparation of suitable solid derivatives from organic compounds
- Construction of molecular models
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- Organic Chemistry by Morrison and Boyd
- Organic Chemistry by I.L. Finar, Volume-I
- Textbook of Organic Chemistry by B.S. Bahl & Arun Bahl.
- Organic Chemistry by P.L.Soni
- Practical Organic Chemistry by Mann and Saunders.
- Vogel’s text book of Practical Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Practical organic chemistry by N.K.Vishnoi.
- Introduction to Organic Laboratory techniques by Pavia, Lampman and Kriz.
- Reaction and reaction mechanism by Ahluwaliah/Chatwal.