'Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry I Practical' is a course offered in the fourth semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Analysis of crude drugs by chemical tests: (i)Tragaccanth (ii) Acacia (iii)Agar (iv) Gelatin (v) starch
(vi) Honey (vii) Castor oil
- Determination of stomatal number and index.
- Determination of vein islet number, vein islet termination and paliside ratio.
- Determination of size of starch grains, calcium oxalate crystals by eye piece micrometer
- Determination of Fiber length and width
- Determination of number of starch grains by Lycopodium spore method
- Determination of Ash value
- Determination of Extractive values of crude drugs
- Determination of moisture content of crude drugs
- Determination of swelling index and foaming
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- W.C.Evans, Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy, 16th edition, W.B. Sounders & Co., London, 2009.
- Tyler, V.E., Brady, L.R. and Robbers, J.E., Pharmacognosy, 9th Edn., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1988.
- Text Book of Pharmacognosy by T.E. Wallis
- Mohammad Ali. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, CBS Publishers & Distribution, New Delhi.
- Text book of Pharmacognosy by C.K. Kokate, Purohit, Gokhlae (2007), 37th Edition, Nirali Prakashan, New Delhi.
- Herbal drug industry by R.D. Choudhary (1996), Ist Edn, Eastern Publisher, New Delhi.
- Essentials of Pharmacognosy, Dr.SH.Ansari, IInd edition, Birla publications, New Delhi, 2007
- Practical Pharmacognosy: C.K. Kokate, Purohit, Gokhlae
- Anatomy of Crude Drugs byM.A. Iyengar