Achievements, School of Medicine
Faculty Achievements / Participation / Recognition
- Dr. Janarthanan R., Assistant Professor, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery received Junior Best Paper award prize for his oral presentation titled "Technical difficulties in the Management of Large ArterioVenous Malformations" in the Kerala State Plastic Surgery Association (KPSA) conference recently held in Trivandrum.
- In the recently held 1st American College of Physicians (ACP) India Chapter Congress - Medicine 2016 in Mumbai, Dr. Merlin Moni, Assistant Professor in the Department of General Medicine, Amrita School of Medicine won the second prize for her paper presentation - “Sepsis Registry” - Experience from Tertiary care hospital on April 01 - 03, 2016."
- Dr. Mohan Abraham, Professor and Head of the Department of Paediatric Surgery has been chosen as the President of Kerala Association of Paediatric Surgeons on February 07, 2016.
- Dr. Krishnakumar R., Associate Professor, Spine Division, Department of Orthopaedics has described a new clinical sign in Orthopaedics & Spine termed “sternum-into-abdomen deformity” which was published in the leading international 'SPINE' journal. The term “sternum-into-abdomen deformity” is descriptive of the resultant severe kyphosis with prominent abdominal wall crease from sternal/lower rib cage pressure on the abdomen, causing gastrointestinal dysfunction severe enough to cause weight loss. The co-author of this publication is Prof. Dr. Lawrence G. Lenke, a renowned spine specialist who has classified Scoliosis.
- In the recently concluded Golden Jubilee National Meeting of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSICON 2015) in Mumbai, Dr. Subramania Iyer, Professor and Head, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, was elected as the President. This is after 21 years that a Plastic Surgeon from Kerala is elected to this post. Dr. Subramania Iyer also delivered the A C Ganguli Memorial Lecture at the meeting. His topic was Hand Transplant and Beyond.
- Dr. Mohit Sharma, Professor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, secured the Sam C. Bose and Saroja Bose Best Audit and Research Paper award instituted for the first time by APSI for Microtia Reconstruction. His paper was titled - An Audit of Microtia Reconstruction : Improvement in results after review and modification of technique. He was also awarded the Ethicon Visiting Professorship in Microsurgery for the year 2016.
- Dr. Janarthanan R, Assistant Professor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, secured the APSI Best Paper award for his paper titled Hydrogels & PRP - A boon for fatgraft survival?
- In the 23rd Annual Conference of the Association of Gynecologic Oncologists of India (AGOICON) held at Hyderabad during November 27 - 29, 2015, Dr. Anupama R., Associate Professor, Department of Gynaecologic Oncology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences won the BEST PAPER (Dr. Shashikant Lele Award for the best paper in conference theme) award. Her paper was titled – Sentinel node mapping in endometrial cancer using Indocyanine Green Dye and Near Infrared Imaging. The paper is also published in the Indian Journal of Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr.Chinmay Kulkarni, Assistant Professor, Radiology, School of Medicine has received the Certificate of Merit award for the online scientific exhibit "Tropical Pancreatitis- A unique Clinic-radiological entity" in the Radiological Society of North America 101st Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting held during November 29 - December 04, 2015 in Chicago.
- Dr. Manjit Sharma, Assistant Professor, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Amrita School of Medicine has been awarded the prestigious degree of Fellow of European Board of Nuclear Medicine (FEBNM) after successfully clearing the European Nuclear Medicine Fellowship Examination held in October 2015 in Hamburg, Germany under the auspicious of UEMS/CESMA-COUNCIL OF SPECIALIST MEDICAL ASSESSMENTS EXAMINATION COMMITTEE 2015.
- Dr. Rose Mary Jacob, Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology, Amrita School of Medicine has won the first best research paper award for her paper titled "Thyroid and Endometriosis" at the 9th Annual Conference of Association of Physiologists of Tamil Nadu held at Meenakshi Medical College Hospital & Research Institute, Kachipuram during September 26- 27, 2015.
- In the recently concluded 17th Annual Conference of Academy of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine jointly organized with Cochin Thoracic Society, held at IMA Hall Kochi during May 8 - 10, 2015, faculty in the Department of Pulmonary Medicine received great honors:
- Dr. P. T. James, Professor and Academic Head was awarded “Presidential Appreciation Award” for his outstanding contribution to the branch of pulmonary medicine.
- Dr. Asmita Mehta, Clinical Professor was awarded “Young Pulmonologist Award 2015” for her brilliant academic and clinical achievements.
- Dr. Arun Nair, Clinical Head, conducted an Interventional Pulmonology EBUS-Thoracoscopy workshop ably assisted by Dr. Subin Ahmed, Clinical Assistant Professor. Dr. Hari Lakshmanan, Clinical Associate Professor and Dr. Asmita Mehta, Clinical Professor were faculty conducting the Sleep and Thoracic Ultrasound workshop respectively. Dr. Akhilesh K., Clinical Assistant Professor and Dr. Nithya Haridas, Clinical Assistant Professor contributed with their active participation in conference activities.
- Dr. Pavithran, Professor and Head, Medical Oncology, have been elected as a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London.
- Dr. Sundeep Vijayaraghavan, Professor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, won the best paper award for practicing plastic surgeon for the year 2014 in the Annual Meeting of Kerala Plastic Surgeons Association in Munnar held during April 17 - 19, 2015. His paper was titled "Bipolar transfer of biceps femoris muscle for hip abduction."
- Dr. Jimmy Mathew, Professor, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, won the best paper award for practicing plastic surgeon for the year 2015 in the Annual Meeting of Kerala Plastic Surgeons Association in Munnar held during April 17 - 19, 2015. His paper was titled "Masseteric nerve for facial re-animation."
