Professional Bodies at Department of Mechanical Engineering, Coimbatore Campus
INDIAN WELDING SOCIETY
The Indian Welding Society (IWS)was started on 14th March 2002 by welding professionals from leading fabrication industries to educational and research institutes around the country, mainly with the idea of providing a forum for propagation and exchange of ideas and developments in the welding industry. In this short span of time, the IWS has spread to four prominent zones of the country namely the Western, Southern, Northern & central zones and has more than 2000 active members.
The IWS AMRITA chapter was formed on Nov 22 2012 in the college. The chapter was formally inaugurated by Dr. Murugan, Head of the Department, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore and Dr. V. Balusamy, Associate Professor, Dept. Of Metallurgical Engineering , PSG College of Technology, coimbatore under the patronage of Dr. K. Ramesh Kumar Chairman, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Amrita School of Engineering, coimbatore. A seminar on Advances in Welding Technology was conducted by Dr. Rajashekar, Senior Manager ,Welding Research Institute(WRI), Trichy on the same day. In the following week the office bearers were selected and this marked the beginning of the activities for the year 2012. At present IWS AMRITA has 45 members from the Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering.
Dr. Rajasekhar, Senior Manager, WRI giving a seminar on Advances in Welding Technology
IWS AMRITA Activities:
- Since its inception, the IWS Amrita chapter has seen active participation from all its members
- B Kiruthi Murugan, Adhitan R K presented paper titled” Study on Filler material addition in Friction Stir Welding” International Symposium on Joining of Materials, SOJOM 2012, Organised by WRI, Trichy during 19th to 22nd January 2012 .
- B Kiruthi Murugan, Adhitan R K presented paper titled “Feasibility of Coaxial Filler material addition in Friction Stir Welding” International Conference on Futuristic trends in Mechanical Engineering held in Thiruvalluvar College in Vandavasi during January 28-29, 2012
- Three office bearers attended the International Symposium on Joining of Materials, SOJOM 2012, Organised by WRI, Trichy during 19th to 22nd January 2012 .
- The chapter planning to conduct the regular Seminars for IWS members with expert lectures.