‘Pharmacology I Practical’ is a course offered in the fourth semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Introduction to experimental pharmacology.
- Commonly used instruments in experimental pharmacology.
- Study of common laboratory animals.
- Maintenance of laboratory animals as per CPCSEA guidelines.
- Common laboratory techniques. Blood withdrawal, serum and plasma separation, anesthetics and euthanasia used for animal studies.
- Study of different routes of drugs administration in mice/rats.
- Study of effect of hepatic microsomal enzyme inducers on the phenobarbitone sleeping time in mice.
- Effect of drugs on ciliary motility of frog oesophagus
- Effect of drugs on rabbit eye.
- Effects of skeletal muscle relaxants using rota-rod apparatus.
- Effect of drugs on locomotor activity using actophotometer.
- Anticonvulsant effect of drugs byMES and PTZ method.
- Study of stereotype and anti-catatonic activity of drugs on rats/mice.
- Study of anxiolytic activity of drugs using rats/mice.
- Study of local anesthetics by different methods
Note: All laboratory techniques and animal experiments are demonstrated by simulated experiments by softwares and videos
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- Rang H. P., Dale M. M., Ritter J. M., Flower R. J., Rang and Dale’s Pharmacology,.Churchil Livingstone Elsevier
- Katzung B. G., Masters S. B., Trevor A. J., Basic and clinical pharmacology, Tata Mc Graw-Hill
- Goodman and Gilman’s, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics
- Marry Anne K. K., Lloyd Yee Y., Brian K. A., Robbin L.C., Joseph G. B., Wayne A. K., Bradley R.W., Applied Therapeutics, The Clinical use of Drugs, The Point Lippincott Williams &Wilkins
- Mycek M.J, Gelnet S.B and Perper M.M. Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews- Pharmacology
- K.D.Tripathi. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, JAYPEE Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi.
- Sharma H. L., Sharma K. K., Principles of Pharmacology, Paras medical publisher
- Modern Pharmacology with clinical Applications, by Charles R.Craig& Robert,
- Ghosh MN. Fundamentals of Experimental Pharmacology. Hilton & Company, Kolkata.
- Kulkarni SK. Handbook of experimental pharmacology. VallabhPrakashan,