- Dr. Zachariah Paul, Assistant Professor, Department of Nephrology won the best poster award at the 11th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Society of Diagnostic and Interventional Nephrologist at Orlando, Florida during February 13 - 15, 2015. The poster was titled 'Effect of transdermal nitroglycerin on newly created arteriovenous fistula for hemodialysis.' There were a total of 30 posters, of which ours was placed first. This has also been invited for podium presentation at the 9th Congress of the Vascular Access Society to be held during April 15 – 18, 2015 at Barcelona, Spain.
- Dr. Charu Singh, Addl Professor, Department of Pain and Palliative Medicine won the best poster award at the 22nd International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care (IAPCON 2015) at Hyderabad during February 13 - 15, 2015. The poster was titled 'Integration of palliative care in intensive care in a tertiary care hospital - our experience.'
This award especially holds value as there were 98 posters from other countries including Sweden, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Canada etc. The poster discussed Amrita Institute of Medical Science’s work over past 2 years including integrated rounds in ICU, care conferences for decision making, enabling discharge to home and establishing of Bioethics Committee.
- Dr. Sathyajith G. Nair, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics won the award for the best poster in the faculty category at the 28th South Zone PEDICON and 43rd Annual Conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Kerala state, held at Thrissur during November 14-16, 2014. The poster was titled “Electrolyte disturbances in children admitted to the Pediatric critical care unit: A comparative study.”
- Dr George Paul, Assoc Professor, Dept of Geriatrics Conferred FRCP, Glasgow and selected to the panel of examiners for MRCP General Medicine, a rare distinction to an Indian Doctor.
- Dr. Ajit Kumar Varma, Professor, Dept of General Surgery/Podiatric Surgery won Dr. S.C. Mishra Oration Award conducted by CSM Medical University (King George Medical College Hospital, Lucknow).
- Dr.Umadethan, Professor & Head, Dept of Forensic Medicine Published a book on "Principles and practice of forensic medicine" Swamy Law Publishers, Kochi.
- Dr. V N Unni, Professor & Head, Dept of Nephrology selected as a Key Opinion Leader for Kidney Transplantation in India by the International Transplantation Society.
- Dr. R.V. Jayakumar, Professor of Endocrinology, who is the President of the Indian Thyroid Society elected to the Executive Council of the Asia Oceanic Thyroid Association (AOTA). This Association includes a number of countries like Japan, China, Korea, Indonesia, Australia, Iran and other South East Asian countries. He is the first Indian to be elected to this council.
- Dr Subramania Iyer, Professor, Dept. of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery/Head & Neck Surgery :
- Invited as Co- Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the First Euro Asian Head and Neck cancer congress at Belarus.
- Invited as a Distinguished Overseas visitor for the annual meeting of the Royal Australian College of Surgeon to be held in Perth. He is the second Indian to be accorded with the honor.
- Appointed as External Examiner for the Fellowship of the Academy of Medicine Singapore (FAMS) Exit Examination in Plastic Surgery.
- Nominated as the President of the Eurasian Head and Neck Society as well as into the governing body of the Eurasian Federation of Oncology for a two year term.
- Invited as international Chairperson for the EAFO Global Cancer Summit in Moscow and Head and Neck cancer surgery workshop in Tomsk, Siberia
- Dr.Vinayan KP, Professor, Dept of Neurology :
- Selected to represent India in the WHO-ILAE workshop on neonatal seizures held in Budapest, Hungary.
- Appointed as a Member of International Task Force for Development of Diagnostic and Management Guidelines for Epilepsies in Children by the International League Against Epilepsy(ILAE). He was the representative for the Asia - Oceania region in this body.
- Appointed as an External Examiner by the Faculty of Medicine , University of Cape Town, South Africa for the Ph.D/ M.Phil projects in the discipline of Pediatric Neurology.
- Elected as the Editor "Epilepsy India", the official Journal of Indian Epilepsy Society.
- Dr Sanjeev K Singh, Medical Superintendent
- Selected as an Ambassador for Society of Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) from India. The honor of Ambassadorship is conferred to 10 best professionals in infection control in the world. Presented four abstracts in the Center for Disease Control meeting at Atlanta.
- Authored a book entitled "Infection Control Guidelines – Principles and Practice"
- Appointed as a member to the most prestigious technical committee in National Board of Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH).
- The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), recommended him to the Government of India for planning and drafting national policies for infection prevention.
- Dr. V. V. Pillay, Professor Professor of Forensic Medicine and Chief, Analytical Toxicology.
- Appointed as one of 7 international experts by the World Health Organization (Geneva) as a reviewer for a monograph on blood lead analysis which has been released globally. He was also a contributor for an earlier WHO monograph (on snake antivenom) published in 2010 (WHO Guidelines for the Production, Control and Regulation of Snake Antivenom Immunoglobulins. 2010).
- Appointed as one of three Asia Representatives of American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) for 2011. He is the only representative selected from India.
- Nominated as member of the Expert Committee constituted by the Directorate of Forensic Sciences, Ministry of Home affairs, Govt. of India, for drafting a bill for enactment in Parliament, on " Forensic Science Services 2011".
- Dr. K. N. Panicker, Professor, Dept of Community Medicine nominated as a Member of an eminent group of central and State governments to study the status of mosquito menace and find out the remedies and suggest ameliorative measures and to prepare an action plan for controlling mosquito population.
- Dr Krishnakumar T , Assoc. Professor, Dept. of Head and Neck Surgery awarded fellowship of American Head and Neck Society recently. He was given the fellowship after successfully completing 2 years of training at the Rosewell Park Institute, Buffalo.
- Dr. Rajesh, Asst Professor, Dept. of Gastroenterology awarded Japanese Society of Gastroenterology Research Fellowship Programme award during the Asian Pacific Digestive Week 2011 (APDW) in Japan .
- Dr. V. Narayanan Unni, Professor & Head, Department of Nephrology :
- Nominated by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, UK, to receive the Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) and attended the admission ceremony at Glasgow.This is in recognition of his clinical and academic achievements during his illustrious career.
