'Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry II - Practical' is a course offered in the third semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Determination of radiation constant of brass, iron, unpainted and painted glass.
- Steam distillation – To calculate the efficiency of steam distillation.
- To determine the overall heat transfer coefficient by heat exchanger.
- Construction of drying curves (for calcium carbonate and starch).
- Determination of moisture content and loss on drying.
- Determination of humidity of air – i) From wet and dry bulb temperatures –use of Dew point method.
- Description of Construction working and application of Pharmaceutical Machinery such as rotary tablet machine, fluidized bed coater, fluid energy mill, de humidifier.
- Size analysis by sieving – To evaluate size distribution of tablet granulations – Construction of vari- ous size frequency curves including arithmetic and logarithmic probability plots.
- Size reduction: To verify the laws of size reduction using ball mill and determining Kicks, Ritting- er’s, Bond’s coefficients, power requirement and critical speed of Ball Mill.
- Demonstration of colloid mill, planetary mixer, fluidized bed dryer, freeze dryer and such other major equipment.
- Factors affecting Rate of Filtration and Evaporation (Surface area, Concentration and Thickness/ viscosity
- To study the effect of time on the Rate of Crystallization.
- To calculate the uniformity Index for given sample by using Double Cone Blender.