About Wind Energy Center
Amrita wind energy center is the first one of its kind in the country, being set up with support from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, New Delhi through Center for Wind Energy Technology, Chennai, which is the apex body on Wind Energy.
The center is the result of a memorandum of understanding between Amrita University, Center for Wind Energy Technology, and Indian Wind Turbine Manufacturers Association (IWTMA).
Electrical and Electronics, Aerospace, Mechanical, Electronics and Communication and Chemical departments of ASE, ASB and Center of Excellence of Computational Engineering and Networking at Coimbatore Campus are involved in the various research projects.
The center had offered two IWTMA scholarship diploma programs to students besides facilitating their placement. The two programs together trained more than 30 students in the year 2011- 2012.
The Center have following resources
- Small turbine testing
- Wind electric generator schemes
- Wind speed and weather monitoring and recording system
- Softwares for wind resource assessment and wind power analysis on electric power grid
The center has two broad objectives:
- Manpower development for wind power industry at graduate diploma level and
- Laboratory facility development for wind power at Amrita University, Coimbatore.