- Received fellowship of Indian Society of Nephrology (2012)
- Dr Balu Vaidyanathan, Professor, Department of Pediatric Cardiology. Received Fellowship of the American College of Cardiology.
- Dr Krishnakumar R, Assistant Professor, Spine division, Dept of Orthopaedics :
- Received fellowship from Scoliosis Research society, USA
- Awarded 2013 ISSLS (International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine) International Spine fellowship During 40th Annual Meeting of ISSLS Scottsdale, Arizona, USA.
- Dr. Meenakshi Dhar, Professor of Ophthalmology, Appointed as Member Ethics Committee of Ophthalmic Society of India.
- Dr. Unnikrishnan K. Menon, Associate Prof., Department of ENT elected as Associate Editor International Journal of Phonosurgery & Laryngology, the official journal of the Association of Phonosurgeons of India (APSI).
- Dr. Dinesh. N, Professor, Department of Psychiatry & Behaviour Medicine appointed as the President Indian Medical Association, Cochin.
- Dr. V. Rajesh, Assoc. Prof. Dept of Pulmonary medicine : Awarded the Young Pulmonologist Award of 2013 Instituted by the Academy of Pulmonary And Critical Care Medicine (APCCM).
- Dr. Gopal S Pillai, Assoc Prof & Head, Dept of Ophthalmology. Elected as Editor Kerala Journal of Ophthalmology 2012-13
- Dr. Sheela Nampoothiri, HoD, Department of Pediatric Genetic was invited to present a paper titled, "Lysosomal Disorders in Kerala – Experiences from AIMS," at the Asia Pacific Lysosomal Storage Disorder Conference held at New Zealand during 20th-23rd November 2008. The paper won wide appreciation on account of its reporting on the largest series of lysosomal storage disorders from India.
- Dr. Sukhes Mukherjee of the Department of Biochemistry at the Amrita School of Medicine was awarded the 2008 Young Scientist Award. His paper titled "Effects of Grape Skin and Flesh on Ethanol Induced Alterations in Blood," won the PS Murthy award at the 35th Annual Conference of Association of Clinical Biochemists of India, held at the Vedic Village at Kolkata, 18 – 21 December, 2008.
- Dr. Moni Abraham Kuriakose, Chairperson of the Head and Neck Institute at Amrita School of Medicine has been appointed to the scientific committee of Academy of Oral Oncology and Advanced Craniomaxillofacial Research.
- Dr. Subramania Iyer, HoD, Department of Reconstructive Surgery has been invited as scientific co-chairman of 1st Euro- Asian Head and Neck Cancer Congress, Belarus in July 2009.
- Dr. Surij Salih, Head and Neck Institute, School of Medicine won gold medal for best paper Presentation for his paper Titled "Tensor fascia lata osseo-musculocutaneous free flap for orbitomaxillary Defects," at the Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology 8th National Conference in Bhubaneswar held in December 2008.
- Dr. Naveen, Head and Neck Institute, School of Medicine won gold medal for best poster Presentation for his Poster on the topic "Lateral arm free flap for oral tongue defect reconstruction," at 3rd World Ayurveda Congress held in December 2008, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Dr. B. Rajeev, Honorary Consultant, Holistic Medicine won second prize for paper presentation and best poster presentation award at the 9th Joint Annual Conference of the Indian Epilepsy Association and Indian Epilepsy Society held in October 2008, New Delhi.
- Dr. Vinayan K.P., Clinical Professor, Department of Neurology won 2nd best poster award for his clinical series presentation of a rare epileptic syndrome, a first for India, for the topic — A study of the clinical and electrographic characteristics of Angelman syndrome.
- Dr. Sunil P. V., DNB Trainee, Department of Pathology won the Best Case Presentation Award in the neuropathology slide seminar session for his presentation of the case titled " Giant Cell Ependymoma of the Filum Terminale," at the 63rd IAPM Kerala Chapter Meeting at AIMS, Kochi on February 14, 2009.
- "Neurogenic Dysphagia in Acute Ischemic Stroke – Incidence, Severity and Outcome: A Clinical Study," a paper by Dr. Pravin Thomas won the Best Paper Presentation Award in Neurology at the Neurological Society of India, Kerala Chapter Meeting at Trichur, February 14-15, 2009. The paper was co-authored by Dr. Anand Kumar, Dr. Suresh Kumar, Dr. Sreekala, Dr. Siby, Dr. Vinayan, Dr. Bindu and Dr. Arun Grace.
- Dr. Gaurav Pandey of Department of Gastro Medicine won the second place for his paper titled "Experience with Living Donor Live Transplantation," at the Indian Society of Gastroenterology Annual Conference of Kerala Chapter at Kovalam, February 2009.
- Dr. Supriya Sharma of Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery won the second place for her poster "Rodenticide Induced Fulminant Hepatic Failure: An Unappreciated Problem," at the Indian Society of Gastroenterology Annual Conference of Kerala Chapter at Kovalam, February 2009.
- Dr. Murali Jayaraman from the Department of GI Surgery won the Best Poster Award for his poster titled " Bariatric Surgery – Definitely a Metabolic Surgery," at Annual Conference of Association of Surgical Gastroenterologists, Kerala Chapter at Calicut on January 25, 2009.
- Dr. Gopal S. Pillai, HoD of Retinal Services won the first prize for his paper presentation at Drishti 2009, the 34th Annual Conference of the Kerala Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons, conducted in Kannur on November 29, 2009. The paper was titled —"Results of Small Gauge Vitrectomy for Retinal Diseases: A Retrospective Analysis of 586 Cases."
- Dr. V. Balakrishnan was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Indian Society of Gastroenterology in 2009. The award was presented to him at the Annual Conference of Gastroenterology; India’s largest gathering of physicians and researchers, in the field of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Surgery.
- At the State Orthopaedics Conference at Palakkad held in Jan 2010, Dr. Ranjith Unnikrishnan was awarded the Prof. T. K. Surendran memorial gold medal for his paper titled "Anterior Vs Posterior Surgery in Thoracolumbar and Lumbar Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: A Prospective Randomized Study."
