'Biochemistry - Practical' is a course offered in the second semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Qualitative analysis of carbohydrates (Glucose, Fructose, Lactose, Maltose, Sucrose and starch)
- Identification tests for Proteins (albumin and Casein)
- Quantitative analysis of reducing sugars (DNSA method) and Proteins (Biuret method)
- Qualitative analysis of urine for abnormal constituents
- Determination of blood creatinine
- Determination of blood sugar
- Determination of serum total cholesterol
- Preparation of buffer solution and measurement of pH
- Study of enzymatic hydrolysis of starch
- Determination of Salivary amylase activity
- Study the effect of Temperature on Salivary amylase activity.
- Study the effect of substrate concentration on salivary amylase activity.
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- Principles of Biochemistry by Lehninger.
- Harper’s Biochemistry by Robert K. Murry, Daryl K. Granner and Victor W. Rodwell.
- Biochemistry by Stryer.
- Biochemistry by D. Satyanarayan and U.Chakrapani
- Textbook of Biochemistry by Rama Rao.
- Textbook of Biochemistry by Deb.
- Outlines of Biochemistry by Conn and Stumpf
- Practical Biochemistry by R.C. Gupta and S. Bhargavan.
- Introduction of Practical Biochemistry by David T. Plummer. (3rd Edition)
- Practical Biochemistry for Medical students by Rajagopal and Ramakrishna.
- Practical Biochemistry by Harold Varley.