'Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry II - Practical' is a course offered in the third semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Experiments involving laboratory techniques
- Steam distillation
- Determination of following oil values (including standardization of reagents)
- Acid value
- Saponification value
- Iodine value
- Preparation of compounds
- Benzanilide/Phenyl benzoate/Acetanilide from Aniline/ Phenol /Aniline by acylation reaction.
- 2,4,6-Tribromo aniline/Para bromo acetanilide from Aniline/
- Acetanilide by halogenation (Bromination) reaction.
- 5-Nitro salicylic acid/Meta di nitro benzene from Salicylic acid / Nitro benzene by nitration reac- tion.
- Benzoic acid from Benzyl chloride by oxidation reaction.
- Benzoic acid/ Salicylic acid from alkyl benzoate/ alkyl salicylate by hydrolysis reaction.
- 1-Phenyl azo-2-napthol from Aniline by diazotization and coupling reactions./
- Benzil from Benzoin by oxidation reaction.
- Dibenzal acetone from Benzaldehyde by Claison Schmidt reaction
- Cinnammic acid from Benzaldehyde by Perkin reaction
- P-Iodo benzoic acid from P-amino benzoic acid
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- Organic Chemistry byMorrison and Boyd
- Organic Chemistry by I.L. Finar , Volume-I
- Textbook of Organic Chemistry by B.S. Bahl & Arun Bahl.
- Organic Chemistry by P.L.Soni
- Practical Organic Chemistry byMann and Saunders.
- Vogel’s text book of Practical Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Practical organic chemistry by N.K.Vishnoi.
- Introduction to Organic Laboratory techniques by Pavia, Lampman and Kriz.