- Dr. Ajit Kumar Varma was awarded the oration medal, a certificate and a plaque at the Dr. S. C. Mishra memorial oration contest conducted in January 2010 by CSM Medical University, previously King George Medical College, Lucknow. The contest was part of the 55th Foundation Day celebrations of the University.
- Dr. Sebind Kumar, was awarded the 2nd place for his poster titled, "Modafinil for clozapine induced adverse effects in people with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders in remission: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial", at the 3rd South Asian Regional Symposium on Evidence Informed Healthcare recently conducted at the Christian Medical College, Vellore, in January 2010.
- Dr. Anupama, Assistant Professor in the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department at the Amrita School of Medicine, won the best paper prize in oncology at the Obstetrics and Gynecology Conference in Guwahati, in January 2010.
- Dr. K. K. Haridas was conferred the title of Fellow of Royal College of Physicians, Ireland in Dublin on March 5, 2010. He was one of seven recipients world-wide to have received the honor in 2010.
- Dr. Tufela Shafi, Vitreo-Retinal Fellow at the Department of Ophthalmology won the Best paper award in the 61st Delhi Ophthalmic Society Conference at New Delhi, in May 2010. Her paper was titled "Core Vitrectomy versus Near Total Vitrectomy with PVD induction and retinal surface cleaning in the visual outcome of postoperative endophthalmitis."
- Dr. Sujithra H. of the Department of Ophthalmology was awarded the best video presentation award for her video, Amritakiranam at the Delhi Ophthalmic Society Conference, in May 2010. Amritakiranam depicts a teleophthalmic approach to management of diabetic retinopathy in remote areas.
- Dr. Binu Sasidharan, Fellow at the Department of Orthopedics won the Prof. P. A. Alexander Memorial Gold Medal at ARTHROCON 2010, an International Knee Symposium convened in Calicut in Jun 2010. The gold medal was awarded for his paper titled, "Analysis of Valgus Angle following Navigation for Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA)", which was adjudged as the best paper in the conference.
Student Achievements / Participation / Recognition
Dr. Arun Sachu, MD Resident of Department of Microbiology, won the 2nd prize for his oral presentation titled “Characterization of blood stream isolates of Ralstonia mannitolilytica during an outbreak, using random amplification of polymorphic DNA typing” at the recently concluded CME of Academy of Clinical Microbiologist, organised by Department of Microbiology, Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur during July 08, 2016. The study was done in collaboration with Amrita Center for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine.
Dr. Vineeth Sudhindran, Final Year Resident, General Surgery won the third prize for individual quiz competetion held at the Vascular Surgeons of India Midterm Meet held at Trivandrum during July 02-03, 2016. Dr. Vineeth Sudhindran and Dr. Sreedutt Murali also won second prize in the quiz competition conducted for MS Residents at the conference.
Dr. Akta Trivedi, second-year postgraduate, DM Neurology won the second best poster at ICTRIMS 2016, the national sub-speciality conference on multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating illnesses, held at Mangalore, Karnataka during June 04 - 05, 2016 under the aegis of Indian Academy of Neurology and NITTE University.
- Dr. Akshay Omkumar, second-year MCh resident in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, won the first prize in the Prof. R. N. Sinha Memorial Essay Competition 2015 for the topic "Toe transfer v/s allotransplantation in bilateral amputees at below elbow level". Dr. Akshay received the award at the Kerala Plastic Surgery State Conference held at Trivandrum on April 23, 2016.
- The free paper presented by Dr. Muthiah Subramanian, first year DM Cardiology student, School of Medicine, titled “A NOVEL RISK PREDICTION SCORE IN PATIENTS WITH BRUGADA SYNDROME” ( a condition which causes sudden cardiac death in patients at higher risk). He was awarded the best paper in the recently held 6th Annual Conference of the Kerala Heart Rhythm Society at Trivandrum.
This risk prediction score based on clinical and ECG parameters has not been described so far. The study was assisted by Dr. Mukund Prabhu, Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
- In the recently held 1st American College of Physicians (ACP) India Chapter Congress - Medicine 2016 in Mumbai, Dr. Rithesh Reddy Gundam, second-year postgraduate resident in the Department of General Medicine, Amrita School of Medicine won first prize for his poster presentation - “A case of young male with hurting legs - PAN with Isolated calf myositis presentation- progressed to Systemic PAN.” on April 01 - 03, 2016.
- Dr. Liju George, second-year MD Resident, Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine received first prize for her poster titled “Evaluation of Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Versus Smear Microscopy and Liquid Culture in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Kochi, Kerala” at the CME organised by Department of Microbiology, Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram & Academy of Clinical Microbiologist on February 27, 2016. She was guided by Dr. Sadia Khan, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine.
In the recently concluded 76th IAPM (Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists) Kerala chapter meeting held on February 13, 2016 at Trivandrum Medical College, two out of the three prizes for the case & poster presentations were bagged by postgraduate students at the Department of Pathology, School of Medicine.A total of 18 cases from different medical colleges were presented in the slide seminar on Head & Neck Lesions.
The Best Poster Award was bagged by Dr. Athulya Sadeesh, second-year MD resident, for the poster titled “Sarcoidosis – Renal Manifestation."
Dr Krishna, final year DCP student, bagged "Best Case Presentation Award” for the excellent presententation on “Phosphaturic mesenchymal Tumor of the maxilla."
- Dr. Neena Baby, Fellow in Pediatric Neurology, won the best paper award for her paper titled "Efficacy, tolerability and seizure outcome of ketogenic diet in 74 children with Pharmacoresistant Epilepsy " in the 17th Joint Annual Conference of Indian Epilepsy Association and Indian Epilepsy Society held at Visakhapatnam during February 12 - 14, 2016. Her work was guided by Dr. Vinayan K.P., Professor, Department of Neurology.
Best Poster Award at the Kerala Orthopaedics Association Conference (KOACON 2016)
Dr. Suranjana R., final-year postgraduate resident in Orthopaedics has won the best poster award at the recently held KOACON –2016 organized by Kerala Orthopaedic Association (KOA). The poster was titled ‘Unusual case of compressive myelopathy.’ She was guided by Dr. Krishnakumar R., Consultant Spine Surgeon and Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
Dr. Suranjana R
Dr. Krishnakumar, who guided Dr. Suranjana added: “When the boy came to me, he could hardly stand up. His spinal cord was significantly compressed by the tumour; which required microsurgical approach, use of high speed burr and careful removal of the tumour under neuromonitoring. Osteochondroma is a common benign bone tumour seen in children, but to have such a tumour inside the spinal canal was uncommon. So here, we had a common tumour in an uncommon area causing significant problem. Patient made a progressive recovery and is now walking well.” He continued : “We are happy to see our postgraduates performing well at various conferences. Such awards do play a significant role in motivating junior postgraduate residents as well.”
- Dr. Kshitij Bansal, Fellow in Pediatric Neurology won the 2nd best paper award in the recently concluded International Conference on Child Neurology in Chennai during January 22 - 24, 2016 for his paper titled " Developmental Delay, Epilepsy, Neonatal Diabetes( DEND) Syndrome - a rare epileptic encephalopathy".
- In the recently concluded Amrita Breast Cancer Comprehensive Teaching Program at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, on January 09, 2016, second-year MD Pathology student, Dr. Athulya Sadeesh, won the Best Poster Award for her poster titled "ORPHAN "ED IN THE BREAST - A case of Occult metastasis from Papillary thyroid Carcinoma". This work was done under the guidance of Professors, Dr. Indu R. N. and Dr. Annie Jojo.
- In the recently concluded Golden Jubilee National Meeting of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSICON 2015) in Mumbai, Dr. Raghuveer Reddy, MCh Fellow, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, secured the APSI Goa Research Award for his paper titled: A prospective comparative study of survival of fat grafts with or without external volume expansion in a murine model.
- Dr. Vikrant V. Vijan, Fellow in Interventional Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, received the 2nd Best Poster Award at ACCEL(American College Of Cardiology Extended Learning) held at Muscat, Oman, in December 2015. His Case Report "An Unusual Case of Biatrial Myxoma in a Young Female" is accepted and would be published in the January edition of Case Reports in Cardiology journal. Also two of his abstracts are selected for presentation in the prestigious CRT Conference to be held in Washington DC in February 2016. Dr. Rajesh Thachathodiyl, Professor, Department of Cardiology, guided Dr.Vikrant in this original research work.
- In the recently held First International Symposium in Hospital Medicine at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences jointly organized with Mayo Clinic, USA during December 04 – 06, 2015, Dr. Ajith V., final-year MD Resident, Department of Emergency Medicine won the BEST RESEARCH PAPER award for his paper titled – Pharmacovigilance in Anti Snake Venom related Adverse Drug Reaction Assessment. He was guided by Dr. Gireesh Kumar K. P., Professor and Head, Department of Emergency Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences.
Dr. Ajith V., final-year MD Resident, Emergency Medicine receiving the best research paper award
In the recently held 25th National Conference of Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology (IASG) at Pune during October 02 - 05, 2015, final-year postgraduate residents in the Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Amrita School of Medicine won awards. Dr. Prakash K. won the best video award on Robotic Whipple’s Resection and Dr. Amol Kanetkar won the best poster award for his poster titled “Pre-operative nutritional status on outcomes of adult liver transplant recipients.”
- The following MBBS students won the Dr. Leela Krishnamurthi Best Paper Awards ( total 5 ) in PRIMS ANATCON 2015 (38th Annual Conference of Association of Anatomists, Tamil Nadu) held at Ponnaiyah Ramanujam Institute of Medical Sciences, Manamai, Nallur Road, ECR,Chennai during October 10 -11, 2015.
- "Luminal Plastination of Male Urethra" by Bharath Pillai (MBBS 2013 batch) & Gopalan M.
- "Cheloscopy - Study of Lip print for Personal identification" by Priyadarsini T. (MBBS 2012 batch), Remya S. & Gopalan M.
- "Analysis of a case of Aberrant Right Subclavian artery with a retro-tracheal course by Sreelakshmi (MBBS 2014 batch), Tintu T.S., Minnie Pillay, Asha G. & b
- "Variations in the morphology of the Lungs & its clinical implications" by Vaibhav Venniyoor (MBBS 2014 batch), Suja Mary Jacob, Minnie Pillay, Gopalan M.
- "Study of the Relationship between Height and Femoral / Humeral length" by Sriram Rajagopal ( MBBS 2014 batch), Niranjana Rajesh (MBBS 2013 batch) & Gopalan M.
Dr. Keerthy G. Nambiar, final-year postgraduate resident in Dermatology, School of Medicine has won the Torrent Young Scholar Award (TYSA) for dermatologists 2015. She secured second position in the national level finals held at Ahmedabad after multilevel exams in the state and South India for postgraduates.
Dr. Shreya Bhattacharya, final-year MCh Resident, Head and Neck Oncology has been awarded the gold medal for the best paper award in the 15th National Conference of Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology held at Nagpur during September 10 - 13, 2015. Her paper was selected out of 250 papers submitted at the conference.
Dr. Shreya Bhattacharya, final-year MCh Resident, Head and Neck Oncology recieving gold medal for the best paper award
MBBS Students at Amrita School of Medicine secured prizes in the following quiz competitions. Both teams won medals and cash prize.
- Aaditya R. and Jayakrishnu T. J. of 2012 MBBS batch won the first prize in IMA – Dr. K K Rahulan Memorial All Kerala Quiz Competition conducted by Indian Medical Association, Kerala State branch at Calicut.
- Aaditya R. and Jishnu Narayanan Nair of 2012 MBBS won the third prize at COMPOSMENTIS 2015, National Forensic Quiz Competition held at KMC Manipal.
Dr. Kavya Jonnalgadda, second-year DM Endocrinology resident, School of Medicine won the best paper award at the Indian Thyroid Society Conference which was held at Kolkata from October 02-04, 2015. Her paper was titled "Profile of bone metastasis in differentiated thyroid carcinoma patients - a South Indian perspective." Her research was guided by Dr. Vasantha Nair, Professor, Endocrinology and Dr. Usha Menon, Associate Professor, Endocrinology at Amrita School of Medicine.
Dr. Srivatsa N., second year postgraduate resident in Orthopaedics has won the best poster award at the recently held OASISCON –2015 organized by Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States (OASIS). The poster was titled ‘Denosumab in the treatment of Giant Cell Tumor of the bone.’ He was guided by Dr. Krishnakumar R., Consultant Spine Surgeon and Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences,Cochin.
“This year the competition was tough” said Dr Srivatsa. “There were 121 posters competing for the award, out of which 34 posters entered the final round. Our poster described the role of Denosumab; which is a novel human monoclonal antibody RANKL inhibitor; on treating Giant Cell Tumour of bone. We have documented the clinical, radiological and histopathological changes due to Denosumab on the tumor, which was well appreciated by the audience and jury”.
Dr. Srivatsa N., Second year Postgraduate Resident in Orthopaedics
Dr. Krishnakumar R., Consultant Spine Surgeon and Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, AIMS, Kochi
Dr. Krishnakumar, who guided Dr Srivatsa added “the problem with the treatment of Giant cell tumor lies in the recurrence rate. Although the recurrence rate has come down with extended curettage, some cases with fractures with extension of tumor into soft tissue pose a challenge. We have used Denosumab in one such situation to prevent the chances of recurrence of the tumor.” He continued “we are happy to see our postgraduates performing well at national level conferences. Infact, last year also we had secured the best poster award at OASISCON 2014 by Dr Aravind Madanan who presented on ‘Naked facets in Thoracolumbar spinal fractures.’ Such awards do play a significant role in motivating junior postgraduate residents as well.”
- Dr. Sujesh Kumar N., final-year MD resident, Biochemistry won the First Prize for oral presentation at DIABCON 2015, a national conference, held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Thiruvalla on 11th July 2015. There were fifteen participants for the oral presentation. His study was titled “Association between High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein and Urine Albumin Creatinine ratio in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus”. The study was guided by Dr. Sajitha Krishnan, Professor and Dr. K. N. Subhakumari, Professor and Head, Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine.
- Dr. Himesh R. Gandhi, final-year MCh Resident in Urology has bagged the best poster prize at the Annual Meeting of the prestigious American Urological Association held at New Orleans during May 15 - 19, 2015. This paper was highly appreciated among the 20 posters presented from the best institutions all over the world including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) and Mayo clinic. This work is a collaborative effort of the Department of Urology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Amrita Center for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine.
Dr. Himesh R. Gandhi, final-year MCh Resident in Urology
Dr. Himesh R. Gandhi at the Annual Meeting of the prestigious American Urological Association
The study was guided by Dr. Appu Thomas, Professor, Department of Urology,Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences. Dr. Vinoth K. Laksmanan, Assistant Professor, Amrita Center for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine was the co-guide.
- Dr. Sindhura Manne, final-year MD Resident, Dermatology, received first prize in case report section for her paper "Pseudobubo - A Case Report" in the Kerala State Conference of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists held at Kannur during May 9 - 10, 2015.
- Dr. Keerthi G. Nambiar, final-year MD Resident, Dermatology, received second prize in case study section for her paper "Topical Immunotherapy - A Hair Raising Magic Potion" in the Kerala State Conference of Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists held at Kannur during May 9 - 10, 2015.
- Dr. Aziz K. S., DM Resident, Pulmonary Medicine, received second prize for his paper "Predictors of mortality in severe sepsis in Medical ICU" in the recently concluded 17th Annual Conference of Academy of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine jointly organized with Cochin Thoracic Society, held at IMA Hall Kochi during May 8 - 10, 2015.
- Dr. Melvin J. George, Fellow in Orthopaedics, has been selected for podium presentation in the prestigious ‘36th SICOT Orthopaedic World Congress’ (Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie) to be held in Guangzhou, China in September 2015.
His paper titled ‘Study of intra-operative measurements of distal femur with respect to the femoral components in Indian patients undergoing TKA’ was done at the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences under the guidance of Dr. Jai Thilak, Professor, Orthopaedics. It is one among the few papers selected from India.
- Dr. Anjith Vuppituri, final year DM Cardiology resident, received the “Young Investigator Award - 2015” for his study "Heart Fatty Acid Binding Protein (H-FABP) as an Early Diagnostic Biomarker in Patients
with Acute Chest Pain".
Dr. Anjith Vuppituri, final year DM Cardiology Resident, receiving Young Investigator Award - 2015
The paper was also selected as the best paper presented, in the Cardiological Society of India-Kerala Chapter Conference held during May 02 - 03, 2015 at Calicut. Dr. K. U. Natarajan, Professor and Head of the Department of Cardiology guided Dr. Anjith in this original research work.
- Dr. Antony R. Joy - final-year DM resident, Department of Gastroenterology won the best poster award for his paper titled "Donor to recipient matching in Living Donor Liver Transplantation" at the Annual Meeting of ISG - Kerala Chapter held during April 18 - 19, 2015. Dr. Antony also secured the second prize for oral presentation for his paper titled "Efficacy and Feasibility of Stroop Test (Smart Phone Application) for the diagnosis of minimal hepatic encephalopathy in patients with Cirrhosis of Liver."
- Dr. Harshavardhan Rao - final-year DM resident, Department of Gastroenterology won second prize for poster presentation for his paper titled "Prognostic value of arterial lactate levels at admission in patients with variceal haemorrhage" at the Annual Meeting of ISG - Kerala Chapter held during April 18 - 19, 2015.
- Dr. Janardhanan, final-year postgraduate resident and Dr. Reghuveer Reddy, second-year postgraduate resident, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, won the best paper awards in the PG Resident category in the Annual Meeting of Kerala Plastic Surgeons Association in Munnar held during April 17 - 19, 2015. Dr. Janardhanan's paper was titled "Challenges in the management of large arteriovenous malformation" and Dr. Reghuveer's paper was titled "Abdominoplasty tissue for resident training."
- Dr. Mrigakshi Gupta - first year DTCD trainee in the Department of Pulmonary Medicine won the first prize in the CT chest case presentation in the South Zone Post Graduate Talent hunt conducted under the aegis of Indian Chest Society during January 17 - 18, 2015 at Mangalore. Her paper titled "Rare diagnosis can also be rarely correct" narrated a left lower lobe arteriovenous malformation which presented as a solitary lung mass in the chest roentgenograph as well as CT chest.
- Ms. Meenakshy Nair - MBBS 2014 batch won the first prize for her paper titled "High Origin and Anomalous Course of Right Radial Artery - A Case Report" in the oral presentation (undergraduate students category) at the 27th State Level Annual Conference cum CME of the Kerala Chapter of Anatomical Society of India held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Thiruvalla on February 14, 2015.
- Mr. Sudhip Krishnan - MBBS 2014 batch won the third prize for his paper titled "Luminal Plastination of Tracheo-Bronchial Tree" in the oral presentation (undergraduate students category) at the 27th State Level Annual Conference cum CME of the Kerala Chapter of Anatomical Society of India held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Thiruvalla on February 14, 2015.
- Ms. Reshma Rajeev - MBBS 2014 batch won the first prize for her poster titled "Morphological Study of Suprascapular Notch in Human Scapulae" in the poster presentation (undergraduate students category) at the 27th State Level Annual Conference cum CME of the Kerala Chapter of Anatomical Society of India held at Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Thiruvalla on February 14, 2015.
- Dr. Naresh Kumar – Resident, Department of Neurosurgery won the best paper presentation award for his paper titled "A Multimodel Approach to Achieve Superior Outcomes in the Surgical Management of Extra Temporal Lobe Epilepsy" at the 16th Joint Annual Conference of Indian Epilepsy Association and Indian Epilepsy Society at Chennai during February 6-8, 2015.
- Dr. Devi Bhanu – Second year Resident, Department of Radiology won the third prize in e-poster competition for her poster titled "Methodologies of Guided Intra-articular Injections in Juvenile Idiopathic Artritis " at the 68th Annual Conference of Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) held at Kochi during January 29 to February 01, 2015.
- The study " Impact of CD 68 positive tumour - associated macrophages in survival of classical Hodgkins lymphoma" done by Dr. Rohit, third-year postgraduate resident, Department of Pathology in conjunction with Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology was presented as an oral presentation by Dr. Mathew Jose, third year DM resident, Medical Oncology at the recently concluded SAARC Federation of Oncology - International Meet held at New Delhi during November 2014 and was honored with second prize.
- Dr. Preyeamvadha R., Senior Resident, Department of Pediatrics won the award for the best oral presentation in the postgraduate category at the 28th South Zone PEDICON and 43rd Annual Conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Kerala state, held at Thrissur during November 14-16, 2014. The study was titled "Study of Ventilator Associated Pneumonia in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit of a Tertiary Care Hospital."
- Karandeep Guleria – MBBS 2008 Batch, won second position in Paper presentation, pulsating minds in 39th Annual South Asian Socio – Cultural, literary and sports meet, Pulse 2011, conducted by All India Institute of Medical Sciences. Four other students from the same batch - Sumit Agarwal, Brijesh Kumar, Anoop Singh and Piyush Agarwal also presented posters in the meet.
- Dr. Vineet Sakhi Reddy – IIIrd year MS Resident won the 1st prize and Dr. Revathy A K – IInd year MS Resident won 2nd prize for Poster presentation in 11th scientific national Symposium on Endocrine tumors held at CMC, Vellore.
- Dr. Abijeet, PG student in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery - During the annual meeting of the Kerala Plastic surgeons association held in Kottayam, bagged C Thomas Endowment Prize awarded for the best paper in PG section.
- Dr. Sakthivel, DM Endocrinology Resident cleared his MRCP Speciality Certificate Examination in Diabetes and Endocrinology (MRCP SCE).
- Dr. Anirudh Nair, PG Resident in Radiodiagnosis attended international conference of Euiropean Society of Radiology (ESR 2013) at Vienna, Australia in April 2013.
- Following MBBS students awarded Short Term Studentship grant from ICMR (Rs.5000/- per month for two months) for research :
- Dr. Bharath C (MD Trainee in Radiation Oncology) won 2nd Prize in Poster presentation in the International Symposium on Non-Hodgkin`s Lymphoma - 2013 at Cancer Institute (WIA) Adyar, on September 07 & 08 2013. Topic: "Patterns of care and outcome analysis in Primary Tonsillar Lymphomas: An 8 year Experience"
- Dr. Jayashree Natarajan MD Student in Obstetrics & Gynaecology presented a poster on " A twister tale of a uterine mass" and awarded 2nd prize in the poster competition held as part of the scientific deliberations of IMPACT 2013 held at Trivandrum.
- Ashish S Shah MBBS 2011 Topic Study of biochemical parameters (CRP, fasting plasma insulin, Liver enzyme pannel and lipid profile) in non diabeticobeze and diabetic obese patients Guide Dr Sujaya,Assistant Professor, Biochemistry
- Thashreefa Olakara MBBS 2011 Topic: Thyroid profile in type II Diabetes –Mellitus Guide Dr KN Subhakumari, Clinical Professor and HOD, Biochemistry
- Aswathi Krishnan Raju MBBS, 2011, Topic: Correlation between BNP levels and renal failure associted cardiac failure Guide Dr Sajitha Krishnan,Clinical professor, Biochemistry
- Shilpa Vijayakumar MBBS 2011 , Topic: Vitamin D deficiency and its extra- osseous manifestations Guide Dr Jagathlal, Associate professor of Biochemistry
- Dr. Anirudh Nair, PG Resident in Radiodiagnosis, attended the Euopean Society of Radiology (ESR 2013) International conference held at Vienna,Austria in March 2013. He presented his educational exhibit titled 'Innovative lymphangiography and its utility in the interventional management of chylothorax'
- Dr Karthik Tummala (DM Cardiology Resident) : paper on "Long term clinical outcomes of long paclitaxel drug eluting stents" presented at the recently concluded Asia PCR (Sing Live), a prestigious international conference on interventional Cardiology held in Singapore. This was the only abstract from India which was selected for oral presentation in this conference.
- Dr. Praveen Yadav , DM Neurology Resident - won the best paper award in the recently concluded State Conference of Neurological Society of India for his work on "Silent periods, a rare neuroelcetrophysiological technique, useful in the evaluation of peripheral neuropathy " .
- Dr Ravi , MD Resident in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation won 2nd place in the poster competition at the recently concluded National conference of The Indian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation held at NIMHANS.
- Dr. Bismay Kumar, DM Resident in Nephrology, won the second prize for Poster presentation at the Indian Society of Nephrology (SC) annual conference held at Vijayawada on 8 to 10 Febraray 2013 Dept. of Nephrology had two oral presentations and one poster presentation for the conference.
- Dr. Anirudh Nair won the Best Poster award in the innovation category for `An innovative lymphangiographic technique and its utility in the interventional management of chylothorax` at the Indians society of vascular and interventional radiology (ISVIR) national conference at Coimbatore. The poster will find a place in the scientific exhibits of the Interventional society of USA (SIR) national convention in New Orleans later this year.
- Dr. Rohan Shah, MCh Neurosurgery Resident, awarded prize for the best platform presentation for his paper "outcomes in carotid endarterectomy" during the Annual conference of the Kerala chapter of the Neurological Society of India held at Kochi on 16-17 Feb 2013. Dr.Naresh, DNB trainee was jointly awarded the first prize for the poster presentation for his paper ‘clinoid and paraclinoid aneurysms’.
- Dr. Puneet Ahluwalia, (2nd year M.Ch Resident in Urology), won first prize in poster presentation on "RCC associated with "Xp11.2 translocation/TFE3 gene fusion: a case report with review of literature" at the Urology National Conference (USICON 2013) held at Pune from 17th - 20th January, 2013.
- Dr. Janhvi Bhate (2nd year PG Resident) won the Third Prize in Oral Paper presentation (Topic: Correlation between pre-operative FNAC and post-operative HPE) during the above conference
- Dr. Sakthivel, DM student in Endocrinology Cleared the "Fellowship in European Committee of Sexual Medicine" Exam held at Amsterdam on Dec 5th,2012. He is the First Indian to secure a European Committee approved Sexual Medicine Fellowship.
- Dr. Karthik Ganesh & Dr.Renu, MD General Medicine students secured second position in Diabetes QUIZ conducted at Thrissur on 15-11 12 by Thrissur Diabetic Club.
- Dr. P. Shriduth, Postgraduate student in Radiodiagnosis won the Second Best Award for paper presentation in the " Padmasree Kakarla Subbarao Gold Medal Competition for best papers presented by a postgraduate student in Radiology" held at Nizam Institute of Medical sciences, Hyderabad on 10th November 2012.
- Inter College Quiz Competition Sudheesh S and Piyush Agrawal, 2008 batch MBBS students bagged first prize in Intercollegiate Pulmonology quiz competition for MBBS students held on 10-11-2012 at Amala Medical College, Thrissur in connection with World COPD day, 2012.
- Dr Dayanand, M . Ch. student (Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery) awarded the "Best Ongoing Research Project" award for his project "Use of injectable cartilage for ear reconstruction". The award is instituted by The Association of Plastic Surgeons with the intention of promoting research activities.
- Sudeesh S, 2008 batch MBBS student won First prize in the All Kerala Obstetrics & Gynaecology quiz competition conducted by Kerala Federation of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (KFOG ) at Alleppey on October 13, 2012.
- Dr. Deepa Devdas, Dr. Seema Valsalan, Dr. Greeshma Biju awarded the Dr.Jayavelu Award for best paper in P.G. category during the 35th Annual Conference of Association of Anatomists-Tamil Nadu conducted at Saveetha Medical college-Kancheepuram, Chennai on October 13 - 14, 2012
- At a nation-wide scholarship exam conducted by Torrent Pharmaceuticals, second year Endocrinology DNB students claimed the two top prizes. Dr. R. Bharat stood first and received a scholarship amount of Rs. 1 lakh. Dr. Anish Ahmed came in second and received an amount of Rs. 50,000.
- Dr. Bindhu M. R. & Dr. Mohana S. N. of the first batch of second year DNB (Diplomate of National Board) students of Pathology cleared the DNB exam held in December 2008 in the very first attempt.
- Dr. Sashidhar, DNB student in the Department of Anesthesia won the gold medal for his performance in the DNB Anesthesia Exam, December 2008.
- Dr. L. Srinivas is a second year fellow in the Department of Pediatric Cardiology won the AV Gandhi Award for Excellence in Cardiology in April 2009. The award carries a citation, a gold medal and a cash award of Rs 1 lakh for the candidate and Rs 50,000 for the department.
- Mr. Kannappan, MBBS student won the Best Poster Award for his paper titled "Isolation and validation of biomarker MMP1 from salivary transcriptome for early diagnosis and prognosis of oral cancer" during the ACBICON - 2009, the National Conference of Association of Clinical Biochemsits of India held from 5-11-2009 to 7-11-2009.